Rubicon Transfer Case Noise

erokj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Specs: LJR with NSG370

Whenever I'm wheeling in first gear (or any gear for that matter) low range and no feet on the pedals, I get this noise whenever torque is applied and removed. It's almost like there is play or movement in the chain or between gears? I can tell its coming from the transfer case and it does not make any noise in 2WD. Is this normal?

Thank you

I have the same rattle; I posted here a couple years ago and didn’t get an explanation.

I think it is a standard feature of all 2006 red LJs.

Reactions: erokj
First you need to make sure your front driveshaft is in top condition-

I have heard of transfer case change slap but I would eliminate everything I possibly could

When I get in tough terrain and am bouncing I get that as well in 4lo only. Front driveshaft rebuilt, just had the t-case in half to seal it back up and everything was perfect. I also had a 5-speed xj (red) that for some reason I want to say did the same thing. Like @TRevs said, it's a red jeep thing LOL.

With my manual (AX15), I hear the same thing. My son's 42RLE, not so much. I believe the torque converter in the automatic transmission smooths it out.

There is a lot of gear lash between the tires on the ground to the transmission, ie: differential, T-case chain, etc. The manual transmission doesn't compensate for this as much as the automatic.

If the 241 is like the 231 in that respect, I think it's normal. When I had my freshly rebuilt one on the bench and spun the input shaft back and forth, there was about 5-10* of rotation slop to the front output. It's in the way the input shaft engages with the teeth of the planetary I think.

I don’t think it’s driveshafts either.

Mine happens in 4H and 2H as well, but it’s harder to elicit than in 4L. Try bouncing the throttle a bit in 2H -reverse.

I think it’s normal play in the drivetrain. It hasn’t grown any worse in 3 years.

I don’t think it’s driveshafts either.

Mine happens in 4H and 2H as well, but it’s harder to elicit than in 4L. Try bouncing the throttle a bit in 2H -reverse.

I think it’s normal play in the drivetrain. It hasn’t grown any worse in 3 years.

That's what I've been reading so far. It's very annoying while wheeling.

I'm considering a hand throttle. If the throttle position is held at a low setting then there is "constant" torque on the drivetrain. At least that's what I'm thinking.