Shocks. The good the bad and the ugly.

Someone will get the joke...

The OME Nitrocharger Sports that come with your kit has been called a stiff shock. If true (as it seems to be), it's an odd choice for Metalcloak to include with their kits.

Also, while better than an E, load range D is still considered too stiff for a TJ. Try lowering the pressure a bit more.

Someone will get the joke...

The OME Nitrocharger Sports that come with your kit has been called a stiff shock. If true (as it seems to be), it's an odd choice for Metalcloak to include with their kits.

Also, while better than an E, load range D is still considered too stiff for a TJ. Try lowering the pressure a bit more.
How low would you recommend before the tire starts wearing poorly? Looks like the Rancho 5000x is the recommended shock

Oh ok, thought you were hinting towards the tires. I'm not sure what the bushings on the shocks are. Load range D
Are you sure. My STT pros are C.
15358634349462358142648823671951.jpg

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
I have OME shocks that came with the 3.5" lift from metal cloak. The jeep rides pretty rough. Would it be worth it to upgrade? Current shocks have maybe 2k miles on them. Sounds like the Rancho if I did, but hate getting rid of almoat brand new shocks

Did you change anything else with the lift?

What were the specs on the Jeep prior to the lift?

Reactions: jjvw
I have OME shocks that came with the 3.5" lift from metal cloak. The jeep rides pretty rough. Would it be worth it to upgrade? Current shocks have maybe 2k miles on them. Sounds like the Rancho if I did, but hate getting rid of almost brand new shocks
OME's current Sport Nitrochargers have been described as very stiff now, which is a shame because their previous Nitrochargers which I ran had a great ride. If those Sport Nitrochargers are too stiff for your liking, odds are very good you'd like the Rancho RS5000x shocks. That's what I replaced my worn out/blown OME Nitrochargers (pre-Sport) with and I couldn't tell the difference in ride... superb ride on the highway with great offroad control.

Still let some air out. I would expect 35s to be in the low/mid 20s.
Correct, an appropriate air pressure for 35x12.50R15 Load Range C tires would be 24 psi when the Jeep is lightly loaded or 26 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded with passengers and/or gear.

I've run Fox 2.0 shocks, OME Nitrochargers (that was on my XJ though), Bilstein 5100s, and Rancho RS5000X shocks. I liked the Bilsteins, but I will admit that the Ranchos are better. That's the route I would go!

Another nice thing about the Ranchos is how damn cheap you can get a set for.

Case in point:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963N4ZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Thanks for the shock info, I am going to order a set from your link. What lift are you using with the Rancho shocks? I want a 2” lift

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks for the shock info, I am going to order a set from your link. What lift are you using with the Rancho shocks? I want a 2” lift

I'm using a lift I pieced together myself. 4" Fabtech springs, Savvy control arms, JKS track bars, and Rancho shocks.

I really think shocks and what you perceive as smooth/stiff are a very personal thing and also very relative to what you had before in your TJ. FWIW, I don't like a overly cushy ride.

I really need to start a build thread, but here is my experience. I was running Fabtech's adjustable shocks that the PO put on my Jeep (as part of the 2.5" lift). While there was no issue with them functionally, I very much disliked how they felt in my TJ. Going over train tracks or even small potholes, I felt a lot of jostling. I was planning a few upgrades that @David Kishpaugh was going to help with, and I decided to consult him for opinions on shocks. When I met him, I requested him to drive my Jeep so that he could know that I was talking about regarding the shocks. We discussed about the how and where I planned to use my TJ. My goal is to have a vehicle that I can drive on the highway and then eventually to wherever I was camping/hiking (I have no plans for intentional recreational off-roading, at least in the near future). He recommended Bilstein 5100s and I took his recommendation as an expert although I had been reading a lot about the Ranchos here.

I picked up my Jeep after the upgrades (Bilstien 5100s front and rear, currectlync steering, savvy cable shifter for the tcase, savvy johnny joint control arms, new Adams rear driveshaft, new axle joints, new rear trackbar, new teraflex adjustable front trackbar) last week, and I've been driving it everywhere. Even went for a short day hike. I will say that I really love how the Bilstien 5100s feel in relation to what I had before , both on paved roads and Forest service roads. I finally have the truck like feel I was looking for. Is the new goodness from the shocks only or a combination of all the updates and Dave's magic in installing everything just right? More likely the combination+magic, perhaps.

Would rancho rs5000x be better in current setup? Perhaps; it would certainly be different. But I'm so happy with the setup I have that I have now that I don't have any curiousity to even try. Unless I install Ranchos on this very setup, same tires and tire condition, it's going to be impossible for me to make an objective call on Ranchos. I may give them a shot in the future since they are getting such good recommendations from very experienced and respected longtimers but for now I am happy with what I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
FWIW, I don't like a overly cushy ride.
You and me, both. I would take the ride of my old Dodge truck over my Lincoln Town Car, for example. An old truck just feels right. Feedback through the steering wheel...road noise coming through the floorboards...it's wonderful. Makes me wonder what my TJ will feel like.

Reactions: psrivats
You and me, both. I would take the ride of my old Dodge truck over my Lincoln Town Car, for example. An old truck just feels right. Feedback through the steering wheel...road noise coming through the floorboards...it's wonderful. Makes me wonder what my TJ will feel like.

