Shocks. The good the bad and the ugly.

I recently got a 2004 TJ, stock but with 31”s. I’m looking in to some new shocks. Right now it’s between Bilstein 4600 or Rancho RS5000(X maybe). I mostly do highway driving but off road a decent amount. I’ve read the thread and I’m leaning towards the Ranchos. I’m new to the community and have a lot to learn. Could use your expertise:)
Don't even consider the older hydraulic RS5000, it's WAY too stiff riding for a TJ. Its valving is more for heavy trucks. If it were me I'd go for the newer gas charged RS5000x, I've seen 100% good reviews by those who installed them... me included, I was surprised how much I liked them both on the highway and offroad.

Bilsteins have a reputation among many Jeepers for being overly jittery and stiff. A well-known Jeep builder I know says to install Bilsteins if you want to know if the quarter just rolled over was heads or tails.

@Chris that the link above is for the 2"-3" lift and the OP is on a 4" lift and 33s. I just want to make sure that if he decides on the Ranchos that he gets the correct shocks. He needs the RS55255 and RS55256. The price went up since the time I ordered mine, but here is a link to them on Amazon and through Allen AOR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBLRGH8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.xf_vendor_spam_manageme...ocks-TJ-LJ/RS5000X-TJ-LJ-4-inch-Front-RS55255

https://www.xf_vendor_spam_manageme...TJ-LJ/RS5000X-Shock-TJ-LJ-4-inch-Rear-RS55256

I’m about to order the rancho shocks just want to make sure I get the right one. In a few weeks I’m ordering 4” Currie lift. I would assume get 4” rancho shocks? Can you confirm ? Or is 2-3”

I’m about to order the rancho shocks just want to make sure I get the right one. In a few weeks I’m ordering 4” Currie lift. I would assume get 4” rancho shocks? Can you confirm ? Or is 2-3”

I cannot confirm, as I went a different route with my shocks.

Thanks. Finding out what shock size to get is more confusing than I thought lol
It is and it isn't. You just need to know how they are sized to fit. Unfortunately, the Rancho recommendations are a bit long. And none of the recommendations ever take into consideration things like body lifts and bump stop extension.

Don't even consider the older hydraulic RS5000, it's WAY too stiff riding for a TJ. Its valving is more for heavy trucks. If it were me I'd go for the newer gas charged RS5000x, I've seen 100% good reviews by those who installed them... me included, I was surprised how much I liked them both on the highway and offroad.
I agree. I previously had the older hydraulic Rancho RS5000. I absolutely hated them.
I hated them so much, that even after reading about people liking the RS5000x and stating they are worlds different than the RS5000, I just had enough in the budget to buy 4 shocks once, so I couldn't trust the Rancho name enough to risk making another mistake with them.

I bought Fox 2.0 and absolutely love them. I've had another club member say it was the smoothest TJ he's ridden in.

I can't personally compare them to the (newer and often recommended) RS5000x, but I do not regret my purchase at all.
Having said that - I'd definitely NOT recommend the Rancho RS5000. That little 'x' at the end apparently makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
What up Jeep Peeps, I have an 02, Manual 4.0 Sport.... just bought it, has 180k miles. Should I replace the springs while I replace the shocks....I plan on buying the Rancho 5000x shocks. I don’t want a lift as I like the stock ride bull dog look. How big of tires can I go with stock height that will not add a harsh ride. I’m not a trail runner and this will be a daily driver that I would like to run smoothly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. While I’m at it, should I replace anything else that would update my suspension and have it run closer to newer Jeep ride?

31" is the largest tire that ever came on a stock TJ and I can make a case that is too large on stock suspension.

What is wrong with your existing springs? Measure them. Stock is 12" front, 8" rear.

Just swapped out the OME Nitro Sports which where way to stiff for light TJ. Replaced with Rancho RS5000X and suspension moves again. I also realized the adjustable front RE trac bar had a bad heim joint (completely frozen, wouldn't rotate) and that was probably the biggest culprit to suspension riding like a brick. Replaced with currie front bar. I will say the new OME sports are perfect for my sons TJ but it has heavy custom bumpers and side steps.

I've read through this entire thread and now it's almost 2020. Searching online for RS5000x shocks to fit a TJ with a 4.5" lift has been tiring. Besides calling Rancho directly does anyone have a direct part number(s) for a set of shocks that would fit from them? Is there anything new on the market I should be looking at instead?

Good question. I have a 4” suspension and 1-1/4 body lift. In talking with Rancho they tell me that the longest shock in that line is for 3-1/2” inch lift (I think) . Of course the body lift should not come into account when picking out a shock. (Right)?

That would be correct - body lift doesn't affect the shock length needed for your suspension. Well, unless it's also aesthetics you are concerned about since you'll likely be showing more of your fiddly parts off.

That's also about all I was able to come up with for the Ranco.

I know this is like an oil thread. Totally subjective. I have a broken upper mount pin or whatever it’s called. My thinking is the shocks are shot anyways. So, it may be time. I’m taking it to a shop tomorrow that is familiar with lifts to hopefully get a handle on what I have. I’m third owner and no clue what’s in it. It drives great, no death wobble or other noticeable issues. I don’t rock crawl, mostly bumpy and rocky desert trails with the steepest being about 45 degree climb with lots of bumps on the way up. I want a good shock but can’t afford 800 dollar shocks. Was looking at the Bilsteins, 5100’s I think work for the TJ. Is there a shock I should avoid or one that people find good? I was thinking between 3 and 400, or less of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my Bilstein 5100s with Rancho RS5000Xs because the Bilsteins were way too stiff. The Ranchos are just right. I have a 2004 TJ with 4" lift and 1" body lift.

Last edited:
A body lift can effect the bump stop requirements to keep the tires out of the body which can then effect which length shock might fit best for the given setup. This is why cycling the axles and measuring is the best method for determining the preferred shock lengths and any subsequent bump stop requirements.

A body lift can affect the bump stop requirements to keep the tires out of the body which can then affect which length shock might fit best for the given setup. This is why cycling the axles and measuring is the best method for determining the preferred shock lengths and any subsequent bump stop requirements.
Valid point! It is something I've already done with the current setup.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
For my '04 TJ with a 4.5" lift and silly bump stops I've decided the following Rancho shocks will work best for me (the X is implied or silent - your choice):

Front - RS55239
Rear - RS55256

It only took close to 2 full nights, lots of jacking, 3 different tape measures, 2 six-packs, and nap on the creeper to get this figured out. I am not excited about the color of the Ranchos. Has anyone successfully repainted and/or stripped then painted them without affecting heat dissipation performance?

Who wants to recommend a steering stabilizer or proper methods they've found at selecting one?

For my '04 TJ with a 4.5" lift and silly bump stops I've decided the following Rancho shocks will work best for me (the X is implied or silent - your choice):

Front - RS55239
Rear - RS55256

It only took close to 2 full nights, lots of jacking, 3 different tape measures, 2 six-packs, and nap on the creeper to get this figured out. I am not excited about the color of the Ranchos. Has anyone successfully repainted and/or stripped then painted them without affecting heat dissipation performance?

Who wants to recommend a steering stabilizer or proper methods they've found at selecting one?
Yeah, I roughed up, prepped and painted mine a metallic gray. It’s no problem. Won’t affect performance.

Any stabilizer will do. Some recommend the $25 Monroe, but it needs to be repainted, so I went with a $35 Rubicon Express. It’s just a 50:50 valved shock. Nothing special. Any one will do

Reactions: Moonshiner