Rubicon Locker: Fact or Myth

That seems to be the case, at least my rear Rubicon locker is still holding together.

Do you have a "writeup for dummies" on how you did yours? I saw the old posts but didn't save them. I'd screw it up without pics. Two wires like a light bulb comes to mind. 🤫
p.s. Can I visit you in Florida if it gets too complicated?

Reactions: trojandawg
I say we get a test group together. Lets take a group of TJ Rubicons to AOP for a weekend and give them hell without anybody engaging their rear lockers. If we make it through the weekend with no exploded lockers the myth is busted :)

Sounds great to me.... I’m going to take @tr21triton s.

Do you have a "writeup for dummies" on how you did yours? I saw the old posts but didn't save them. I'd screw it up without pics. Two wires like a light bulb comes to mind. 🤫

Hey it really is extremely simple- There are only three wires- As far as the Ken white method and that allows everything to work at the dash normally-

There is the front locker wire and the rear lock or wire and - And the ground.

I am probably the lowest guy on the totem pole as far as Electrical savvy and I was able to do it.

But if you go to Florida swing through Alabama and get me- please. 👍

How does this work? I seem to recall my + wiring for my 04 compressors had a different color than shown here but you just have to ground the black wire and apply +12v to the other wires until it turns on.

Rubicon Locker Switches.JPG

That seems to be the case, at least my rear Rubicon locker is still holding together.

And tell me if I’m wrong- Yours have been well used.

At the same time his testimony is coupled with his knowledge of using the lockers - In other words he has not depended on the limited slip differential Offroad and has operated in such a way to preserve it-

Which my take would be the smartest of use in the toughest conditions

Last edited:
Just a thought, but it must be a known well enough issue to Jeep that they only used that locker in 03-06? Didn't Jeep go to e-lockers in the JKs? So while a pretty cool concept, Jeep must have figured out there was an issue? Just stirring the pot... ;-)

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
And tell me if I’m wrong- Yours have been well used.

At the same time his testimony is coupled with his knowledge of using the lockers - In other words he has not depended on the limited slip differential Offroad and has operated in such a way to preserve it-

Which might take would be the smartest of use in the toughest conditions

I wheeled mine many years without knowing about the 'weak' LSD; with no issues.
After reading a few threads on here, I started locking mine more often (just in case it's true).
I'm sure Blaine had something to do with my decision.

I have override switches in addition to the factory wiring.

I say we get a test group together. Lets take a group of TJ Rubicons to AOP for a weekend and give them hell without anybody engaging their rear lockers. If we make it through the weekend with no exploded lockers the myth is busted :)

I believe it was Blaine who shared a story of this exact situation several years ago.

I could totally be misremembering, but essentially, a group of then-new TJRs went on a group trip to the Rubicon trail. They all wanted to show how good the LSD worked, so they kept their rear lockers unlocked. By the end of the trail, the majority had broken rear lockers.

I believe it was Blaine who shared a story of this exact situation several years ago.

I could totally be misremembering, but essentially, a group of then-new TJRs went on a group trip to the Rubicon trail. They all wanted to show how good the LSD worked, so they kept their rear lockers unlocked. By the end of the trail, the majority had broken rear lockers.

You know Blaine has a seen it all. Failures teach.

I’m glad I know more- my take away is the Rubicon rear needs locked under hard use-

You know Blaine has a seen it all. Failures teach.

I’m glad I know more- my take away is the Rubicon rear needs locked under hard use-

did you say HARD USE ? Hell I'm so scared now I'll have mine locked going over speed bumps in the mall parking lot ! I'd hate to spin a tire and have the WEAK Dana 44 explode ;) I've already exploded a dana44 front in a 71 ford bronco don't want to do that again....