Shortening Snorkel?

MikerDougie

I bought a Jeep with a snorkel. I'm not a big fan of the look but understand the purpose and don't want to totally remove it. Has anyone shortened the snorkel to make it closer to the hood?

If you’re not frequently doing water crossings, you don’t need one.

But got any pics of existing setup?

I've heard an argument that they pull in less dust and make your air filter last longer, but I've never experimented with it since the cost of a snorkel would pay for more air filters than I'll ever buy for my LJ. Plus I'm the one who plans all my group wheeling trips and the only one that knows where we're going so I'm always in front 🤣

Without a pic, we won't know for sure. But you may be able to convert it to a cowl intake. And figure some way to block the hole in the fender.

Here are a couple of pics. I may be limited due to the KC lights. I know it could be removed but I'm just wondering if there are other options.

snorkel.jpg

snorkel2.jpg

Looks alright, if it were mine I'd leave it. It does provide some benefit for keeping water out and grabbing less dusty air from up higher on dirt trails. Lowering it below the KC's will put it in range of catching mud and water, as is showing on your door. If you must have it gone maybe try trading the snorkel and fender for a stock fender and airbox.

Does dust not blow or rise more than 6'?

It absolutely does, which is why I'm doubtful of a snorkel's "benefits" in dusty environments. A prefilter could help in theory, but the vast majority of snorkels I see out there, aren't running them:

1699204007023.png

I bought a Jeep with a snorkel. I'm not a big fan of the look but understand the purpose and don't want to totally remove it. Has anyone shortened the snorkel to make it closer to the hood?

It doesn't look bad.
However, depending on the terrain you wheel in, I would be more concerned about it being ripped off by a tree.