Should I buy this Ford 8.8 axle?

chef_vader

I found an 8.8 local with correct gearing to replace my Dana 35. The post mentioned that it's set up for 3-4 inches of lift with the Artec truss system. I'm running a 2.5 inch lift with no drive line angle correction. Should I go for it for $500? He mentions that the LCA mounts are not installed if this makes a difference with the pinion angle. I do have access to a welder. I've done some reading but not sure on the angle of the dangle.

At first thought , if all the brackets are already set for say a 4" lift , the simplest thing to do (if you get it) would be to finish welding the lower control arm brackets and make the axle complete in its current configuration. Other than that , you would have to cut off all the other brackets reset your pinion angle for your 2.5" lift and reweld them for your current pinion angle setup.
Now if you do finish up the 8.8 for the 4" lift (and it should be fairly easy to figuure out C/A bracket location biased on the artec truss system. Artec can answer that for you quickly ) it would still work as long as you have adjustable rear control arms, adjustable track bar , SYE, C/V drive shaft , brake lines......
its just that your springs will be rotated at an arch slightly. Good thing would be that if you ever decided to to go a 4" lift , you would still be good. Now remember I said at first thought. There may be something Im missing, and the others can surly add to this.
You could always measure your current rear pinion angle and the rear pinion angle of the 8.8 (by setting the 8.8s spring perch at zero degrees then measure pinion angle) and Artec could help you from there too.
To answer your question "should you go for it"? Well I just can't answer that.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef_vader
I'm not as familiar with theFord 8.8 axle as some of the guys on here. It sounds like a pretty good deal for the most part.

I'm sure the others who have more experience with this axle will chime in.

What are your build plans for the Jeep?

Even under the best of circumstances, the 8.8 is big, heavy and the wrong width. If you ever plan on a locker, go with the Super 35 kit. You'll be good for 35" tires with far fewer real world compromises compared to the 8.8.

Reactions: Chris
still moving along with this?

i have about 16.5 degrees pinion angle worked into mine to start with and had some slight vibrations so then i rotated the axle back just slightly further by adjusting my upper control arms and that got it to where theres no more vibration even on the highway

Even under the best of circumstances, the 8.8 is big, heavy and the wrong width. If you ever plan on a locker, go with the Super 35 kit. You'll be good for 35" tires with far fewer real world compromises compared to the 8.8.
Not trying to start a fire, but why is big and heavy a bad thing? The Dana 44 is bigger and heavier than a Dana 35...so is it bad too?

What is a super 35?

Not trying to start a fire, but why is big and heavy a bad thing? The Dana 44 is bigger and heavier than a Dana 35...so is it bad too?
A Dana 44 from a TJ fits a TJ without any work. An 8.8 doesn't fit a TJ. But when it is made to do so it has less ground clearance than a Dana 44. I'll leave it to you to make a case for the extra weight adding value beyond its other issues. :)

A Dana 44 from a TJ fits a TJ without any work. An 8.8 doesn't fit a TJ. But when it is made to do so it has less ground clearance than a Dana 44. I'll leave it to you to make a case for the extra weight adding value beyond its other issues. :)

How much ground clearance are you talking about?

Compared to what? The 35 or the 44?

You're leading to something. I can tell. What tire sizes are we basing all this around?
I just looked at your profile and see you for the rubcin so it has a 44 rear.

I don’t understand what your saying about me leading to something...

What is the clearance diffidence between the 8.8 and 44. I’m looking at going to tons of my buddy will ever find me some, but need to swap out my 35 or do the super 35 kit ASAP!

I just looked at your profile and see you for the rubcin so it has a 44 rear.

I don’t understand what your saying about me leading to something...

What is the clearance diffidence between the 8.8 and 44. I’m looking at going to tons of my buddy will ever find me some, but need to swap out my 35 or do the super 35 kit ASAP!
What tire size?

Why do I get the feeling if you two were in a bar one of you’d be saying ‘what are you looking at’ :ladiesman:

I’m looking at going to tons of my buddy will ever find me some, but need to swap out my 35 or do the super 35 kit ASAP!

Man unless you’re made of money that’s an extremely expensive thing to do just as a temporary placeholder, you’re talking at least a grand in parts for the kit with the least expensive locker that’s required, add in labor and a possible re-gear & maybe double that… if you want ‘tons’ seems to make more sense to throw that cash at them right out of the gate.

Reactions: Chris