Securing your rear seat in the folded up position

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I finally figured out what those little rearward facing tabs were for on the sport bar. 10" bungers work perfect or as in my case, I used rubber rope. The last pic shows how you would store the bungees before you turn it back into a functioning rear seat. If you don't secure it upright, as soon as you take off, it can flop down with force and damage something.

IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG

I finally figured out what those little rearward facing tabs were for on the sport bar. 10" bungers work perfect or as in my case, I used rubber rope. The last pic shows how you would store the bungees before you turn it back into a functioning rear seat. If you don't secure it upright, as soon as you take off, it can flop down with force and damage something.
Those rearward facing tabs are actually there for the soft top support hoops to attach to. The rear seat was designed to be held up by a factory supplied strap which loops around the lower part of the driver's side rollbar and slips over the upward pointing 'hook' you can see sticking up on the left side of your last photo.

The hook the support strap slips over is circled in red. :)

seat.JPG

Last edited:
The rear seat was designed to be held up by a factory supplied strap which loops around the lower part of the driver's side rollbar and slips over the upward pointing 'hook' you can see sticking up on the left side of your last photo.

I never knew that. Is the strap something that’s always there or is it removable and could have been lost by the previous owner?

I’ve never noticed any strap on my ‘06 LJ, but I also have never looked for it.

Reactions: Plumber1
Ive got Neoprene seat covers on my front and rear seat... Renders the rear seat folding up; impossible.
I have Neoprene seat covers as well. I'm curious as to how they prevent the back seat from folding up?? One side of my seat seems to be locked (or rusted) down securely.

I have neoprene seat covers (front and back) on my 2000 and I fold up my rear seat with no problems. I use a small piece of rope and tie it to the roll bar. I've also been considering taking it out completely, and just putting it in when I expect to have passengers on a ride.

View attachment 7671 View attachment 7672 View attachment 7673
Great idea. I copied your idea and put it in my Jeep this evening.

Those rearward facing tabs are actually there for the soft top support hoops to attach to. The rear seat was designed to be held up by a factory supplied strap which loops around the lower part of the driver's side rollbar and slips over the upward pointing 'hook' you can see sticking up on the left side of your last photo.

View attachment 7674
all of those straps apparently are on a DXpedition with a bunch of singular socks. I have always known they exist but I have never seen one IRL. lol There is also a strap for the windshield frame that goes thru the footman loop. (extra credit if you know what the footman loop is!). I have never seen an OEM of one of those either.

Is that something my wife lost? What years did that strap come with?

Haha

I think the change in rear seat design was 2003. That's what I have, an '03 Sport, and it has a different mechanism for rolling it forward. Does not have that part sticking up for the strap to attach to either. I haven't had it folded up very often but it wasn't bouncing around as far as I could tell.

View attachment 7674
Hello, I am looking for the part that is rubber or plastic on the bottom of the bolts/screws that the bungee cords are attached to. The rubber/plastic material on mine have deteriorated and all that is left is are the bolt/screws. Thank you