Should you get a heavy duty fan clutch?

The 2791 definitely fits. I plan on a new radiator now since mine seems to have developed a leak.

Last edited:
How does an air hammer help with this? I haven’t seen that method

Put the air hammer on the edge of the nut and pull the trigger. Enough hits and it loosens it up enough to turn off by hand.

767D9506-02DC-4D73-91EF-0ABA40409BE3.jpeg

I'd think it would be hard on the waterpump bearings and seal...

I get what you are saying but can you really decide based on how you feel about it? I've hammered on mine and not felt great about it but never had issues. Never heard a fan clutch water pump failure connection so overall I wouldn't loose sleep on this one no matter how bad it seems.

I get what you are saying but can you really decide based on how you feel about it? I've hammered on mine and not felt great about it but never had issues. Never heard a fan clutch water pump failure connection so overall I wouldn't loose sleep on this one no matter how bad it seems.

I don't know about loose sleep, but losing sleep is never good! ;)

I had a WP fail the front bearings last year - first time I'd EVER seen that one!

Reactions: pagrey
I just got from Amazon Hayden Automotive 2771 Premium Fan Clutch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3F3A2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My Jeep started to run little hot, especially in idle and under load. I figured that this will be a fan clutch, as the radiator is new, and the thermostat seem to work fine.
I will update after i finished replacement whether it solves my slight overheating issues.

I was off today so I went out and played around on some of the back roads to see how the clutch did. 85 degrees, putting around at 20 mph or so on loose sandy roads. Temps on the Dash Command app got as high as 217 and as low as 199. When at 217, the needle on the instrument cluster was on the far right edge of the dot right above 210. They stayed mostly in the 203-210 range though. After an hour or so of that, I drove through Arby's to pick up lunch. While sitting in line, temps got up to 223 on the Dash Command app. By this time the temp outside was about 90 degrees. The needle on the dash was slightly past the dot above 210. After getting my order and pulling away, temps quickly dropped down to 203-205 on the dash command app.

Last edited:
Hayden 2771 heavy duty fan clutch. It is the Hayden clutch most part guides recommend for the 2004 wrangler. They cost about $40 now compared to the Mopar clutch which comes in at just over $120. I figured at the time heavy duty was great and it worked fine.

View attachment 270531

Here is the Mopar fan clutch for the 2004 Jeep part number 68064765AA:

View attachment 270537

To throw some more (of what, I'm not sure) into the mix, the original fan clutch used at the factory was 52027883AC. Going just by looks, it actually bears more of a resemblance to the 2771 than it does the 2791, which I agree looks more like the 68064765AA that supercedes the original.

1658261391938.png

Though superceded, the 52027883AC appears to be still available at a very similar price to the newer part - both are right around $135. It also has a replica from Crown Automotive that looks more like the Mopar than it does the Hayden, so it might actually be a pretty effective stock replacement, and is only $70.

1658262478387.png

I don't know what any of this actually tells us, and I still don't know what fan clutch I want to buy (between the two Mopar and two Hayden options). I had the 2737 on my '99, which looks just like the 2771 except with a four hole flange attachment instead of the big nut. It worked well enough I guess, but it seemed slow to react - it stayed louder, longer as I took off from a stop, and it let the temperature spike when coming to a sudden stop like it didn't lock up fast enough, and I hadn't noticed that behavior with the clutch it replaced. I don't know if the 2791 would be better in this regard but it does look like it has extra surface area so it might.

1658262090165.png

1658262118248.png

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
I was off today so I went out and played around on some of the back roads to see how the clutch did. 85 degrees, putting around at 20 mph or so on loose sandy roads. Temps on the Dash Command app got as high as 217 and as low as 199. When at 217, the needle on the instrument cluster was on the far right edge of the dot right above 210. They stayed mostly in the 203-210 range though. After an hour or so of that, I drove through Arby's to pick up lunch. While sitting in line, temps got up to 223 on the Dash Command app. By this time the temp outside was about 90 degrees. The needle on the dash was slightly past the dot above 210. After getting my order and pulling away, temps quickly dropped down to 203-205 on the dash command app.

That's what I was seeing as well with similar Temps. Was that 223 number with the ac on?

If it wasn't for my leaky radiator I think the clutch would have been all I needed. It cooled down things pretty quickly.

To throw some more (of what, I'm not sure) into the mix, the original fan clutch used at the factory was 52027883AC. Going just by looks, it actually bears more of a resemblance to the 2771 than it does the 2791, which I agree looks more like the 68064765AA that supercedes the original.

View attachment 344304

Though superceded, the 52027883AC appears to be still available at a very similar price to the newer part - both are right around $135. It also has a replica from Crown Automotive that looks more like the Mopar than it does the Hayden, so it might actually be a pretty effective stock replacement, and is only $70.

View attachment 344317

I don't know what any of this actually tells us, and I still don't know what fan clutch I want to buy (between the two Mopar and two Hayden options). I had the 2737 on my '99, which looks just like the 2771 except with a four hole flange attachment instead of the big nut. It worked well enough I guess, but it seemed slow to react - it stayed louder, longer as I took off from a stop, and it let the temperature spike when coming to a sudden stop like it didn't lock up fast enough, and I hadn't noticed that behavior with the clutch it replaced. I don't know if the 2791 would be better in this regard but it does look like it has extra surface area so it might.

View attachment 344306

View attachment 344309

I have the Mopar 68064765AA on the way as I was getting belt squeal with the 2791 under quick acceleration. I can post comparison photos once that gets here. Online photos it seems to look very similar to the 2791.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
That's what I was seeing as well with similar Temps. Was that 223 number with the ac on?

If it wasn't for my leaky radiator I think the clutch would have been all I needed. It cooled down things pretty quickly.

Yes, A/C was on the entire time out. I never heard any belt squeal either.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
I have the Mopar 68064765AA on the way as I was getting belt squeal with the 2791 under quick acceleration. I can post comparison photos once that gets here. Online photos it seems to look very similar to the 2791.

sorry if you've posted this, but is your tensioner new, or is it possible it might have lost some spring and isn't putting enough tension on the belt?

The link I posted earlier is authorized older thread discussing the same clutch. I believe someone in that thread was having the same squeal issue. Maybe I got a bad clutch, it definitely happens. I could have a bad tensioner too. I will see what the Mopar clutch does when it gets here.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I wish there was a severe duty for the older motors with the old water pump that had studs (99 & prior). Or better yet, Mopar.

I wish there was a severe duty for the older motors with the old water pump that had studs (99 & prior). Or better yet, Mopar.

I wish there was a water pump with the four bolt flange for the newer motors, haha. I don't know of one single thing that was wrong with that setup, other than that it probably took the factory 4x as long to assemble it.