Scam attempts on my Craigslist posting (funny a-holes)

TJ Hunnicutt

Lord of Flatulence
Supporting Member
This should be a fun little exercise. I've already gotten a few scam messages to my Craigslist posting to sell my 2001 TJ that made me laugh. For educational and instructional purposes, I think I'll post them here. The story is real but the names have been changed to protect the innocent (like there are any). Enjoy!

—————————-
1) Received 22 minutes after CL post was made, and 28 minutes after the messaging hours I put in the listing:
"hi, interested in the 2001 jeep wrangler listed on cl. Sold yet or still got it?"

Typical phishing lure.🐟 No, sorry, just sold it in the last 22 minutes!:unsure:

—————————-
2) About 13 hours after post, via the CL email proxy:
"I need it. Let me know, is it still available?
Any damages and are you the first owner. I don't check [craigslist] reply mail. If it is still available then send me ——:>[email protected]
"

Well, if "YOU don't check [craigslist] reply mail", YOU obviously don't want "it". Yeah, dude, I'm the first owner of a 2001 Wrangler...prolly gonna happen. And the plural "damages".

—————————-
3) About 14 hours after post, via the CL email proxy:
From "craigslist-payment-support";)
"Dear user Craigslist,
Your credit card is not approved!
Continue to Checkout at [...]123formbuilder.com/[...]/craigslist-payment-support
"

Funny, it took it last night just fine.🤨 "Dear user Craigslist"...really? "is not" instead of "was not". "123formbuilder"...well, that sure looks like a legit CL URL, and sent through the proxy; wow, better click on that right now!(n)

Yup, I was going to post up something a couple weeks ago and says it's $5 to post in the cars and trucks category now

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

That's how you end up with this Jeep for sale in the "auto parts" section:
2019-05-23_13h37_53.jpg

I had my motorcycle on there and the ad said "original owner, owned since 2009, 30k miles", the first email I got asked "approximately how many years have you owned it, are you the original owner?"

:rolleyes:

I think anywhere you're gonna find trolls. I actually found the trade for my jeep through Facebook. I think it's smart to throw as wide a net as you can when selling

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

I never understood why people get so bent out of shape if you ask if the item is still available. 22 minutes is about 15 minutes longer than it took me to sell a rear bumper a couple weeks ago. And I can't tell you how many times I've responded to an ad and the item was already sold & the poster can't figure out how to stop the ad. So he gets even more bent because of all the emails he's getting.

Reactions: pagrey
I never understood why people get so bent out of shape if you ask if the item is still available. 22 minutes is about 15 minutes longer than it took me to sell a rear bumper a couple weeks ago. And I can't tell you how many times I've responded to an ad and the item was already sold & the poster can't figure out how to stop the ad. So he gets even more bent because of all the emails he's getting.

Same here. I've sent plenty of contact messages within a half-hour of a posting going live, and the stuff has already been sold. Gotta move quick.

Reactions: Airjunky