Should I solder the stereo head unit wires?

You know what the problem is with trying to teach folks how to do the right thing? Shit like your reply.

You crack me up. Go reread the posts. I said crimping is the preferred method but if you can't crimp go practice or solder.

I am advising the reader it is better to risk having a poor solder connection than a dangling power wire at your feet. One should also practice if they are a rookie so they can can eventually learn to crimp and get it done right the first time.

How did you contain the polyfil in the front? It looks like you could fit an entire pillow up in there. I was worried it would travel around in the dash and start a fire if not contained somehow. I do have the foam inserts.
I put the pollyfill in the foam baffles. I didn't trim the baffles, so the excess helps separate the rear from the front some 20200119_171006.jpg more.

Reactions: skrelnik
I like to connect the wires (twisted together or jumper wires, I have 10 or 12 in my box) and verify function of the radio to make sure LH front is LH front, etc. Basically to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. Then connect them permanently, whichever way you choose.

Reactions: skrelnik
Well tonight I reinforced the old adage that you get what you pay for. The $8.99 soldering iron I bought at AutoZone is crap. My previous gun is MIA so I picked this one up. Waste of time and money. 2 wires connected and I'm out. Lol. Tractor Supply tomorrow.

Get a Weller with the two heat ranges.

Reactions: Willys LJ
I have a set of those. Just off of Amazon. So if I use those I don't need polyfill in the front?

You can just use those, listen, then add a little polyfill, don't pack it in there, loosely fill it, and then listen. See which way your ears prefer. Honestly, adding some inline tweeters into the a-pillars for $20 would be a nice upgrade as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWJTIBE/?tag=wranglerorg-20