Savvy gas tank skid backorder

I fully believe that and I looked at those pictures several times now but I can't figure out what you're referring to that doesn't exist on the Gas Tank Skid. Is the "area" totally not there or maybe bent better, or is the weld not there because it would make the area weak?
When you weld 6061 T6, the area at and around the weld is very weak since it takes it to -0 temper or the weakest temper of 6061. The weld below is about the worst place to put a weld in a tank skid, worst place would be to weld the mount flanges on at a 90 degree angle.
1655305895495.png

I'm also having some trouble understanding this. All I really need to know is if I order one from Savvy today, is there a chance I'd end up with a skid plate that doesn't have sides? I thought no sides was an early TJ factory style and something I want to avoid.
All Savvy skids have sides. The reason the Savvy has the T welds at the sides is the welds are going to crack if you beat on the skid. What you don't want is them hanging over the outside of the main skid so they can't be broken off and leave the skid which leaves the fuel tank very vulnerable.

The object of the skid is to protect the fuel tank. The object of the skid is NOT to remain 100% as built when it gets used, it is just there to stop the fuel tank from getting damaged. It is somewhat sacrificial in accomplishing that task.

I fully believe that and I looked at those pictures several times now but I can't figure out what you're referring to that doesn't exist on the Gas Tank Skid. Is the "area" totally not there or maybe bent better, or is the weld not there because it would make the area weak?

I'm also having some trouble understanding this. All I really need to know is if I order one from Savvy today, is there a chance I'd end up with a skid plate that doesn't have sides? I thought no sides was an early TJ factory style and something I want to avoid.
Mrblaine is referring to the corner weld instead of the T end weld I believe. The corner weld has been know to blow out of hit hard on the weld point directly.

As for the side cuts, The tank skid pictured is version 1. Savvy introduced a version 2 around a year ago. Unfortunately, they currently are not selling it, I specifically requested it a month a go and was told no.

1655336085686.png

Just wanted to say that I went through Savvy's Amazon site for the cable shifter and it shipped the next day...got it really fast. Maybe people will have better luck with that item there.

That's how I ordered mine couple weeks ago. Their stock says a consistent 4 in stock give or take. Ships next day. Delivers in 2 days.

Why the regrets on the MORE?

I haven't even installed it yet so my regrets aren't really warranted. It's only 1" and silver vs 1.25" and black.

I ordered their bomb proof MML also and Savvy's BL was on back order so I just went ahead and threw MOREs in the order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack
When you weld 6061 T6, the area at and around the weld is very weak since it takes it to -0 temper or the weakest temper of 6061. The weld below is about the worst place to put a weld in a tank skid, worst place would be to weld the mount flanges on at a 90 degree angle.
View attachment 337288

All Savvy skids have sides. The reason the Savvy has the T welds at the sides is the welds are going to crack if you beat on the skid. What you don't want is them hanging over the outside of the main skid so they can't be broken off and leave the skid which leaves the fuel tank very vulnerable.

The object of the skid is to protect the fuel tank. The object of the skid is NOT to remain 100% as built when it gets used, it is just there to stop the fuel tank from getting damaged. It is somewhat sacrificial in accomplishing that task.

Well thank you sir. No matter how long I kept looking, I may never have found that long ass weld. Makes perfect sense to avoid that.

I ordered a GTS on Tuesday and it shipped yesterday. @psrivats

note - The price has gone from $359 to $509 in the last couple of years.

i have contemplated selling mine so many times, but this ...not being able to replace it at anywhere close to what i got it for makes me think i'm stupid to let it go.

Reactions: lBasket and RINC