1. It's time to vote for the November 2017 "Ride of the Month"! Click here to vote. Voting will end on October 31st.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a RC (Rough Country) lift?

Discussion in 'TJ Frequently Asked Questions' started by Chris, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Coastiehog

Coastiehog TJ Enthusiast

That is most likely the route I am sticking with because I have read a couple of reviews over the last few minutes and it sounds like the JKS springs may sag a bit more than they should after a bit of time.

Chris likes this.
  2. bobthetj03

bobthetj03 TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

Well, after 11 years and over 100k miles, my OME springs are finally sagging a bit. Both the front and back springs have dropped 0.5". I would say I got my monies worth out of them. Would I buy them again? Dang straight skippy! The JSPEC kit is intriguing, but with sparse reviews, it's tough to make an informed decision. I want to move up to a 3" spring, but sadly, OME doesn't make one, so that leaves me to use 1" coil spacers in addition. Not that this is an issue or anything, but was hoping to find a good quality 3" spring. Very tempted to try these along with some Rancho RS5000X shocks.

http://jksmfg.com/i-24048382-3-coil-spring-kit-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj.html?ref=category:1205531

Coastiehog and StG58 like this.
  3. StG58

StG58 Backwoods Amateur
    Supporting Member

I looked at JKS awhile back. It does seem to be a nice kit, and the company has a good reputation. Very, very few reviews though as others have said. If they gave me a full meal deal kit for half price or better yet, for free, I'd run it and splash reviews all over the place if it worked out. That's more coin than I want to take a chance with though.

FYI, on my build it came down to JKS or a custom suspension. I decided to go with a custom suspension.

Coastiehog, Chris and bobthetj03 like this.
  4. Coastiehog

Coastiehog TJ Enthusiast

100K miles before noticing sag is awesome!! Definitely got your money's worth!!

So, when I had my Hyundai Sonata I started doing things to it and since the car was just getting to be popular with the tuner car enthusiasts for the looks....because they aren't fast at all....I started looking into parts. I couldn't find reviews on a lot of things like lowering springs or intakes or exhaust. So, I emailed the companies to see if they would discount the product in exchange for a review. Well, I received my lowering springs at 75% off, intake for free and the Magnaflow exhaust at a discounted cost! In exchange I posted reviews on the products! I used to ride motocross and had some sponsorships where I received 50-75% off of parts and gear and that is where I got the idea. And I rode recreationally and only reaced a couple times....the companies just wanted you to run their logos on your bike or wear their gear out at the tracks. Being that JKS is a good company and there is a lack of reviews, I bet you could look up sponsorships from them or email the company directly explaining that you are looking at getting a new lift kit to replace the current and would like to buy theirs, but the amount of reviews available are few and far between and that you would install the product and put together a video/forum review if they could provide you the parts at a discounted cost. I would offer a review at 3 and 6 months as a follow up to address any issues like sagging...if it sags. I would also provide pictures of your Jeep how it sits now to show that you do in fact have a kit now. You can always offer to run their decals during the review period.

Just a thought.

StG58 and Chris like this.
  5. sandplasma

sandplasma Member

No trying to hijack - I purchased and installed a 2.5 RC Lift Kit before I knew any better. Would replacing just the shocks with OME be enough or would I also need OME springs? Not sure how RC can fuck up springs but who knows.

Coastiehog likes this.
  6. bobthetj03

bobthetj03 TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

A spring is just a spring for the most part. There are different spring rates for handling different weights, but basically all the springs are doing are lifting your jeep to a desired height and keeping it there based on how much your rig weighs. The shocks do all the dampening work. Since you have a budget in mind, I hear good things about Rancho's RS5000X shocks being tuned nicely to our TJ's. They usually have a "Shocktober" special in October where you buy 3 and get the 4th free, FYI.

sandplasma, Coastiehog and StG58 like this.
  7. sandplasma

sandplasma Member

Thank you!

Chris, bobthetj03 and StG58 like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree. The real weak point of the RC lifts (aside from horrible and crappy bushings) is the shocks. The shocks shouldn't even be considered shocks, they're just pogo sticks.

When I had an RC lift way back in the day, I swapped the shocks out for Bilstein 5100 shocks and it totally transformed the way it drove.

These are the shocks I reccomend for that lift:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BPDDPKM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Coastiehog likes this.
  9. sandplasma

sandplasma Member

Those appear to be for a 2'' lift. I have a 2.5 inch lift. Would they still work?

10. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

For reference:
    In the front, 13.5" compressed length shocks fit with no bumpstop extension.
    In the rear, 12.5" compressed length shocks fit with no bumpstop extension.

Regardless of lift height, subtract the compressed length of the new shocks you're trying to fit and you've got a good starting point for the required bumpstop extension.

Example: 15.5" compressed length shock equals 15.5" - 13.5" = 2" front bumpstop requirement.

For 2.5" of lift, if you're running 31" or 32" tires, 13.5" compressed length front shocks will work nicely. 13.5" compressed length rear shocks will as well, and require 1.25" of rear bumpstop extension. If you're running 33" tires, you can get 14.5" compressed length front shocks, but you'll need 1" front bumpstop extension, which you need anyway for the 33" tires, so it works out. The rear shocks will be the same as above, 13.5" compressed length, with 1.25"-1.5" rear bumpstop extension.

So if I were you, I'd actually get these ones:

Fronts:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FU7S8S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Rears:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WO11F8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are the Bilstein 5100 shocks meant for a 3" lift (I for some reason misread and though you had a 2" lift). Those ones will be slightly longer, but that's easily fixed with just a bit of bump stop extension. You could get the ones I mentioned previously, but those will be a little to short, since they are meant for a 0-2" lift, and you're better off with the shocks being a little too long as oppose to a little to short.

I love my Bilstein 5100s FYI. Had them for years now and they ride extremely well both on-road and off-road.

derekmac likes this.
  11. Ted

Ted TJ Enthusiast

It seriously sucks living in Alaska when it comes to shipping. I would be more than happy to send anything that will go flate rate USPS. There is a 4 Wheel Parts store 2 miles down the road.

Chris likes this.
  12. NSTRNGS

NSTRNGS New Member

I just purchased my 1st jeep a little over a month ago. I installed the RC 4" lift. Didnt realize until after i had the alignment done that it needed a longer front track bar which wasnt included, so I ordered one. As far as the ride quality, its fine on paved roads and not too bad offroad. I lowered the tire pressure down and it seemed to go everywhere i wanted without hassle. It did seem a little rough, but without knowing what to compare it too, its hard to say the shocks are junk. I had bilsteins on my HD chevy and seemed about the same offroad. So i guess i will just have to wait and see through time if this kit is as bad as most of you are saying. I have bilsteins on my baja bug too, for years, so if the shocks go bad then that will be the upgrade.

Chris and Nicholas like this.
  13. sandplasma

sandplasma Member

Thanks for your advice, I changed my shocks to Rancho RS5000X and could definitely feel a nicer ride. Will keep the RC shocks for a few months just in case and then maybe sell them.

bobthetj03 and Chris like this.