Security Cameras

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
While we do have a monitored security system I would like to install cameras also. The choices are overwhelming and I’m having trouble trying to figure out what I need.
I have a 2 story house on a corner lot. What is the best way to orient the cameras? How many do I need? Hard wired or battery? What brand? Should I have cameras inside the house as well? Will a system notify me if there is activity and not overwhelm me with BS notifications? We travel extensively so I need enough storage to cover at least 3 weeks and have remote access. I do not want to go cheap but I do not want to break the bank either. Where I used to work we had an extensive camera system, internal and external, that only activated when there was motion and this really helped remove the clutter and sped up things when I had to review footage later.
Any input is appreciated.

My input...

Get a hardwired system. I have a Blink system that uses battery and wifi. Even with lithium batteries I still replace them 1-2 times a year and it can be a week or two before I can finally change them with my schedule so who knows what I miss. In the cold, they operate slowly and I get quite a bit of lag. Get as many as you need to cover areas where you think are susceptible. Driveway, front door, side access, back door, etc...I'd also go for a system with motion lights for added security.

The system I have sends a notification any time it detects a motion. Sometimes it can be annoying because if a tree branch moves in the wind, it'll trigger a notification. If I am in the yard, it'll trigger a notification. I can set the view grid so it only picks up certain areas within the cameras field of view, but it can be finicky. Just yesterday I had 100+ notifications since I was out in the yard all day. I could turn it off I suppose but then I need to remember to turn it back on.

Reactions: bucky
x2 for a hard wired system

Frankly if you want a simplified system with everything you need, look no further then Costco. Ive ran a 720p 16 camera system (only insalled 8) for 8-9 years without failure. It records 24/7/365

I just upgraded to a new Lorex 8 camera system with a 2TB drive and got it on sale for under $700. Its also all wired

Avoid “wireless” , trust me. I recommend LAYERED security.

Perimeter lighting
Motion sensor lighting
Home DVR surveillance (2 systems is better)
Home Security
Canine security
Firearm security
Residential Security Container (Gun safe)

Last edited:
Check out ipcamtalk.com for some good advice. They have a lot of professional guys posting there. They also have a tool somewhere in the forums that pulls up a google earth diagram of your house and let's you experiment with camera placement.

I'm running Dahua POE turret cameras with a software called BlueIris installed on a PC. Blue Iris uses machine learning (via codeproject.ai) that does object detection (car, dog, cat, person, bicycle, etc) so it avoids a bunch of false positives. It can even to license place detection.

It has a pretty steep learning curve but i'm an IT guy so enjoy doing projects like that.

Thanks for the replies. I did a quick search on POE. Does this require me to run wire from all the cameras to a central location? This seems like a lot of cable vs having to run power cables from multiple transformers to power individual or pairs of cameras in one side of the house. I’ve set a budget of $1500 does this seem reasonable? I have good electrical skills so running extra power around the perimeter of the house in the eaves is not much of an issue for me. I would like a system that has the resolution to see license plates clearly.

x2 for a hard wired system

Frankly if you want a simplified system with everything you need, look no further then Costco. Ive ran a 720p 16 camera system (only insalled 8) for 8-9 years without failure. It records 24/7/365

I just upgraded to a new Lorex 8 camera system with a 2TB drive and got it on sale for under $700. Its also all wired

Avoid “wireless” , trust me. I recommend LAYERED security.

Perimeter lighting
Motion sensor lighting
Home DVR surveillance (2 systems is better)
Home Security
Canine security
Firearm security
Residential Security Container (Gun safe)

I have all the above except the dog which is a No and the cameras. I also have little friends hidden within easy reach around the house when needed. I do display a large American flag in front of the house witch I believe helps. We’ve been in this house for 40 yrs with no issues but these days with the lax enforcement here in California its only a matter of time.