Simple DIY TJ Hard Top Hoist

Yuan

Supporting Member

If you are looking for a reasonably easy way to put together a hoist/lift for your TJ/LJ hardtop, this guy's video is worth watching.
Over the weekend, I followed the tutorial step by step and am glad to report that it actually works. Nothing to write home about--but it gets it done and doesn't cost 600 bucks. (more like 60 actually, 30 for the 2x4s and 2x3s, 30 for the straps, bolts, etc..)
Some random observations:
1)The top hoisted belongs on an LJ, the straps get it up with no problem-likely it'd be easier with a TJ;
2)Not sure the setup as is is a long term solution. The structure does sway at the slightest push. With a 7 year old constantly running around in the drive way, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it up long term. But for a short term fix, works great.
3)Dropping the top is almost as easy/uneventful as lifting it. Basically involves backing the jeep in as straight as possible, once the two front latches are lined up with the holes above the wind shield, the rest of it is pretty much aligned and ready to go back on.
Hope this is helpful for those who are searching for a way to get the top off but don't have a garage.

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4222.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
Just playing arm chair QB a little, you could make it a little more sturdy if you attached a small piece of 2x4 to the side of you house (maybe even paint to match do it doesn’t stick out if hoist frame isn’t there). Which you can then secure a short board from that anchor point on the house to a spot on the hoist frame. That would like take out some sway. Another possible upgrade would be to take the 2x4 running flat across the top and flip it on its side to add some strength (or replace with a 2x6 on its side). But I like the overall simple concept. You can sort of see the front section in pic (that’s an LJ top as well).

I have a homemade lift in my garage that uses a cable through a pulley on ceiling to a boat winch. I use straps to attach mine also. I didn’t like how tight they binded the rear seal so I wrapped that section of strap in pipe insulation for cushioning. I also had some insulation as padding where the straps went around the door opening corners. You can sort of see the front section in pic (that’s an LJ top as well)

38509077-19A6-45D3-A22F-4BA9685B167F.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuan
Just playing arm chair QB a little, you could make it a little more sturdy if you attached a small piece of 2x4 to the side of you house (maybe even paint to match do it doesn’t stick out if hoist frame isn’t there). Which you can then secure a short board from that anchor point on the house to a spot on the hoist frame. That would like take out some sway. Another possible upgrade would be to take the 2x4 running flat across the top and flip it on its side to add some strength (or replace with a 2x6 on its side). But I like the overall simple concept. You can sort of see the front section in pic (that’s an LJ top as well).

I have a homemade lift in my garage that uses a cable through a pulley on ceiling to a boat winch. I use straps to attach mine also. I didn’t like how tight they binded the rear seal so I wrapped that section of strap in pipe insulation for cushioning. I also had some insulation as padding where the straps went around the door opening corners. You can sort of see the front section in pic (that’s an LJ top as well)

View attachment 311814
An orange LJ!
Show another pic!

This is a great thread - I've been looking for something like this since I got a hardtop leading into the Pennsylvania winter (SEPA checking in), and I love the idea of repurposing an old swingset. Already looking on FB Marketplace for one!

I don't have the ability to hang my top from the ceiling in my garage - it's a low-ceilinged garage so the TJ doesn't fit. My question is: For those that build these hoists outside, are you leaving them outside for the season, or hoisting the top off the Jeep and then moving them indoors? And if so, how do you make the hoist mobile? Wheels on the bottom?

I use ratchet straps, one on each corner. It's a bit cumbersome ratcheting one strap, then moving to the next...etc. But, I have 4 eye bolts in the ceiling of the garage just for that. I suppose it'd be quicker/easier with a crank (like the Harken system), but the ratchet straps work and they were less than $15 at Harbor Freight.

Just gotta watch out so you don't stand up too quick when you're underneath the edge - you'll only do that once....ONCE. Rang my bell pretty good.

BTW: the TJ top is lighter and easier to remove than my YJ top was, that's for sure

I installed an electric garage hoist for my hard top. It worked great until the day the top took a sudden vicious turn when it cleared the cage. The hard top's bottom corner adjacent to the window opening popped me good on my eye and gave me a really BAD black eye. That wouldn't have been so bad but the next day I showed up for my first day at a new job at an organization that was 99.9% women and I had to give a 30 minute planning presentation to them that first morning. I looked like a thug, I was not quite sure they believed my humorous explanation how I got my very obvious black eye lol.