Seeking advice on potential TJ purchase

Bradb0816

Well everyone, after saving up for a little bit its finally time to seriously start looking to buy.

Found this listing yesterday. Let me know what you think. 2002 Jeep Wrangler

I pulled the Vin and noticed a few things that might help with negotiations.
  1. Its got the 35 in the rear
  2. 3 speed auto
  3. Originally came with half doors (a upgrade, but not factory. ;)
  4. The vin says "black clear coat" do all spec sheets say this or could this have been repainted
  5. Came with original hard and soft top. Do not know if he still has the soft top.
I also see that it needs new tires, the logos have been removed, appears to be a crappy front bumper.

It is the Apex Edition, but i have read that is basically a X with upgraded seats?

If you notice anything that I haven't, let me know.

If all is sound mechanically and no rust I was thinking of offering 8k and going from there.

Whats everyone think?
Sending someone to look at it tomorrow so help me out for things to leverage in my direction before then please.
It is also good to note that it has been on the market for 17 days and down here in AR that isnt common.

Without seeing the frame and underside, no one can give you good advice.

If the frame is rotted out, it's not worth a dime in my opinion (other than the cost of what you could sell the parts for).

It's certainly not worth $9500 by any means. Those horrible fender flares, hideous grille, and other things are devaluing it IMHO :ROFLMAO:

If it's been repainted, you'd have to make sure it's a good paint job and not a Maco special, otherwise that paint will just start peeling right off, literally.

An Apex Edition is nothing special at all. Upgraded seats and I believe a Dana 44 rear.

I'd say in the condition that thing is in (depending on the frame) 7k is more realistic. To me it doesn't look like someone took very good care of it.

Reactions: Bradb0816
Boy, it has every indication a teenager drives it. That would be a red flag to me. Without any pictures of the underside I would be hesitant, but I am in NY, so rust and rot are common, and omitting pictures of the frame normally means there is little frame left to show.
I see a fair bit of money needed just to undo all the crappy "mods" that have been done.