Setting bumpstops and figuring other suspension parts

bluejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I drive a 2006 LJ Rubicon - the previous owner kludged together a suspension system that has to be replaced. Based on what I've read on this forum it seems to have resulted in a 3" lift. There is also a 1" body lift installed. When I got the unit, I installed Nth Degree rear spring relocators (see pic) to fix the dragging butt look, and installed Nth Degree rear stinger/slider, removing the upper control arms, but have not done anything else to the suspension.

Since I won't be reusing the shocks or springs or bumpstops or spring spacers, here's my plan on how to get a suspension that will perform much better with all components designed to work with each other.

First, a bit about the vehicle weight issues and my use. 2006 LJ Rubicon, 35 x 12.5 tires (going to a tire of approx. the same diameter but only 11" wide), extra wide flares ( see pic), Procomp bumper front and rear, hydraulic winch with synthetic rope up front, spare tire stored inside, 5 gal nato gas can on tailgate along with a medium size ammo can with basic recovery gear. Rear seat removed. For trail riding I pack 2 front runner wolf pack boxes (tools and more recovery gear including a heavy hand winch that I have no idea why I bring - never been used), and perhaps another 75 lbs of gear all situated inside with the heaviest things furthest forward. I tow a small Tentrax trailer to the trail so that's another 100 lbs on the hitch. I would like to sit level when loaded up and trailer connected, and realize that may mean I may ride a bit high in the rear when not loaded.

I don't go where only the buggies tread, but will sign up for things such as Pritchett Canyon. Besides southern TX, I enjoy Moab, Colorado, South Dakota Black Hills, Rubicon trail. I guess it's mountain trails and accompanying rocks. Not into stuff like the Hammers (altho I'm sure I would have a blast!). I am looking to have a nice ride on pavement, and good performance offroad without sacrificing everything about the on road ride. I think a dual rate or progressive spring is going to get me the closest to what I want (softer rate for when unloaded but maybe ride high in the back, get into the higher rate when loaded and with trailer, but leveled off with the front height)

I've read the 'how to ' guide here on how to size bumpstops, but still have a few questions about sizing other components. Here's my plan for determining suspension components. let me know if I'm doing something incorrect...…

Front first - jackstands under the frame, remove tires and various steering parts to get springs out, remove bumpstops, 2" spring spacer, and shocks. Lift axle until bumpstop cup touches spring pad on axle, measure between shock mount points, subtract 1/4" and mark that as minimum compressed length for shock. Set tire on, check for interferences (I'm expecting there will be), lower axle until no tire interferences (including at full lock), measure for proper bumpstop length, add that length to minimum compressed shock length as well. I guess desired ride height determines spring length (unloaded minus compression figured with rate and estimated load). I actually tend to prefer a lower center of gravity so may sacrifice some uptravel with that

Now, how do I determine the max length of the shock? With the swaybar links off, what will I use to limit the droop? Or do I pick the longest shock I can find and let them serve as droop limiters?

Next, the rear axle. Same concept as the front to find the initial minimum compressed shock length then tire interference and 'new' compressed shock length and bumpstop length. I imagine droop will be limited by swaybar and length of links? So let the axle hang down and measure between shock mounting surfaces plus 1/2" for max shock length? Again, ride height calculated to match front with gear loaded plus trailer on. Also I will see about the need for longer control arms to center the wheel in the arch (Is this an issue with both front and rear, or just rear)

Does this sound like it might give me something to aim for?

Thanks in advance

rear with relocator.jpg

wide flares.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on your CoG and definitely do not sacrifice up travel to achieve some idea of keeping it low. You will lose stability if you do.

If you are going to concern yourself with weight, then keep the extra clutter like gas cans, off the Jeep. You won't need extra fuel. Trust me on that. Keep things like bumpers light weight.

You want the shock that will give you the most overall travel that is split in half at your normal ride height.

I think there is no point in measuring before you install the shock. The answer is always going to be the stock or 0-2" lift shock is what fits without any additional bump and that isn't going to work with 35" tires. The formula for running 35" tires isn't something new, pick a lift height and go from there. Generally you measure and install bumps to protect the shock after it is installed and you picked the shock based on the lift height.

With the additional unsprung weight of 35s you will want no less than 5” of up travel, depending on shock choice. Anything less and you will be hitting your bumps just pulling into parking lots. I had 4” uptravel at one point and hit my bumps regularly with my sway bar attached. Now I have 6” and it doesn’t come close to hitting. Those numbers work for me on the front. with a stock sway bar and light rig.

Lift axle until bumpstop cup touches spring pad on axle, measure between shock mount points, subtract 1/4" and mark that as minimum compressed length for shock.
Instead of measuring the gap with the shocks out, leave the current shocks in. That way you can see how much shaft is left when you're at full bump, or how much gap there is when you hit full compression on the shock. Use that measurement along with the actual compressed length of the shocks to figure out what the ideal compressed length would be.

You want the shock that will give you the most overall travel that is split in half at your normal ride height.
+1

Once you have an idea of what how much space you have for the shocks at full compression, pick shocks that will give you the most travel with the right up/down split and a compressed length that is close to the ideal. You might end up picking shocks that are a little longer than the ideal compressed length if they give you more travel — you just need to add a little bump stop to protect them.

When you do install new shocks, double-check that the bump stops actually protect them at full bump!

@jjvw, @Gollywomper, @fuse the OP has not selected a spring for his Jeep, what do you suggest for running 35" tires? This discussion about uptravel and shocks isn't very helpful without a spring is it? @Gollywomper I'm sure your advice about 5" of up is great, what does that mean, which spring?
Guess I skipped that. I assumed we would be talking about a 4” spring to accommodate 35s. There are other ways to get there but 4” is the most common.
I currently run Currie springs and would recommend them.

Reactions: pagrey
I certainly don't know the answer, was just having a bit of trouble putting myself in the OPs shoes and trying to figure out what all this meant and what I should do with my tape measure.

The general consensus I see with 35's is 4" springs/1.25" BL. Anything less and you sacrifice up travel unless you plan to hi-line.

@jjvw, @Gollywomper, @fuse the OP has not selected a spring for his Jeep, what do you suggest for running 35" tires? This discussion about uptravel and shocks isn't very helpful without a spring is it? @Gollywomper I'm sure your advice about 5" of up is great, what does that mean, which spring?
It sounds like a little bit of a cop out, but the right spring is going to be one that can support the load at the right ride height, especially in this case where the Jeep is carrying more weight. Sounds like @bluejeep has some idea of what that load is.

If you know the free length and spring rate of the currently installed springs, you can measure the current loaded spring length and use that to predict the loaded length of new springs.

I don't know what the right ride height is for 35s. Other people on here have more experience with that.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Instead of measuring the gap with the shocks out, leave the current shocks in. That way you can see how much shaft is left when you're at full bump, or how much gap there is when you hit full compression on the shock. Use that measurement along with the actual compressed length of the shocks to figure out what the ideal compressed length would be.

+1

Once you have an idea of what how much space you have for the shocks at full compression, pick shocks that will give you the most travel with the right up/down split and a compressed length that is close to the ideal. You might end up picking shocks that are a little longer than the ideal compressed length if they give you more travel — you just need to add a little bump stop to protect them.

When you do install new shocks, double-check that the bump stops actually protect them at full bump!
What is used to limit the droop, both front and rear?

Usually shocks. Shock extended length set at a length to just keep the spring seated.
Also, the stock control arms provide a lot of resistance once you get beyond a certain amount of droop. That can make getting longer springs in and out a lot of fun.

Currie 4" gets you the most up travel and the most useable over all travel.