Screaming Yellow Bonkers

So, replaced the Bosch plugs with APP985, gaps checked to .035. No change. Pulled the coil rail and checked the resistances between plug boots. 1&2 and 5&6 14 ohms. 3&4 9 ohms. Tested a new coil rail. All measurements are identical between old and new. The one that had been on there did not look like it had been there very long.

With the engine running, I pulled the connectors on the #1 cylinder. Noticeable drop in engine performance. Pulled #6 with same results. Pulled #3, no change. Pulled #4, no change. Do I need fuel injectors? Why no 200 type codes? Only getting P0300, 303, 304, 353.

Reactions: Alex0413
Checked the resistance on #3 and #4 injectors. Each within normal range.

I installed my new tires and “new to me” wheels yesterday in 25 degree weather. By the time I got to the second one, I was sweating bullets. Came out OK. I might paint them in the spring or maybe continue on the “survivor “ look.

170E4589-EFDF-4A04-80A4-E4417D36E750.jpeg

The lugnuts on this vehicle require a special socket which lives in the glovebox. When I went to get it yesterday morning, I noticed that the carpet was wet. My first thought was a leaking heater core. So, I bypassed the heater core for now as my plate is already full and changing out the core is a bit of a job. Today, I was inspecting the wetness a lot closer and it isn’t coolant. It is water. I peeled back the carpet and see this hole in the floor. Is there supposed to be a plug in this? Is this hole supposed to even be here?

N/M, I see where there are four plugs and ordered them. This is a huge load off my mind.

051EC535-4B89-4654-830A-89C957FDDA94.jpeg

Last edited:
Good job on the troubleshooting! Seems like you've narrowed it down to cylinders 3 & 4. The next step for me would be to pull those fuel injectors and test and clean them. One or more could be dirty/clogged and causing your issues. If you find any bad ones, I have some stock injectors on my work bench you can have, I can't use them because i'm boosted.

These work great for testing and cleaning injectors:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126MEK3C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So, got a few things accomplished today. Replaced the rear window struts with new ones. No more headaches (from that anyway).

Also, removed the very old and heat damaged carpet, seat belts and backseat hardware from the rear area. Once that is all cleaned up, I will repaint and look at my options.

Found the my thermostat was not stuck open...it was simply not there. Installed a new housing, gasket and thermostat. Now, the engine heats up properly and I have a little bit of heat but not much.

Put a screwdriver on to the fuel Injectors to listen for the clicking sounds. All but 3&4 are strong sounding. 3&4 are clicking but not at the same intensity.

Took it for a drive. The new tires feel a lot different than the street tires. I had aired them down to 26 psi. When I got out to the chip seal road and up to speed, they felt a bit squirrelly. I even stopped to check the lug nuts thinking I hadn’t tightened one of the wheels. All good though.

When I got back to our property, I shifted into 4 wd high and headed out into the pasture. No issues there, shifted into 4 wd low and climbed one of the steeper sections of pasture and it walked right up.

Sure will be nice when I get all six cylinders firing properly.

Ordered all new O2 sensors and a fuel injector tester. We leave for N Virginia on Wednesday.

So, got a few things accomplished today. Replaced the rear window struts with new ones. No more headaches (from that anyway).

Also, removed the very old and heat damaged carpet, seat belts and backseat hardware from the rear area. Once that is all cleaned up, I will repaint and look at my options.

Found the my thermostat was not stuck open...it was simply not there. Installed a new housing, gasket and thermostat. Now, the engine heats up properly and I have a little bit of heat but not much.

Put a screwdriver on to the fuel Injectors to listen for the clicking sounds. All but 3&4 are strong sounding. 3&4 are clicking but not at the same intensity.

Took it for a drive. The new tires feel a lot different than the street tires. I had aired them down to 26 psi. When I got out to the chip seal road and up to speed, they felt a bit squirrelly. I even stopped to check the lug nuts thinking I hadn’t tightened one of the wheels. All good though.

When I got back to our property, I shifted into 4 wd high and headed out into the pasture. No issues there, shifted into 4 wd low and climbed one of the steeper sections of pasture and it walked right up.

Sure will be nice when I get all six cylinders firing properly.

Ordered all new O2 sensors and a fuel injector tester. We leave for N Virginia on Wednesday.

