Salvage or non-salvage?

@Squatch, what should I look for in terms of the radiator? I find aluminum and metal core brass tank radiators. The brass are more expensive.

@Squatch, what should I look for in terms of the radiator? I find aluminum and metal core brass tank radiators. The brass are more expensive.
I have always sought out the brass tanks, myself. For one, they're rebuildable. In fact, I'm going to have my TJ's radiator re-cored (it's the OEM brass tank). I'm not a fan of aftermarket plastic tanks, nor aluminum cores, but some may feel differently. If so, I'm sure they'll let you know. ;)

I have always sought out the brass tanks, myself. For one, they're rebuildable. In fact, I'm going to have my TJ's radiator re-cored (it's the OEM brass tank). I'm not a fan of aftermarket plastic tanks, nor aluminum cores, but some may feel differently. If so, I'm sure they'll let you know. ;)
Thank you. Also, do you know what the part is that I’m pointing to in this picture? It’s behind the front bumper between the frame brackets. The front bumper brackets attach to it.

621AFA67-426D-4E82-84B3-DC1BA847A292.jpeg

Jeremy,
While I can't be 100% certain (as that area on mine is covered by the bumper), I believe that what you're pointing at is the lower radiator core support. Runs between the frame rails. I'll bet yours is bent, based on the first pics you posted. Hit hard enough, that could potentially pull the frame horns inward toward each other. All fixable, to be sure, but you're going to get an education when you do it. Here's pics of the underside/backside of my '96. Yours may look slightly different, as I believe there were some changes starting in '95 or '96.
IMG_18651.jpg
image (11).jpg
image (12).jpg

This might be of interest to you...

Very helpful. I’m going to be finagling some things. I can’t find that part, so I’ll have to in order to get the new bumper bolted up. Thank you!

Reactions: Squatch
Oh man... Just seeing this. First, glad your daughter is ok. Learning to drive is a bitch and we all have momentary lapses in attention. Just last night, I backed my motorhome into the garage door... Shit happens.

Regarding the Cherokee, that's a tough call. It's a unibody vehicle and they can be hiding some pretty serious damage. If it drives straight and your not terribly worried about panel gaps, I'd fix it. Keep the clean title. Make your daughter get out in the garage with you and help fix it. Even if she's not doing anything more that fetching tools... She's gonna remember.

If it's not driving straight now.... I'd almost let it go. Getting the uni body frame straight is gonna be tough without a frame puller. As bad as the Tacoma looked... I'd be surprised if there isn't structural damage. She must have been traveling at a fair clip...

When my niece turned 16 we bought her an old volvo station wagon that was stick. I first taught her how to drive stick. In LA! Lol.

But then i took her to all the pick a parts in the county. And we bought every piece of missing trim or part that was better replaced.

I had her help me remove the parts at the junkyard. And paint them and put them on. It wasnt alot. But it got the car looking and running nice.

We eventually sold it and got her an automatic transmission. But she never forgot that.

She died last year. But that was one of her favorite stories. Of Uncle Pat fixing up her car with her. It taught her a valuable experience. But it also bonded us.

You'll be surprised what a little car repair will do with your relationship to a child.

When my niece turned 16 we bought her an old volvo station wagon that was stick. I first taught her how to drive stick. In LA! Lol.

But then i took her to all the pick a parts in the county. And we bought every piece of missing trim or part that was better replaced.

I had her help me remove the parts at the junkyard. And paint them and put them on. It wasnt alot. But it got the car looking and running nice.

We eventually sold it and got her an automatic transmission. But she never forgot that.

She died last year. But that was one of her favorite stories. Of Uncle Pat fixing up her car with her. It taught her a valuable experience. But it also bonded us.

You'll be surprised what a little car repair will do with your relationship to a child.
Wanted to :love: that story, right up until the part where you mentioned her passing last year... 😔 Sorry for your loss, brother...

Wanted to :love: that story, right up until the part where you mentioned her passing last year... 😔 Sorry for your loss, brother...
Ya. It was sad. She was only 38. Died of liver failure from alcohol. She had a rough upbringing. Her mother had mental health issues and ran off her father when she was a baby. My wife and i raised her from 15 on. But the damage had been done. She was a beautiful sweet girl.

OP take advantage of this situation. Get your daughter involved. It will bring you together in ways she will never forget. And it will give you so much more than just a fixed Jeep. :)

Ya. It was sad. She was only 38. Died of liver failure from alcohol. She had a rough upbringing. Her mother had mental health issues and ran off her father when she was a baby. My wife and i raised her from 15 on. But the damage had been done. She was a beautiful sweet girl.

