Savvy Transfer Case Cable Shifter Troubleshooting

gwolff

Hello everyone,

I recently installed a Savvy T Case Cable Shifter. I installed a 1" Body lift and engine lift a while back and the oem linkage wasn't cutting it - I suddenly would pop out of 4H. I love the new shifter. However, I noticed some unusual behavior and I'm thinking it may be related to the T case. For reference I have a 32RH and 4L

When I am in 2H, around 30mph, 2000rpm, if I let off the throttle there is an audible and tactile click. I tried recreating the symptom in 4H.. it is still there but almost unnoticeable. If I wasn't looking for it I wouldn't notice. It feels like its coming from the tcase/transmission area and I assume it's related to the recent install. At higher speeds, the issue does not occur.

I imagine it is an issue of tuning the cable shifter. I am able to shift the transfer case into all 4 positions. I am wondering someone here with much better knowledge of whats going on inside the tcase might be able to identify or confirm the issue is related to the shifter. I know there isn't a lot of information to go on.

The only reason I am not 100% confident it is related to the new shifter cable is because I also replaced the seal underneath the throttle valve/gear selector lever on the 32rh. It was leaking massively. I imagine it's *possible* that could have something to do with it. Before I go and mess with the adjusting of the cable shifter I thought I'd ask if anyone here has ideas. Thank you in advance.

Like I said, when I installed it and ran through the tcase shifts on the rack it seemed to engage each position well. Perhaps driving it around caused some things to settle and it needs to be readjusted. I just wasn't sure if the symptom I was experiencing was commonly related to some other issue.

Like I said, when I installed it and ran through the tcase shifts on the rack it seemed to engage each position well. Perhaps driving it around caused some things to settle and it needs to be readjusted. I just wasn't sure if the symptom I was experiencing was commonly related to some other issue.
The only thing I have really seen with that shifter is it popping out of gear, mostly 4LO , if it's not adjusted properly. I have never her of clicking.

Reference the attached thread in my previous post.. That was the solution, or at least the right direction.

I threw my tj back up on the lift and dropped the skid. I readjusted the cable shifter.. I found it to be binding a bit when in 2H, which I attribute to settling. I adjusted it and took the jeep out for a drive.. no change. Still clicking.

I played around and found I could also create the noise when I shifted into reverse while rolling forward at 1 or 2 mph. I threw it back up on the lifted and started checking all the nuts and bolts on my suspension, track bars, and steering. I recently replace my coil springs all around, and in doing so I loosened many of the control arm bolts.

I used this sheet as reference and confirmed the torque settings on all the aforementioned bolts.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Torque Specs (1997-2006)

I found that my rear upper control arms were not torqued where they met the axle. I probably overlooked them when I was putting things back together. I fixed that and took it for a test drive... no clicking. So that was probably it. What an embarrassment. Hopefully this thread can help someone else in the same situation.

Haha, we all make mistakes! Glad you figured it out and thanks for the follow-up.