Should you get a heavy duty fan clutch?

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
This is primarily for the newer Jeeps with a spin on clutch like my 2004 and the short answer is no, you should get what is called a severe duty clutch, the Mopar replacement or Hayden part number 2791.

@Longwhitejeep posted a few pictures that show pretty well what this is about.

A few years back I did a cooling system overhaul and purchased a Hayden 2771 heavy duty fan clutch. It is the Hayden clutch most part guides recommend for the 2004 wrangler. They cost about $40 now compared to the Mopar clutch which comes in at just over $120. I figured at the time heavy duty was great and it worked fine.

2771.jpg

This time around I figured I'd research again and see if standard duty was available or what the best option was. Turns out Hayden shows each clutch design in their application guide:

hayden.jpg

Here is the Mopar fan clutch for the 2004 Jeep part number 68064765AA:

mopar-clutch.jpg

it appears the Hayden extreme duty fan clutch part number 2791 is very similar to what was installed from the factory and the guides list the wrong part. I'll leave it to everybody else to guess why they list the heavy duty and not the severe duty clutch, I don't really know. The severe costs about two dollars more than the heavy duty Hayden and about $90 less than the Mopar clutch. I think the Hayden heavy duty and severe duty designs in general are sold by several companies for our Jeeps, for example Murry and Four Seasons looks like they make a heavy duty style and other aftermarket clutches are the severe duty design.

If you read the details above in the Hayden application guide the extreme duty engages slightly less when idle and slightly more when active and is supposed to last a lot longer. I did notice when I installed the clutch it makes less noise than the heavy duty clutch did when the engine is cold and you can hear it engage a little sharper when things get hot but that's very subtle. It makes less noise on the highway as well. I haven't put many miles on it but I'll report back if there is anything to report.

There is nothing wrong with the 2771 or heavy duty clutch. I don't think anybody needs to swap one because of this. It worked fine for me, I just think it's the wrong part if you are shopping for a Hayden replacement.

Last edited:
This is interesting, I recently replaced my factory one with a Napa heavy duty clutch, probably similar to the 2771. It has helped solve my problem with temps creeping up near 220 on these out of the ordinary 100+ temps and I definitely realized I've been driving around the last couple years with a nonfunctional factory one. Aside from the really hot days it worked just fine. Makes me kinda want to swap it back on after summer as the new one definitely sucks a lot of power out of the engine.

If the 2791 is engaged less when the engine is cold that might be just what I'm looking for power wise

You might notice the difference, it's pretty small. The Hayden is allot cheaper to experiment with than the Mopar that's for sure. When I first put the 2771 on it really howled but finally settled in, this thing has been well behaved since day one, I mean today.

Have anyone put this fan clutch in and noticed belt squeal during quick acceleration?

I put this fan clutch in a few weeks ago immediately noticed the belt will squeal under quick acceleration when the fan clutch is locked up. It definitely sounds like the fan clutch as the belt won't squeal when Temps are low enough for the clutch not to lock up. I went out to lunch today in the jeep and it reminded me to look into this issue.

I have replaced the idler pulleys tensioner and belt about 3k miles ago. No issues noted with the belt on the oem clutch that was replaced.

my ac was cool but not icy,,took it to my guy he looked at it for 45 min....an then said I need a new fan clutch????wtf...I told him my jeep runs 210 uphill down ac on or off even when I have to go to Gilbert/phx in the summer....he said that may be but ur's is the orig....olny one that had one in my lil town was auto zone $50 lifetime warranty.i ac colder when im going slow but I see no diff.in eng.temp.was a bitch to change.

Well that explains why the heavy duty Hayden I used on my tj was so loud. Now I know what to get if I end up replacing the one on the lj.

Well that explains why the heavy duty Hayden I used on my tj was so loud. Now I know what to get if I end up replacing the one on the lj.

The severe duty 2791 I'm running is loud too when it locks up and initial start up for the first few minutes.

I get belt squeal with mine too at about 3k rpm with the 2791. You can hear it. I am thinking of just moving to a mopar unit.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
well, I just had the 2771 delivered and it’s going this weekend. Ugh, so after reading 30+ posted laying out the 2771 as what should be on there, ha. For $4@ I may regret, but I’ve gone the route if 1 item at a time, so I’ll have good localized data showing if a 2771 works at idle in crazy hot temps. If not, I’m in the 2791 quickly.

I just replaced my 2771 with the 2791. Not because I was having engine cooling problems, but I want to see if it will make my A/C just a little cooler in stop-and-go traffic and slow trail speeds. Since I’ve put it on a few days ago, the temps haven’t been as high as July temps usually are down here, so I don’t have any real info to give. It’s no worse than it was before with temps in the 80’s though.

2771 on the left.