OP take advantage of this situation. Get your daughter involved. It will bring you together in ways she will never forget. And it will give you so much more than just a fixed Jeep. :)
So sorry to hear that. :(

Yeah, my love is because of how close it brought you, not her passing young. Some posts you need two options for emoji. For your loss, 😞

Reactions: Alex01 and Squatch
@Moab sorry to hear of your niece's passing. What is funny is that as I was giving Jeremy advice about having his daughter help fix the Jeep, I was thinking of my own niece. She lived with us for a summer while she was getting her nursing degree. She had a rotation at the local hospital. Her car was a pile... No two ways about it, but it ran good and drive reasonably straight down the road. She told me one day that she had to take it in.. when I asked why, she said it's grinding really bad. So we went for a ride and it was pretty easy to tell she had basically no brake pad left. So I asked her...

"Do you want to pay someone to fix it, or do you want to buy parts and help me fix it?"

We bought parts and I made her sit there with me while we fixed it. I told her what I was doing, pointed out important parts, and had her grab tools, tighten bolts, etc.

I about cried the day she called me, all proud of herself because she was able to do a brake job on her boyfriend's car. That girl is gonna be a keeper for someone.

Well, I tore it down this morning. Only issue is so can’t get one of the radaiator hard line nuts off the radiator. I might just get a new line. This one looks bad anyway.

The other issue was what I call the front crossmember. It’s welded to the frame and considered part of it. You need it dor the two bumper brackets. Jicky design if you ask me. It is torn a bit in the back and all bent in. Followed the basics of the video @Squatch sent me, but used my winch for a lot more control than that Jake-leg. It ain’t pretty, but it’s pretty straight across the front.

AD060F08-61BD-4DC2-8078-71729498ADA1.jpeg

6BF87875-E903-4D0E-B27D-9D2F9B9B13EF.jpeg

29E9C539-1087-44D7-83D7-CEAD5F0EBCB2.jpeg

Well, I tore it down this morning. Only issue is so can’t get one of the radaiator hard line nuts off the radiator. I might just get a new line. This one looks bad anyway.

The other issue was what I call the front crossmember. It’s welded to the frame and considered part of it. You need it dor the two bumper brackets. Jicky design if you ask me. It is torn a bit in the back and all bent in. Followed the basics of the video @Squatch sent me, but used my winch for a lot more control than that Jake-leg. It ain’t pretty, but it’s pretty straight across the front.

View attachment 266931

View attachment 266932

View attachment 266933
Already making some good progress! You're correct about the crossmember being welded to the frame rails, but I am almost certain they are only spot welds. One thing you could look into is drilling out those spot welds from a donor vehicle (wrecking yards are full of them in my neck of the woods) and remove the crossmember. Then repeat the process on your XJ, and install the straight donor piece. Of course, you would need to have it welded back in. If you aren't equipped to do so, there are often guys who have small "mobile welding" businesses, where they come out with their own equipment, and do the job right there at your house. Might be worth looking into, if you aren't satisfied with your current results. Just a thought...

Already making some good progress! You're correct about the crossmember being welded to the frame rails, but I am almost certain they are only spot welds. One thing you could look into is drilling out those spot welds from a donor vehicle (wrecking yards are full of them in my neck of the woods) and remove the crossmember. Then repeat the process on your XJ, and install the straight donor piece. Of course, you would need to have it welded back in. If you aren't equipped to do so, there are often guys who have small "mobile welding" businesses, where they come out with their own equipment, and do the job right there at your house. Might be worth looking into, if you aren't satisfied with your current results. Just a thought...
Mobile welders are all over craigslist.

WOW ! , How fortunate are you Squatch ? My family / extended family has had 6 XJ s and 5 TJs.
All of them had Plastic tank / Aluminum cores. The last OEM brass tank and core radiator I own is in an 1980 Chevy K-20.;)

WOW ! , How fortunate are you Squatch ? My family / extended family has had 6 XJ s and 5 TJs.
All of them had Plastic tank / Aluminum cores. The last OEM brass tank and core radiator I own is in an 1980 Chevy K-20.;)
I hear people finding oem radiators. But never saw one online. I assumed those were brass. I did find ac parts recently that are brass. And bought those.

I wonder if you could even find a brass radiator for a TJ? Im assuming not.

Reactions: Woodrow