Skid plates & armor: When to use steel and when to use aluminum?

Yes, it’s a bit pricey. The problem I have with the tailgate ones is the off center mount. I cut my factory mount down so it didn’t stick out so far and then shifted it over to where you could just work the latch but it was still off center and that bugged the crap out of me.

Yes, that's unfortunate. If I remember correctly, when @jscherb designed the Exogate he had done so with the option to center the spare. It's too bad that option did not make it into the production versions.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I've never owned a piece of aluminum armor, so I know almost nothing about it.
Can someone explain why aluminum works great for transfer case skids and tube fenders, but not for rocker sliders. The way I have seen some of you guys wheel, I feel like you use your aluminum tube fenders as "hood sliders".
For me the best answer I can give is that steel performs better in this application. there are combinations of steel and aluminum like the Savvy that give you the strength, some weight savings, and the performance of steel where it counts. Me, I have a 20 year old design that still performs well albeit heavy.

Reactions: kmas0n
I've never owned a piece of aluminum armor, so I know almost nothing about it.
Can someone explain why aluminum works great for transfer case skids and tube fenders, but not for rocker sliders. The way I have seen some of you guys wheel, I feel like you use your aluminum tube fenders as "hood sliders".
The difference is the radius. Belly skids have an "infinite" radius since they are flat for the most part. It is also very hard to concentrate loads other than the weight of the rig on the belly skid and even then it is very rare to get the whole weight of the rig on a loaded point since that would require all 4 wheels to be off the ground. Possible, not probable.

If you change the radius to be smaller, that increases the point load at the apex or can and that gets compounded by the fact that very often we put the rock rail against something and pivot around it. Now you have those forces added to the weight of the rig and the point load gets high enough that gouging without sliding is very prevalent and the material also bends.

Essentially we are dealing with the same issue steel angle rock sliders have. The sharp 90 degree corner lets the rocks dig into it because the point loading overcomes the material properties in that ultra tight radius and it peels up and the rock stops forward motion.

You are also very accurate on the hood slider thing. There are places in JV where continued forward progress will smoosh or dislocate the flare on an aluminum fender to be flush with the side of the body and I know for a factory that the company will not warranty that type of damage.

Agreed, I’ve looked at this on a similar design I was working on that utilized car door strikers and latches but it was too complicated for something this simple. Mine is not difficult to latch but it does require lifting up an inch to get it in the brackets.
And if you adjust the bushing mounts so the 1" goes away and change tire size or weight, you get to do it again. I despise mounting those damn things.

And if you adjust the bushing mounts so the 1" goes away and change tire size or weight, you get to do it again. I despise mounting those damn things.
I’ve only had to do that twice, the first time I mounted it, and on a trail when I gave up my grade 8 bolts to repair a high steer arm that sheared the hardware. I use some crescent bushing that I made in the slotted holes on the hinge side, the top one is on the inside of the bolt in the slot the bottom one is on the outside and the washer traps it in place. I thought about using eccentric bolts to make it easier to adjust.

Last edited:
Yes, that's unfortunate. If I remember correctly, when @jscherb designed the Exogate he had done so with the option to center the spare. It's too bad that option did not make it into the production versions.
I think the problem is when you center a 35” tire and move it high enough to clear the latch, it puts so much weight up high if you shut the gate too hard you bend your tailgate.

Most people fail to realize the overall importance of keeping weight down. Several years ago I went on a quest to lighten my Jeep. Through a combination replaced parts and useless items removed, I shaved around 500 lbs off my LJ. The results were crystal clear. Acceleration, handling, breaking and offroad climbing improved noticeably. I know this for sure, because I had a solid baseline to test from. That is, I wheel, largely, in the same park, taking the same obstacles repeatedly. One steep stairstep climb in particular always gave me problems. Sometimes I would make it up, after repeated attempts, and sometimes I'd have to back off.

After the diet, in similar wet conditions, I was able to climb the exact same obstacle, along with others, almost effortlessly. I noticed no ill effects whatsoever of removing full steel belly skids and replacing them with aluminum. Point being, there's already plenty of weight down low. The only caveat to this might be if you wheeled with top heavy loaded Jeeps, but that's a different problem.

Bottom line, every bit of weight saved truly matters in the big picture. Once you make the jump to aluminum you won't go back. I was so pleased with the results I even replaced my steel car trailer with an aluminum one.
I’m in the process of this very thing. Replacing front fenders, rear corners and fenders, belly and engine skids all with Aluminum. I did go with new steel rockers over the same aluminum version but I really like to use my rockers to pivot sometimes. My Jeep was an absolute pig when I had it weighed. I knew with the larger axles, atlas 4 speed, beadlock wheels etc it would be heavier but I was ashamed when I saw it 4900#. And I too want an alumi-lite car hauler one day. When my trailer was stolen last year I thought about it. But couldn’t justify the cost. The one I wanted would have been double the cost of the new 20’ dovetail I got and it wouldn’t have handled the loads this one does.

Reactions: Irun