Savvy Transfer Case Shifter Mishap

mynamesrickgrimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
In a previous thread, I mentioned swapping out an Atlas II for a 231. After removing the Atlas, I was left with a nice surprise... a mangled hole in the tub! (see pics below)

So I traced the hole and used a plasma cutter for an exact cut. Was able to install it pretty cleanly but am now having issues with my new Savvy cable setup being about 1-2" too long! Tried all of the nut adjustments but the cable is still too long.

I'm thinking I bolted the stock transfer case handle too far forward in the cab. What are your thoughts everyone? Does anyone have any photos of where the transfer case handle bracket should be?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The cool thing about the cable is that it doesn't matter where things are placed in order for it to work properly.

The jam nuts can be moved to shift the cable bias to correctly align the tc shift positions with the shift gate.

What issues are you having?

The cool thing about the cable is that it doesn't matter where things are placed in order for it to work properly.

The jam nuts can be moved to shift the cable bias to correctly align the tc shift positions with the shift gate.

What issues are you having?

I've played with the jam nut adjustments for awhile, and at their farthest adjustments, the cable is about 1.5" too long. Meaning... if I attach one end to the transfer case shifter, the other end (where the clevis attaches) does not fit.

I called Savvy and they basically told me to relocate the shifter handle... so I'm thinking I bolted it in too far forward.

Give us some pics of the cable and brackets from below. I'm sure someone can quickly spot the problem and solution.👍

My TJ is a 2006 with an automatic but I figure the body should be the same. Luckily I was able to zoom in on a picture I took while the console was removed in 2018. Compared to mine it does look like yours is about an inch or so too far forward.
IMG_20181005_114013136_copy.jpg

In a previous thread, I mentioned swapping out an Atlas II for a 231. After removing the Atlas, I was left with a nice surprise... a mangled hole in the tub! (see pics below)

So I traced the hole and used a plasma cutter for an exact cut. Was able to install it pretty cleanly but am now having issues with my new Savvy cable setup being about 1-2" too long! Tried all of the nut adjustments but the cable is still too long.

I'm thinking I bolted the stock transfer case handle too far forward in the cab. What are your thoughts everyone? Does anyone have any photos of where the transfer case handle bracket should be?

View attachment 137472

View attachment 137473

View attachment 137474

View attachment 137475
That notch you see in the shifter boot is where the corner of the T case plate is supposed to be!

Pics from below. Showing the cable shifter ends and how its adjusted. From that pic it would seem to me that the top bracket is pretty damn near where it is supposed to be. It fits into the trans bracket nicely.
Showing underneath will help spot adjustment problems. Thanks!

Thanks all for the feedback! It turns out that the PO had installed an aluminum patch over the factory screw-in locations for the transfer case handle bracket. The patch was disguised under the rhino liner that covers the inside of the tab.

After I discovered the patch, I quickly removed and was able to find the factory locations and quickly install the transfer case handle and the savvy cable worked out perfectly!

Good news story for a Friday

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat