Should I buy this Ford 8.8 axle?

Why do I get the feeling if you two were in a bar one of you’d be saying ‘what are you looking at’ :ladiesman:

Man unless you’re made of money that’s an extremely expensive thing to do just as a temporary placeholder, you’re talking at least a grand in parts for the kit with the least expensive locker that’s required, add in labor and a possible re-gear & maybe double that… if you want ‘tons’ seems to make more sense to throw that cash at them right out of the gate.

I can do either 44/8.8 swap for under $500 plus the axle. I was asking him what the difference in ground clearance between the 44 and 8.8 and he is asking about tire size? Which I don’t know what it has to do with when measuring ground clearance between the two axles. I don’t think he knows what he’s talking about as he has oem axles.

Thanks for the input on the ton swap. My buddy has tons and well as my uncle, I have a general understand of what’s involved and what’s it costs.

I ask about tire size as a way to focus the discussion. Are you putting 40s on this rear axle?

I can do either 44/8.8 swap for under $500 plus the axle. I was asking him what the difference in ground clearance between the 44 and 8.8 and he is asking about tire size? Which I don’t know what it has to do with when measuring ground clearance between the two axles. I don’t think he knows what he’s talking about as he has oem axles.

Thanks for the input on the ton swap. My buddy has tons and well as my uncle, I have a general understand of what’s involved and what’s it costs.

I'm rather sure he knows what he's talking about.

I've read the ground clearance difference between a 35 & 8.8 is around an inch though don't quote me on that, my memory is highly suspect - I'd try a google search which will lead you back here likely to a thread

A Dana 44 from a TJ fits a TJ without any work. An 8.8 doesn't fit a TJ. But when it is made to do so it has less ground clearance than a Dana 44. I'll leave it to you to make a case for the extra weight adding value beyond its other issues. :)
How much ground clearance are you talking about?

I looked up ground clearance number. Internet says its 0.25” differnce in ground clearance between a Dana 44 and a ford 8.8 rear solid axle. Dana 44 being the one with more ground clearance. A freaking quarter ince.

I'm rather sure he knows what he's talking about.

I've read the ground clearance difference between a 35 & 8.8 is around an inch though don't quote me on that, my memory is highly suspect - I'd try a google search which will lead you back here likely to a thread
It’s 0.75” according to my google search and jeepforum

I found an 8.8 local with correct gearing to replace my Dana 35. The post mentioned that it's set up for 3-4 inches of lift with the Artec truss system. I'm running a 2.5 inch lift with no drive line angle correction. Should I go for it for $500? He mentions that the LCA mounts are not installed if this makes a difference with the pinion angle. I do have access to a welder. I've done some reading but not sure on the angle of the dangle.
My vote is GO FOR IT!!!!! :cool:

Again. What tire size are we building for? It must be 30" tires.

Im gonna suspect he is staying in the under 35” club since he never took his last jeep offroad. He is currently running a 31”. The 8.8 is perfect for a 31”-35” tire in stock form. Much more beef compared to the current 35 he is running.

I'm late on the post but don't see where anyone replied to tire size. I think they were just trying to give you an overall clearance. Ex. if you have 30" tires you would have X clearance and if you have 33" tires you would have X+3" of clearance. So in that relation he would know what he is talking about.

A Super 35 or a Dana 44 makes far more sense for tires to 35" than an 8.8 does. Both fit the Jeep properly and both can be made sufficiently strong for 35s with less work and comparable costs. For 37+ an 8.8, while arguably strong enough, is nowhere near wide enough to ever be a good choice.

I'm late on the post but don't see where anyone replied to tire size. I think they were just trying to give you an overall clearance. Ex. if you have 30" tires you would have X clearance and if you have 33" tires you would have X+3" of clearance. So in that relation he would know what he is talking about.

Bro what the hell are you saying?

No, jjvw said the 44 has more ground clearance compared to a 8.8. I asked him to give me a number since I’m loookng into doing a 8.8 swap.
I can’t stand when people just post nonsense on forums with no numbers.

No matter what tire size you run, The Dana 35 is gonna give you the most clearance, then the 44 then the 8.8.
Difference in 44 to 8.8 is a quarter of an inch.
differnce in 35 to 8.8 is three quarters.
Not enough to matter offroad in my opinion.

Bro what the hell are you saying?

No, jjvw said the 44 has more ground clearance compared to a 8.8. I asked him to give me a number since I’m loookng into doing a 8.8 swap.
I can’t stand when people just post nonsense on forums with no numbers.

No matter what tire size you run, The Dana 35 is gonna give you the most clearance, then the 44 then the 8.8.
Difference in 44 to 8.8 is a quarter of an inch.
differnce in 35 to 8.8 is three quarters.
Not enough to matter offroad in my opinion.

I deeply apologize for not immediately having that measurement for you. Fortunately, it wasn't a nonsense assertion.

It sounds like the 8.8 is the perfect axle for what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I deeply apologize for not immediately having that measurement.

It sounds like the 8.8 is the perfect axle for what you are looking for.
You avoided my question like the plague! Haha no faults man. I was wondering once you said that, I just thought they were about the same and your post freaked me out! I am planned on going junking this weekend to find a 8.8.

To the op it all comes down to cost, you mah get lucky and find a 44 take out for $500 or may never find one cheaper than $1200. You always have the junkyard 8.8 for cheap. Essentially your gonna be in it all about the same I think.

You avoided my question like the plague! Haha no faults man. I was wondering once you said that, I just thought they were about the same and your post freaked me out! I am planned on going junking this weekend to find a 8.8.

To the op it all comes down to cost, you mah get lucky and find a 44 take out for $500 or may never find one cheaper than $1200. You always have the junkyard 8.8 for cheap. Essentially your gonna be in it all about the same I think.

Be helpful and lay out the required costs and the work needed to make an 8.8 fit a TJ.

After that, those in a similar position can decide which direction makes the most sense.

RGA Super 35 kit $305.
https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit

Locker of your choice
$500-$1000

R&P
~$300

Regear
$500-700.

Last edited:
Heavy is relative, big is not when the big is what hangs below the axle tubes and the 8.8 is a pig in that regard.
Wow....
I’m know I’m new but I been around cars for a long time.

Mrblain, I do agree that more hangs below, but it doesn’t affect ground clearance. If that makes sense

Maybe I’m confused. I am talking about the axles ground clearance!
From bottom of diff to axle centerline.
For mrblaine we are essentially measuring what’s below the axle tube....
Dana 35 - 5”
Dana 44 with 2.5” tube -5.25”
8.8 - 5.75”

Anyone got their diff covers off this weekend? Or some bare housings laying around. I need some pics to make a thread worth something around here.