Should track bars bind at ride height?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
With the jeep at ride height on a level concrete floor. should the track bar both front and rear, have any tension, or bind on them? Also shold they come out ot the bracket easy once the bolt is removed?

The tracbars will almost always have tension on the mounting locations and bushings since they are centering the differentials under the frame/body.

And the through bolts should come out easily, but the connections that have cotter key style nuts are tapered studs like tie rod ends, and may require a ball fork to separate.

Sometimes, if you’re lucky, you can remove the cotter key, loosen the nut a few turns, and then smack the top of the nut with a hammer and the tapered stud will pop loose.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I’ve always had some sort of force on mine, but not enough I couldn’t lightly hammer the bolt out.

With the front, you can cheat by using the steering wheel to force the axle to align or take the pressure off the trackbar.
With the rear, I’ll just use ratchet straps to line it up. Alternatively, if you raise and lower the axle, the trackbar end position relative to the axle changes and you can line up the holes that way.

I recently saw a warning from Blaine that the body can actually fall sideways on the springs without the trackbar connected, so be very careful if you’re not on stands.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
And the through bolts should come out easily, but the connections that have cotter key style nuts are tapered studs like tie rod ends, and may require a ball fork to separate.

Sometimes, if you’re lucky, you can remove the cotter key, loosen the nut a few turns, and then smack the top of the nut with a hammer and the tapered stud will pop loose.
Yeah I’m basically talking about the bolts. Two on the rear track bar and one on the front track bar