Savvy control arm install questions

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
Zerks down or up? I think they’d be out of harm’s way facing up but then a grease gun can’t access the housing side zerk.

3099083C-A89F-4440-926B-EF63E2BE173B.jpeg

Can I use those washers on the front even though they don’t fit the U-shaped barrier for cam bolts? Will the clamping force be enough to keep the JJ from sliding around in the bracket?

76413A44-47F8-49F2-9139-E70797885D86.jpeg

one more question. Does anyone’s control arm contact their exhaust like this? This one is flowmaster, not stock.

Zerks up on the lowers, don't bank on greasing through the zerk anyway. You'll probably need to disassemble them to grease them properly anyway.

I think you technically can, but I went with the JJ Washers from BMB: https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Johnny-Joint-Washers-Set-of-4-US-Shipping-JJW4.htm

You'll have to redo some exhaust or accept the interference, cycle your axle to know if it's enough to really matter with the new arms once they're adjusted.

Reactions: Tob
I think you technically can, but I went with the JJ Washers from BMB: https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Johnny-Joint-Washers-Set-of-4-US-Shipping-JJW4.htm
Those washers will work perfect.
I’m not too concerned about it because I’ll be replacing those LCA brackets with non slotted ones soon anyways.

Thanks, y’all!

P.S. I’m assuming everyone’s stock exhaust doesn’t contact the control arm under droop. Not that it matters for me now but I’d like to know before I go around recommending that flowmaster y-pipe.

one more question. Does anyone’s control arm contact their exhaust like this? This one is flowmaster, not stock.

View attachment 240085

You may need to loosed the bolts at the exhaust manifolds and down pipes and use a ratchet strap to pull it towards driver side more then tighten back up the manifold bolts. May give you enough room to clearance.

Reactions: Tob
I've gotten in the habit of installing the zerk down, then I replace the zerk with an Allen bolt after they are greased up. When I grease up I remove the bolt, and temp install the zerk. I started doing this because I kept ripping zerks off my driveshafts and found it actually isn't that much of a pain to remove the bolt.

Reactions: TJ Starting
For the Zerks you can replace them with 90deg, or 45deg style. this way you can have them facing up and still be able to grease them!