Selling a Jeep, whats it worth?

Easton j

Selling a jeep for a friend of mine. Right now I'm adding all new steering components (1 ton). It's got a 4.5 lift fixed control arms. Xrc winch, SYE custom roll cage that is super nice. Little over 100k miles. I've got an idea of what it's worth just wanting some opinions. Also it does have a rebuilt title from where it was rolled in the woods but I can't tell it.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

Not another one of these...

It's not worth anything close to what is/was put into it.

TJ buyers are builders.

That's all been taken away from someone.

It's like this...
Would someone buy a TJ already built? Sure...if cheap enough. (That's the problem)

Would someone buy a JK or JL already built...even for a lot more money? Yes.

That's the problem.

JK/JL buyers are just that...buyers. There are many more buyers of an already built rig. You see them everyday. Women and men rolling around in a JK modified already and purchased that way.

The TJ you're trying to sell has two things against it.
It's built...which the owner will think is worth entirely way too much...and it's an "R" title.

No matter how perfectly reconstructed a lot of people out there just hang on that "R" title and think that's such a value killer or not interested at all

Not another one of these...

It's not worth anything close to what is/was put into it.

TJ buyers are builders.

That's all been taken away from someone.

It's like this...
Would someone buy a TJ already built? Sure...if cheap enough. (That's the problem)

Would someone buy a JK or JL already built...even for a lot more money? Yes.

That's the problem.

JK/JL buyers are just that...buyers. There are many more buyers of an already built rig. You see them everyday. Women and men rolling around in a JK modified already and purchased that way.

The TJ you're trying to sell has two things against it.
It's built...which the owner will think is worth entirely way too much...and it's an "R" title.

No matter how perfectly reconstructed a lot of people out there just hang on that "R" title and think that's such a value killer or not interested at all
Well the good thing about this jeep is I didn't build it and have no ties to it really. I just wanted a general idea of what a partially built rubicon would go for. I've only ever dealt in non rubi tjs

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Well the good thing about this jeep is I didn't build it and have no ties to it really. I just wanted a general idea of what a partially built rubicon would go for. I've only ever dealt in non rubi tjs
Well, just give us a lot more info and frame pics.

It would just be a shot in the dark for me, not knowing the market in Alabama. Maybe $14-15k?

EDIT: Forgot it was salvage, 1/2 of that $7-7.5k

Last edited:
Most people don't know the differences between any of the Wranglers. "Is it a 2 door or 4 door Jeep?" Market it as a custom build with nothing else like it on or off the road. Start high, like $25k or more. If no bites, pull ad and start over with a new ad and pictures. With this past year in the rear view mirror, a lot of people are looking for creative ways to spend money.

Reactions: DeadStang
Actual Rubicon, or not, that's not a bad looking Jeep.

3 yrs ago I paid about $16,500 for my 60,000 mile Rubicon that was all stock except for the wheels. I don't think I would have paid anywhere near that if it had been modified, it's usually kinda hard to tell if something was done right and how much, or if, it was beaten and abused off road after the modifications.

Little over 100k miles should be far from the end of it's useful life but it's more than mine had and the R title isn't going to help either. My hate for the existence of R titles in general, not any particular vehicle, is another topic.

With all that typed out, I'd do a lower but still high version of what Doug-AK suggested. Maybe start around the $16.500 that mine cost and be ready to drop. You never know when a rich JK/JL buyer will need a toy for their kid. Of course it would have to be an automatic to pull that off.

We've given you a few opinions about price and there may be more on their way, so since you have no real ties to it, what was your idea of what it's worth and have we caused that to change?

Reactions: Rubicon88
Actual Rubicon, or not, that's not a bad looking Jeep.

3 yrs ago I paid about $16,500 for my 60,000 mile Rubicon that was all stock except for the wheels. I don't think I would have paid anywhere near that if it had been modified, it's usually kinda hard to tell if something was done right and how much, or if, it was beaten and abused off road after the modifications.

Little over 100k miles should be far from the end of it's useful life but it's more than mine had and the R title isn't going to help either. My hate for the existence of R titles in general, not any particular vehicle, is another topic.

With all that typed out, I'd do a lower but still high version of what Doug-AK suggested. Maybe start around the $16.500 that mine cost and be ready to drop. You never know when a rich JK/JL buyer will need a toy for their kid. Of course it would have to be an automatic to pull that off.

We've given you a few opinions about price and there may be more on their way, so since you have no real ties to it, what was your idea of what it's worth and have we caused that to change?
I was hoping to get at least 13,500 I've looked the jeep over and can't tell where it was fixed. I honestly probably wouldn't pay that for it thats why I'm not buying it for myself but maybe someone will.

The biggest thing that is going to matter is the title, I’d bet it’s in the 7.5-9.5k range but will take a while to get that. The build doesn’t sound like it’s anything all that special, so it likely takes away more value than it would add. There’s a lot of info missing on this, but from the photos and quick description it had a dropped TC, interesting bumper, and who knows about the underbody condition.

Prices have absolutely exploded out west. That would list for 15-20k easy here. Not sure about 'bama tho. And not sure what they actually end up going for.

No you don't get all your money back for mods but you do get something.

I was hoping to get at least 13,500 I've looked the jeep over and can't tell where it was fixed. I honestly probably wouldn't pay that for it thats why I'm not buying it for myself but maybe someone will.
I hope you can get a million dollars for it....

But...

Aside from R title it's really vague your description.

• Haha
Prices have absolutely exploded out west. That would list for 15-20k easy here. Not sure about 'bama tho. And not sure what they actually end up going for.

No you don't get all your money back for mods but you do get something.
That's stuffing a pipe dream...
"i dont know about there but out west OMFG these things are bringing silly money."
This is 2021...there is no more "out west"
The buying audience is the entire country and just a click and shipping company call away from ownership.

It's been molested, has been reconstructed... moreover nobody seems to even know if it's a real rubicon...or just a lifted Jeep Sport with hood stickers saying Rubicon.

Regardless it's not a 15-20k Jeep "out west"