Awesome! You're quickly working out those minor kinks, and will be able to focus on the build next :cool: .

Thanks. It was fun driving it today even if only for a short one.

Nice country you live in. Always like Idaho, especially in the Sawtooth area.

Thanks. It was fun driving it today even if only for a short one.

Nice country you live in. Always like Idaho, especially in the Sawtooth area.
Likewise, there's some beautiful country in Eastern Tennessee. I have a daughter going to college near Chattanooga.

Reactions: Mrprez
The damage in the rear bumper location appears to be from either this jeep trying to pull out another stuck vehicle or this jeep being stuck and getting pulled out. maybe someone didn't have much knowledge on where to hook up the tow chain/rope etc. ripped the bumper off? I hope you get all the little bugs worked out. Working on a non DD jeep is a hobby, that's why most of us on here have them. Anyway, good buy on a nice jeep!

The damage in the rear bumper location appears to be from either this jeep trying to pull out another stuck vehicle or this jeep being stuck and getting pulled out. maybe someone didn't have much knowledge on where to hook up the tow chain/rope etc. ripped the bumper off? I hope you get all the little bugs worked out. Working on a non DD jeep is a hobby, that's why most of us on here have them. Anyway, good buy on a nice jeep!

I figured it was something like that. I’ve got some ideas to try and see what I can do to get something back there.

Got outside this afternoon for a bit. I received one of my o2 sensors, so got out the penetrating spray and soaked them well. The others will be here tomorrow. Not looking forward to this.

While in that area, I noticed that the bolts attaching one of the catalytic converters to the exhaust manifold are loose. Sprayed that with penetrating fluid as well. I hope I can get in there with a wrench to tighten them up. Tried with a swivel extension but didn’t have too much luck. I wiggled the pipe and it seems it is in there enough not to create an exhaust leak.

I took off the flares that came with the Jeep. My replacement flairs will be here on Friday. Everything came off with the exception of one bolt. Took a hacksaw to it and it came right off. If anyone is interested in having these flairs, let me know.

With much gnashing of teeth, numerous words of color that would make a sailor blush and several broken tools, I finally managed to get my rear bumper mounted.

I had bought an OEM style Omix rear bumper which they had for $55 on Amazon And a pair of frame to bumper corner braces for $45. It all showed up right before the really cold weather hit here. It was still cold today, but I got out there and went to town on this job.

I had already painted the brackets a few days ago and just needed to bolt them in. I bought some grade 8 nuts and bolts for the upper and lower bolts. Today was just getting it all lined up and tightened down. The holes in the brackets weren't exactly right so I had to fix that. And parts of the rear frame crossmember from where it broke had to be cut away. But, in the end, it all lined up and I am pleased with the results.

I also removed the front bumper as I have a used front OEM bumper that I bought off ebay.

E1C00653-4F69-4141-8F79-08B7859E0BC9.jpeg

F51DF7FC-6767-4A18-B48F-FF50DC6CF34E.jpeg

CF6E93FD-5CBB-49EC-9DFE-A0EB33BC3EDA.jpeg

49F45870-BA78-42F1-B40C-E0E4DA663716.jpeg

384B522C-2EE4-4E9C-B1C1-9850772CB1A9.jpeg

FD7923BE-B7BB-4E42-9199-D32927D5E709.jpeg

I was able to spend quite a but of time on SYB today. Started wire wheeling the dirt and any loose rust.

Pulled off the emergency brake bracket and cleaned that up. Prime the bracket and the floor underneath.

Changed out the inner boot seal as the old one was split. In the process of that, I buggered up the shift knob. Ordered a new one. Looks like someone glued the cap on to the body.

Installed my new to me factory front bumper. It still has the milk jugs on it. Haven't decided on whether to keep those or put the flat inserts like did on the back bumper.

We ordered new seat covers from Iggy.com so I will take the seats apart and work on the seat rails. Also the passenger seat isn't working quite right.

Test fit my new to me oem flairs. They will need some work but generally, they are in good shape.

Do I have have a lift kit? See the last photo.

81096DF4-D934-4A28-9171-042CC6D0A084.jpeg

B54671FE-4C10-4933-B729-65AF9BCD94DB.jpeg

29B14E5C-9828-41E4-97AF-C874669F8C4C.jpeg

093DC6C3-21BF-47D2-A02D-E2F2A861CCE4.jpeg