F4795754-6759-4DD2-AA00-6A0B245FF629.jpeg

57CFEF08-5B1E-4705-8B96-D9F457678A63.jpeg

1A7F6C96-8FFA-4EE0-8CAB-D60490743AD0.jpeg

Last edited:
I just replaced my 2771 with the 2791. Not because I was having engine cooling problems, but I want to see if it will make my A/C just a little cooler in stop-and-go traffic and slow trail speeds. Since I’ve put it on a few days ago, the temps haven’t been as high as July temps usually are down here, so I don’t have any real info to give. It’s no worse than it was before with temps in the 80’s though.

Keep us posted, please...

well, I just had the 2771 delivered and it’s going this weekend. Ugh, so after reading 30+ posted laying out the 2771 as what should be on there, ha. For $4@ I may regret, but I’ve gone the route if 1 item at a time, so I’ll have good localized data showing if a 2771 works at idle in crazy hot temps. If not, I’m in the 2791 quickly.

I had the 2771 on for about 3 years with no issues as far as engine cooling. I doubt you will either if the rest of your cooling system is up to par.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I'd be interested if you have the same issue I am having with the 2791 several duty. Harder/quick acceleration when the clutch is engaged will make the belt squeal. I'm running a gates belt fwiw.

So far, I haven’t noticed the 2791 being any louder than the 2771 at initial start up. Haven’t heard any belt squeal yet. I don’t remember off the top of my head what belt I put on a few years ago.

I‘ll try some quick starts tomorrow when I drive it to work.

I'd be interested if you have the same issue I am having with the 2791 several duty. Harder/quick acceleration when the clutch is engaged will make the belt squeal. I'm running a gates belt fwiw.

I did 3 quick starts up to 3500 rpm’s and one up to almost 4k. Clutch was engaged and really loud. LOL. I didn’t hear any belt squeal. I looked in my notepad that I keep track of maintenance in. My belt has been on longer than I remembered. Installed a Carquest/Dayco (p/n 5060883) belt in July 2016. This was shortly after I bought it. Also changed the belt tensioner and idler pulley in the first year or two. My belt has a little over 30,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
This is primarily for the newer Jeeps with a spin on clutch like my 2004 and the short answer is no, you should get what is called a severe duty clutch, the Mopar replacement or Hayden part number 2791.

A few years back I did a cooling system overhaul and purchased a Hayden 2771 heavy duty fan clutch. It is the Hayden clutch most part guides recommend for the 2004 wrangler. They cost about $40 now compared to the Mopar clutch which comes in at just over $120. I figured at the time heavy duty was great and it worked fine.

View attachment 270531

This time around I figured I'd research again and see if standard duty was available or what the best option was. Turns out Hayden shows each clutch design in their application guide:

View attachment 270534

Here is the Mopar fan clutch for the 2004 Jeep part number 68064765AA:

View attachment 270537

it appears the Hayden extreme duty fan clutch part number 2791 is very similar to what was installed from the factory and the guides list the wrong part. I'll leave it to everybody else to guess why they list the heavy duty and not the severe duty clutch, I don't really know. The severe costs about two dollars more than the heavy duty Hayden and about $90 less than the Mopar clutch. I think the Hayden heavy duty and severe duty designs in general are sold by several companies for our Jeeps, for example Murry and Four Seasons looks like they make a heavy duty style and other aftermarket clutches are the severe duty design.

If you read the details above in the Hayden application guide the extreme duty engages slightly less when idle and slightly more when active and is supposed to last a lot longer. I did notice when I installed the clutch it makes less noise than the heavy duty clutch did when the engine is cold and you can hear it engage a little sharper when things get hot but that's very subtle. It makes less noise on the highway as well. I haven't put many miles on it but I'll report back if there is anything to report.

There is nothing wrong with the 2771 or heavy duty clutch. I don't think anybody needs to swap one because of this. It worked fine for me, I just think it's the wrong part if you are shopping for a Hayden replacement.
Wow great timing. My 2771 I replaced a year ago seems to have shit the bed and is on full engagement all the time now, so I will replace it with the severe duty

This time I’ll get the tool for the job instead of holding the pulley with a bunch of ratchet straps

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I did 3 quick starts up to 3500 rpm’s and one up to almost 4k. Clutch was engaged and really loud. LOL. I didn’t hear any belt squeal. I looked in my notepad that I keep track of maintenance in. My belt has been on longer than I remembered. Installed a Carquest/Dayco (p/n 5060883) belt in July 2016. This was shortly after I bought it. Also changed the belt tensioner and idler pulley in the first year or two. My belt has a little over 30,000 miles on it.

Thanks. Yeah mine is really loud when locked up. My belt and mopar tensioner have about 3k miles on them. I'll double check everything on my setup.

Reactions: MountaineerTom