Should I install my SYE now, or wait?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'd like yall's advice here, I would like to go ahead and install my SYE and order the drive shaft with my Dana 35 currently installed (and maybe stick some Chromoly axles in). I'm not sure how long it will be before I can get my ford 8.8 brackets welded on and axle installed. Im sure the new CV axle with the SYE kit will be different lengths for the Dana 35 vs 8.8 , but maybe once the 8.8 gets installed i can just get another section of drive shaft ( by sending it back to Adams) for the 8.8. So would you say I should install the SYE for now , or wait (could be a while) for he 8.8 to be installed?
thanks

What do you need the SYE for right now? Are you dealing w vibes?

not really any vibes, but wanting to get rid of the transfer case drop kit for my 4" lift and to correct some of the stresses of that lift. There have got to be some harmonic issues on the output shaft of the T case with the stock set up ?

I suggest to do it now, especially that you have clear that may need to deal with the drive shaft later when swap to the 8.8. All of this mods are extensive work and lots of room for errors and changes while there. So if you can have your SYE and drop transfer case removed on advance next step will be easier.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Do you have adjustable control arms? If not, then you can't run the DC rear drive shaft.

If it fits and you can get the pinion adjusted, then why not? At 4" of spring lift, you might also need lower adjustables.

what up Allen? So what's your advice?

Hey Eddie.

If you want to install it now, go ahead. The issue is the 1" longer pinion on the 8.8 and the u-joint is probably a 1330 (check to make sure). If it is, you will need to get a flange adapter, a crossover u-joint, or a 1310 8.8 yoke to use your existing DS w/o mods. You could compensate for the longer pinion by getting a shorty SYE (not super shorty) now. That way your DS won't have to be modified later (just the above mentioned). You just have to be careful flexing it out offroad until then.

Namaste,

Allen

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Hey Eddie.

If you want to install it now, go ahead. The issue is the 1" longer pinion on the 8.8 and the u-joint is probably a 1330 (check to make sure). If it is, you will need to get a flange adapter, a crossover u-joint, or a 1310 8.8 yoke to use your existing DS w/o mods. You could compensate for the longer pinion by getting a shorty SYE (not super shorty) now. That way your DS won't have to be modified later (just the above mentioned). You just have to be careful flexing it out offroad until then.

Namaste,

Allen
thanks Allen, yeah I got the Teraflex mega short SYE kit. I got it on a Ebay discounted deal at 97.00 off listed price. So may not be able to do it. ill call teraflex and adams driveshaft tomorrow and ask a few questions.