Should you be able to turn the front drive shaft by hand when not in 4WD?

I’m new to this I understand your explanation and I have a question, I’m replacing the two front wheel bearings and I ear some grinding noise coming from the passenger side, now with the car in neutral and the the front axle on jack stands here what’s happening: when I turn the driver side hub assembly back and forth the drive shaft turns also but not the passenger side and when I do it to the passenger side the driver side turns but not the drive shaft it doesn’t make any sense to me please help thanks

I’m new to this I understand your explanation and I have a question, I’m replacing the two front wheel bearings and I ear some grinding noise coming from the passenger side, now with the car in neutral and the the front axle on jack stands here what’s happening: when I turn the driver side hub assembly back and forth the drive shaft turns also but not the passenger side and when I do it to the passenger side the driver side turns but not the drive shaft it doesn’t make any sense to me please help thanks

It's the differential working its best explained by this video:
This doesn't help you with your grinding sounds but is working as it should.

Tagging onto Paulo’s question - I’m in the process of replacing front axle u-joints and unit bearings. Everything on the ends of the axle shafts looked good, but when I put them back in I sethe following:
1- rotating the wheel in either forward or reverse, the other wheel rotated the other way and the drive shaft doesn’t turn.
2- turning the driveshaft causes both wheels to turn in the same direction.

All good, correct?

Appreciate the feed back!

Tagging onto Paulo’s question - I’m in the process of replacing front axle u-joints and unit bearings. Everything on the ends of the axle shafts looked good, but when I put them back in I sethe following:
1- rotating the wheel in either forward or reverse, the other wheel rotated the other way and the drive shaft doesn’t turn.
2- turning the driveshaft causes both wheels to turn in the same direction.

All good, correct?
Yes all good.

Thanks Jerry! Any thoughts on why wheel would lock up when torquing the axle nut? You can get it to start binding just turning the socket by hand. I’m thinking that is not good.