Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

I thought a Truetrac was a locker? Or, is it an upgraded carrier?
A Detroit Truetrac is a limited slip differential, it works entirely differently and far less aggressively than a locker does. Consider limited slip differentials like the Truetrac as being more paved road oriented and lockers being purely offroad oriented. Truetracs don't do much at all on trails uneven enough to lift one of the tires on a Truetrac equipped axle off the trail.

Jerry B: "The Super 35 from Superior Axle is a very worthy upgrade, it definitely allows a Dana 35c to be locked with up to 35" size tires without much worry. I swapped my Dana 35c for a Dana 44 but would have no qualms running a Super 35 in really tough terrain.

In fact, the 30 spline hardened alloy shafts that come in a Super 35 kit are slightly stronger than the OE 30 spline shafts used in a Dana 44. Plus the axle tubes used in a TJ Dana 30 and TJ Dana 44 are identical. So other than the R&P gears being smaller in a Dana 35 which is really not a huge deal for 99% of wheelers, there's not much to not like about the Super 35 kit.

If swapping axles is no big deal and you can find a TJ Dana 44, that would be a good way to go but as said already, the Super 35 kit is entirely worthy and it survives in some very rough terrain. I know of several Jeeping friends that wheeled in positively brutal Johnson Valley with Super 35 equipped TJs. They often broke other stuff but not their Super 35 axle shafts.
smile.gif
"

Jerry B:
It's called a Super 35 kit and it actually makes the right Dana 35 parts (axle shafts and carrier) stronger than a stock Dana 44. Hardened chromoly 30 spline shafts vs. the Dana 44's carbon steel 30 spline shafts. Not to mention its full case locker that price includes that doesn't come in a junkyard 8.8.

A Super 35's hardened chromoly 30 spline shafts are stronger than an 8.8's 31 spline carbon steel shafts and you'd have just as much trouble finding a spare 8.8 axle shaft on the trail as you would a Super 35 shaft. Not to mention the Super 35's reputation on the trail, by those who actually know, is superb. During the entire time Superior Axle made their Super 35 kits, and they were sold by the thousands, they only had a handful of broken axleshafts (I was told single digits by their former GM) replaced under warranty. It was one of their most successful products ever.

Jerry B: "That's a very good kit, it doesn't get any better than Revolution Gear & Axle.... it's definitely worthy of 35" tires.
So far as the ring & pinion gears go, the only thing that has to be done is to set the backlash which is not difficult, at least not nearly as difficult as setting the R&P gears up from scratch. Setting the backlash only involves shimming the ARB carrier left or right until the right amount of backlash between the ring & pinion gears is achieved. Enough preload also has to be included to make the ARB tight enough to require a couple blows from a mallet to seat it into the housing.

However, there's a lot more to getting the rest of an ARB air locker installed properly than just getting the backlash set. That is why ARB strongly urges it be installed by someone who is experienced at installing ARB air lockers. Not just lockers, specifically the ARB Air Locker which isn't an easy install. For that reason, I wouldn't consider this kit really installable by Joe-average shadetree mechanic even if setting the backlash would be an easy job for him."

Jerry B:
Something that was immensely surprising to me while I was installing one of Superior Axle's axle trusses onto my Dana 44 axle, according to Mac McMillan who ran Superior Axle at the time, was that they had surprisingly discovered the Dana 35 pumpkin was actually a bit stiffer than the Dana 44's pumpkin was. He indicated the Dana 44 actually needed the truss more than the Dana 35 did. Not to mention the Dana 35 and TJ Dana 44 axle tubes are cut from the same exact same tube stock.

Jerry B:
The Dana 35's ring & pinion gears don't have a reputation for giving problems with 35's and Super 35 kits at all. That's only a rumor spread by some with no personal experience. Super 35 equipped TJs are common in the toughest wheeling areas in North America like Johnson Valley without ring and pinion gear problems. It's similar to the old rumor 4.88 was too low of a ratio for TJ axles and that the pinion gear with that ratio was too small to hold up.... which was eventually proven untrue too.

The bottom line is that Super 35 kits have been around 16-17 years and they have a sterling reputation among those who don't simply repeat rumors..

Hope you don't mind Jerry. Just some of my Google fu...

SC

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I thought a Truetrac was a locker? Or, is it an upgraded carrier?

It seems like getting Revolution axle shafts, and at the very least a rear upgraded carrier is a very reasonable investment. One which is simpler than replacing my rear axle with a Dana 44. Would you agree?

Like Jerry already explained the Truetrac is worm gear driven limited slip. Much stronger than a stock 35 carrier/spiders. Like he stated, if wheels are coming off the ground regularly it may not be the best traction device for you. Although some brake pedal usage can help if a wheel is in the air. Another option is an air or electric style locker. Locker off road, open on road. Much more expense and potential maintenance, however.

So yes, a lot of endorsement for a super 35. However that's upgrading almost everything in it!

I have read about limited slips, they seem to be in between a locking differential and the stock 4x4 system. Is that true?

Just to start out, I think just replacing all of my axle shafts would be a good start. Would y'all agree?

