Single DIN touch screen

Hmmmm...How do you like it? I think the Joying fits the space better. This kinda blocks the vents and controls

I actually like it, I'm not one that likes the air vents blowing directly on me, so I typically have them blowing upwards a little anyway. and I know where the controls are so I don't have to be able to see them all to know what it's set on. If I had to do it again I'd probably do a 7" screen, but overall I really like it.

Reactions: Carve
I ordered directly from them. I know they also used to have one that did not run Android Auto or CarPlay that was cheaper, but I couldn't find a current Amazon listing to compare it to, but when I had an issue with trying to order from Amazon I reached out to Joying and they recommended ordering directly from them. The other plus was that the Amazon units had the Joying logo on them, and the ones ordered direct did not, which is a lot cleaner IMO.

I went single DIN chassis with a floating screen from Joying. The 8.8” widescreen fits the TJ dash perfectly, and the CarPlay implementation works well.

View attachment 250743
View attachment 250744

This looks super nice!

Are your thoughts on the unit still positive?

My Jeep came with a single din stereo installed, so maybe I can reuse that adapter kit.

Any issues with the following items:
- apply car play?
- sound quality?
- rca outputs for amp (F/R/Sub)?
- backup camera?
- Glitchy or freezing up issues?

Thanks for your input on this. I'm very interested in purchasing one of these units since i need a deck with F/R/Subwoofer outputs for a system I'll be installing soon.

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to Android stuff, but can the Joying unit run the torque app?

Ya, it'll run most Android applications including torque. If you bought torque for your phone or anything else you don't have to buy it again.
I haven't, I'm 100% apple and don't have a BT/wifi OBDII dongle anyway, but threads like this get me closer to that point.

I have the head unit shown in the first post for about a year. These things are not any current version of Android. As best as I can tell, mine is Android 6, which I think was the last official build for a tablet.

Mine is too slow to run most apps, too slow to pull data from my phone as a hotspot. Google Maps and YouTube Music is useless.

The radio works well and it connects to my phone via Bluetooth for music. And the physical button layout is easy to use. That reason only is why I like it better than my previous Kenwood tiny cluttered buttons head unit.

The deck from the original post is based on the 8227L processor which is pretty slow by modern standards and overheats pretty easily like I've mentioned before. They all run Android 8.1 although some say 9.0, that's fake. For maps I use OSMAnd, it's totally offline and works great. You can download the entire state and it has trails as well. I have all my favorite trails as GPX files on an sdcard. Mine also can pull data just fine although I don't do it. Older versions of google maps work but the new ones suck, I don't really blame the deck, the new software is terrible. Torque works fine, so do several other programs that interface with OBD like InCarDoc. You can update the firmware but if you don't know what you're doing you'll really screw things up. The firmware and most information is on a Russian site so be warned, most Americans aren't too creative when it comes to hacking these days.

This looks super nice!

Are your thoughts on the unit still positive?

My Jeep came with a single din stereo installed, so maybe I can reuse that adapter kit.

Any issues with the following items:
- apply car play?
- sound quality?
- rca outputs for amp (F/R/Sub)?
- backup camera?
- Glitchy or freezing up issues?

Thanks for your input on this. I'm very interested in purchasing one of these units since i need a deck with F/R/Subwoofer outputs for a system I'll be installing soon.
I sold the Jeep this summer, but I would definitely buy again if I needed a HU in a TJ or XJ. I really liked the wide-screen form factor and I couldn't have been happier with how it fit with the factory dash features. I'm only sticking with the factory unit in my JL because of the overall integration it has with the vehicle. Build quality was really quite good and there were just some minor custom tweaks that were required to get the unit exactly where I wanted it.

Wired CarPlay was seamless. Wireless would occasionally have a very small lag when jumping track forward or back, and connectivity was definitely slower. Only glitch I came across was it would occasionally run CarPlay with no sound output. All I would have to do was pull up the multi-tasking and select the CarPlay emulator again and sound would start immediately... This would occur maybe one in 10 times I used it. But it was very easy to get it going again that I never spent any time to figure out how to fix it.

Sound quality was great. I used the unit's amp and Kicker CS speakers F&R (with Select Increments Dash Pods up front) and the factory center console sub and never felt a need to upgrade to an external amp.

IIRC there were RCA outs and a back-up camera input. I never utilized them, though. I had a back-up camera but never got around to installing it before selling it.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: MikeE024
This looks so great I just pick up one for my TJ. Thank you. I was not able to get it flush against the dash though. Is yours flush? Looks like it. How did you manage that?

I trimmed the four nubs that are part of the HU chassis that prevent it from sliding back further into the metal insert from Joying. I mounted the metal insert to the Scosche single-DIN adapter, and then I slid it back as far as I wanted into the insert. I just used some tape on the top of the unit to secure it to the metal insert in the right place and then installed everything into the Jeep. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Amazingly some of these units (Xtron for example) are available in the UK (where Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge sales are small so nobody bothers selling stuff usually). But I see they all say 'wrangler 2003-6’. What’s different with a 2001 that means they won’t work?

I trimmed the four nubs that are part of the HU chassis that prevent it from sliding back further into the metal insert from Joying. I mounted the metal insert to the Scosche single-DIN adapter, and then I slid it back as far as I wanted into the insert. I just used some tape on the top of the unit to secure it to the metal insert in the right place and then installed everything into the Jeep. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Wow! Lightning fast reply. Thank you so much. Not sure what nubs you are referring to but I'll take a look now and figure it out with your great input. No worries, my 98 TJ is full of my non-elegant solutions. In fact I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the term elegant in the same sentence as TJ.

Wow! Lightning fast reply. Thank you so much. Not sure what nubs you are referring to but I'll take a look now and figure it out with your great input. No worries, my 98 TJ is full of my non-elegant solutions. In fact I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the term elegant in the same sentence as TJ.

Here’s a pic from their site showing the nubs.

75B285B8-0646-474C-8B8A-422914824D62.jpeg

And here’s a shot of mine after they were trimmed.

BD377DA5-DAF1-40BD-A14D-9727F399D61D.jpeg

Those prevent the HU from sliding back. Once you cut them you need to secure the HU or it will slide in and out.

Here’s a pic from their site showing the nubs.

View attachment 370115

And here’s a shot of mine after they were trimmed.

View attachment 370116

Those prevent the HU from sliding back. Once you cut them you need to secure the HU or it will slide in and out.

Thanks again for taking the time to send all of this. Very helpful. I'll try bending them first in case I need to bend them back for whatever reason. Next step will be getting one of those remotes. Really missing a physical volume knob on this thing. Other than that it fits the TJ like a glove (minus nubs). Cheers from tacky yet sunny Miami.

Thanks again for taking the time to send all of this. Very helpful. I'll try bending them first in case I need to bend them back for whatever reason. Next step will be getting one of those remotes. Really missing a physical volume knob on this thing. Other than that it fits the TJ like a glove (minus nubs). Cheers from tacky yet sunny Miami.

FWIW, I've been happy with this for controlling volume. The receiver wires into your existing wiring. I had two total (one on my steering wheel and one on the front of my center console near where my hand rests). I'm not currently running one on my steering wheel. You only need to wire one receiver in for multiple controllers. I had another controller with a knob that spun but it felt cheaper and was more difficult to control while driving.

Edit: I don't use the rubber sleeve or the other controller that's for making calls.