Old trucks are fantastic. I've only driven an older (and smaller) F150 before and I really liked how it felt. Partly why I love the Toyota FJ40. On the topic of older trucks, I have a very nice story (even if it derails the thread a bit).

There is an older guy in my neighborhood who drives a old, but pretty well maintained 80s Dodge 1500 diesel. Does all the maintenance himself. That thing must have at least 400,000 miles if not more. I've only said hi to him before when I am jogging or walking around. He saw that I got a Jeep and came to see it up close. He apparently used to own a CJ5 in the early 70s and sold it when he started a family. Told me that he still missed it and seeing my TJ made him reminisce his youth. I mentioned that I wished I were as mechanically inclined as him and that I could take as good care of my vehicles as he does for his Dodge. He said his son offered to buy him any new truck of his choice 3-4 years ago and he test drove them all, and decided he was better off with his Dodge than everything on the market. Told me he'd rather buy a Jeep like mine than a new truck, but that "they have even changed the Jeep from what it used to be". I offered him a ride in mine. Took the top down and went to a nearby coffee joint. He told me the next day that the top-down drive totally made his day. Made me happy too. We now talk whenever I see him out and about. I'll have to take some photos of this Dodge, you'll love it.

Old trucks are fantastic. I've only driven an older (and smaller) F150 before and I really liked how it felt. Partly why I love the Toyota FJ40. On the topic of older trucks, I have a very nice story (even if it derails the thread a bit).

There is an older guy in my neighborhood who drives a old, but pretty well maintained 80s Dodge 1500 diesel. Does all the maintenance himself. That thing must have at least 400,000 miles if not more. I've only said hi to him before when I am jogging or walking around. He saw that I got a Jeep and came to see it up close. He apparently used to own a CJ5 in the early 70s and sold it when he started a family. Told me that he still missed it and seeing my TJ made him reminisce his youth. I mentioned that I wished I were as mechanically inclined as him and that I could take as good care of my vehicles as he does for his Dodge. He said his son offered to buy him any new truck he wanted 3-4 years ago and he test drove them all, and decided he was better off with his Dodge than everything on the market. Told me he'd rather buy a Jeep like mine than a new truck, but that "they have even changed the Jeep from what it used to be". I offered him a ride in mine. Took the top down and went to a nearby coffee joint. He told me the next day that the top-down drive totally made his day. Made me happy too. We now talk whenever I see him out and about. I'll have to take some photos of this Dodge, you'll love it.
Derailment, be damned. That was a great story! Just as an FYI, if it's an early Dodge diesel (first generation), it would be an '89 through '93. I own a '90. Best damn vehicle I've ever owned!
So, do you think he'll end-up with a TJ after riding in yours? Sounds like you could be rather influential, there. ;)

Derailment, be damned. That was a great story! Just as an FYI, if it's an early Dodge diesel (first generation), it would be an '89 through '93. I own a '90. Best damn vehicle I've ever owned!
So, do you think he'll end-up with a TJ after riding in yours? Sounds like you could be rather influential, there. ;)

I'll ask him which year it is next time I see him. I know it's a diesel. He loves that thing for sure, you did see it after he does a wash and wax in his driveway. I feel he'll be strongly tempted about a TJ if I let him have mine for a week :biggrin:, but that truck of his ain't going nowhere!!

Reactions: Squatch
I'll ask him which year it is next time I see him. I know it's a diesel. He loves that thing for sure, you did see it after he does a wash and wax in his driveway. I feel he'll be strongly tempted about a TJ if I let him have mine for a week :biggrin:, but that truck of his ain't going nowhere!!
My Dodge has around 420,000 miles on it, but it absolutely looks the part. And like your new friend, there, it'll be with me forever (I've already owned it for almost 21 years). And to try and get this thread back on course, I will just say that it is definitely ready for some new shocks! :D

Busted bar pins are from improper bumpstop extension. standard shocks for a 3-4" lift can require from 3.25" to as much as 5.5" bumpstop extension depending on the collapsed length and the rear shock mount position. most all the lift kits only come with a 2" rear bumpstop extension. that only fits a collapsed length or 13.75" or less with stock shock mounts no matter what the lift height is. add shock shifters or relocation and the number grows drastically.

I prefer bilstein 5100 over the new rancho's and 9000 adjustables for customer rigs. the bilstiens are about the same as a rancho 9000 in the second to softest setting IMO. I also use 5125's 255/70 12 and 14" travel with outboard and relocated fronts. I run fox 14" travel smoothies tuned by full stack motorsports on my tj.

At least in my as well as mrblaine's personal opinions, Bilstein 5100 shocks are too stiff and jittery. Blaine said install that shock only if you want to know if the quarter you rolled over was heads or tails lol. Rancho's 9-way adjustable RS9000xl would be in your price range, so would OME Nitrochargers which I used to run. But I and many others here are now happily running Rancho's newish gas-charged RS5000x. You could get a set of them for just over $220 or so. I really like mine, more than I expected. They're definitely not too stiff or jittery. They have a great ride on the highway yet they give great control even when hauling ass on a rough dirt desert road.

I recently got a 2004 TJ, stock but with 31”s. I’m looking in to some new shocks. Right now it’s between Bilstein 4600 or Rancho RS5000(X maybe). I mostly do highway driving but off road a decent amount. I’ve read the thread and I’m leaning towards the Ranchos. I’m new to the community and have a lot to learn. Could use your expertise:)