I just want peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tim_2251
Starting out by just replacing all of your axle shafts with chromoly ones would be a great start!

Just so I know - if I upgraded to these 30 spline axles. Then how much farther up the "severity level" would my axle carrier break next? Is that something that I should worry about? Or, since I have much stronger axles, in addition to how careful I off-road anyway, should I be worried at all?

If you upgrade to those axle shafts the next thing that would likely break is going to be your ring / pinion / carrier as it will be the next weak point.

In terms of how weak, well I don't know. If you have a heavy foot and big tires, then you'll almost certainly break it. If you drive cautiously and don't believe that the gas pedal is the only way out of certain situations, then I think you'll be fine.

If you upgrade to those axle shafts the next thing that would likely break is going to be your ring / pinion / carrier as it will be the next weak point.

In terms of how weak, well I don't know. If you have a heavy foot and big tires, then you'll almost certainly break it. If you drive cautiously and don't believe that the gas pedal is the only way out of certain situations, then I think you'll be fine.

33's are the biggest I will ever go. And I would drive cautiously forever and from now on to assure that I don't break anything. :O

I am curious though. One time I was trying to go up a steep, bumpy incline. Had it in 4lo, and since I have a manual I had to massage the clutch and gas together to try and make it up this incline. Well, I guess I applied to much gas at the wrong time while going over all these bumps, heard a loud pop from my axle area, then let off of everything and gave up for the day....... haven't had any problems though since, I have wanted to empty my differential fluid though just to see if I can see anything possibly damaged?

Reactions: Chris
33's are the biggest I will ever go. And I would drive cautiously forever and from now on to assure that I don't break anything. :O

I am curious though. One time I was trying to go up a steep, bumpy incline. Had it in 4lo, and since I have a manual I had to massage the clutch and gas together to try and make it up this incline. Well, I guess I applied to much gas at the wrong time while going over all these bumps, heard a loud pop from my axle area, then let off of everything and gave up for the day....... haven't had any problems though since, I have wanted to empty my differential fluid though just to see if I can see anything possibly damaged?

I doubt that pop was from your axle. It was likely something to do with the spring / suspension popping in or out of place. Nothing to worry about though as long as nothing broke and it's been fine since.

You could empty your diff if you wanted, but I suspect you won't find anything. Still, doesn't hurt to do it if your diff fluid is in need of changing anyways.

I doubt that pop was from your axle. It was likely something to do with the spring / suspension popping in or out of place. Nothing to worry about though as long as nothing broke and it's been fine since.

You could empty your diff if you wanted, but I suspect you won't find anything. Still, doesn't hurt to do it if your diff fluid is in need of changing anyways.

I mean, it was really more like a loud bang, that I felt through the whole body of the vehicle. Made my eyes go really wide. I was applying gas right as I was releasing the clutch into my gears - so actually, maybe, possibly my fly wheel slipping? It was at a time that my wheels were having trouble getting out of these bumps. So, stuck wheels + gas + just releasing the clutch at the right moment.

..I don't know!

I mean, it was really more like a loud bang, that I felt through the whole body of the vehicle. Made my eyes go really wide. I was applying gas right as I was releasing the clutch into my gears - so actually, maybe, possibly my fly wheel slipping? It was at a time that my wheels were having trouble getting out of these bumps. So, stuck wheels + gas + just releasing the clutch at the right moment.

..I don't know!

That could have been it as well, dropping the clutch too hard and everything just catching and snapping like that. I've done that before on previous vehicles, so that is also a very likely possibility as well.

That could have been it as well, dropping the clutch too hard and everything just catching and snapping like that. I've done that before on previous vehicles, so that is also a very likely possibility as well.

Yea that sounds more like it. I just wouldn't expect a loud bang - i'd expect to feel something grinding or vibrating?

But when you say an axle carrier, what are you referring to? The ring and pinion gear setup?

Yea that sounds more like it. I just wouldn't expect a loud bang - i'd expect to feel something grinding or vibrating?

But when you say an axle carrier, what are you referring to? The ring and pinion gear setup?

No, the ring and pinion is different. But if you buy a new locker or limited slip diff, it will come with a new carrier.

Oh, ok, so its only "upgradeable" if you get a locker/limited slip which comes with it?

Not 100% sure about that. I'll wait for Jerry or someone more knowledgable to chime in on that one.

But yeah, if you get a locker, then problem solved.

To be clear, to use the 30 spline Dana 35 axles you will have to buy either the Detroit locker, ARB, or whatever else is available in 30 spline. You can use the 27 spline alloy axles in the 35 with a stock carrier, but I would recommend going to the Truetrac or something other than the stock carrier and spider gears as they are prone to breakage. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled the rear cover to find some broken teeth on the spiders. Big, loud bangs are never a good sound when applying torque.

Reactions: StG58
We were posting at the same time; the ring and pinion is it's own deal. You can swap gears if you want but it's not necessary.

Ohhh ok - I get it now. The 27 splines are good, but to go with the better (larger diameter) 30 splines you need to get a different carrier to accept it.

Pardon me, axle setups escape me.

Last edited: