Rubicon Locker: Fact or Myth

I'm thinking something a little more capable of off road, like this !
1705538998518.png

Was it a pretty extreme situation- like Johnson Valley- Were they beating on it pretty hard

I knew if anybody had you probably had-

I’m just trying to get a feel for what the vehicle can handle unlocked -

Kind of good to know the limits before you start trying to find ‘em...
I can say my experience doing lots of burnouts and power sliding and one or three 2nd gear clutch kicks on wet pavement as well as routine full throttle down dirt roads pretending I’m in a rally car with plenty of wheel spin I have not broken my lsd.

I have also broke a pinion shaft taking off hard in 2wd after a bearing failure in the dry.

I do always lock it in 4low due to this forums advice but now I’m thinking, is rubi 4low any worse than how I treat it?

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
Did the @jerrybransford mod a year or more ago.

My memory of my subsequent research tells me @mrblaine explained locking the rear is recommended in both poor traction - loose dirt with a bit of speed included (cornering), and in excellent traction (Moab) conditions - with a good explanation of the gazintas/gazoutas of course. It's in one of those threads.

It's one of my favorite mods along with seat risers 😆. Lock the rear in 2wd and let it rip. And it's so easy.

WOW THE PANIC IS ON!!!!
The Turtle been to California mountains of Big Bear, deserts of Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree, Mexico trails Baja 1000 and 500 at slow to moderate speeds, Copper Canyon in Chihuahua Mexico, beautiful trails in Sedona AZ including Broken arrow, Death Valley, Yosemite and Sierras in Ca. All Done with stock front and rear drivelines with 3” Rubicon super flex spring lift with lower control arms and shocks, never broke anything. If you Trail and/or crawl smart and know your limits and your Jeeps setup limits too enjoy the challenges. My trailing Ive only Locked them up where I thought was necessary without worrying about blowing out gears needless to say I’ve banged up the pumpkins control arms and skid plates pretty good and the paint looks like a map at close range but The Turtle alway took me home and she’s now at 188k plus miles and going strong (knocking on wood).

2 hours of my time for an ounce of prevention + cool aircraft switches. 😂
And I like locking in 4-hi or 2wd.

I’m glad I know more- my take away is the Rubicon rear needs locked under hard use-

Too bad your rear lug nuts didn't get the memo. ;) Damn those people like @John Cooper and @tr21triton that pretend to be your friends. That death duck just magically appeared on your bumper? I would have an easier time believing in Aliens or Joe not having Dementia, but I've seen both on TV. :rolleyes:

Last edited: