Skid plates & armor: When to use steel and when to use aluminum?

these are the 3/8" 6061 aluminum blanks i made for corner protectors on a bumper;).

notice no distortion at all from bending b4 it snapped, and believe me it was a loud pop under several tons of force and the wrong bending blade.
i've since made a nice fat round blade but need a press of about 20t to do it. and still do not know if i can make it work.

there is an art to bending 6061 aluminum. unless you know what your doing it's SNAP, CRACK or POP just like the cereal.

View attachment 149082

View attachment 149083

and this is compounded by not having enough starting material and working against the grain as well.
You were bending with the grain, not across it. Bend across it and that slows down a bunch.

Reactions: someguysjeep
You were bending with the grain, not across it. Bend across it and that slows down a bunch.
yep worded that all backwards and, made an edit , good call . i got tons of chunks but nothin big enough to get the blank grained the other way.

I have plenty if you would like some.
appreciate the offer, i do have a 4x4 sheet i been reluctant to start cannibalizing until i find no other use for it.
until i purchased the UA, that was the materials primary intended use.

All of this engineering jargon is good stuff and I enjoy learning the differences between steel and aluminum.

But there comes a time when economics play a role in the decision making process.

Do the lighter aluminum parts tend to cost quite a bit more than their steel counterparts?

Does the additional cost of saving weight mean that someone who likes to take their Jeep out once a month and hit some trails can’t just save a few bucks and still have just as much fun with mass-produced steel parts and get the same level of protection? (while having a slightly heavier rig)

I’m genuinely curious. Clearly, high end, lightweight parts are the best way to go if your budget allows. But does the average person need them to accomplish their goals?

All of this engineering jargon is good stuff and I enjoy learning the differences between steel and aluminum.

But there comes a time when economics play a role in the decision making process.

Do the lighter aluminum parts tend to cost quite a bit more than their steel counterparts?

Does the additional cost of saving weight mean that someone who likes to take their Jeep out once a month and hit some trails can’t just save a few bucks and still have just as much fun with mass-produced steel parts and get the same level of protection? (while having a slightly heavier rig)

I’m genuinely curious. Clearly, high end, lightweight parts are the best way to go if your budget allows. But does the average person need them to accomplish their goals?
If you can do the same slightly heavier, why not go have fun?

yep worded that all backwards and, made an edit , good call . i got tons of chunks but nothin big enough to get the blank grained the other way.
I’ve got some 3/8” x 7” x 9” 6019 plates with the grain running lengthwise if you need some.

0C4379CB-ABFE-4B0A-A5A0-AE85A9810DDF.jpeg
B6C3995C-424F-4822-B17F-FCA1E3439EA3.jpeg

Steel adds up fast. My front fenders together are 60+ lbs, aluminum genright fenders are somewhere around 18 lbs together if I remember.

I've got savvy aluminum underneath for armor. They are holding up well in the rocks and incredibly lightweight

20200329_140618.jpg

20191219_131104.jpg

Having owned both, the Savvy bumper is not just a little lighter than a steel bumper of a similar size, it's dramatically lighter. I was able to lift the Savvy bumper with ease using a single finger. That's not even remotely possible with a steel bumper.

The weight savings are no joke, they are indeed dramatic.
You must have one strong finger. I know I just pulled off my Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper w/ tire carrier and it weighted a fricking ton. Now my new Savvy rear bumper is much lighter and I CAN pick it with one hand but sure if can with one finger :) Right now it's sitting in the garage waiting for everything to come back so I can get it powder coated.

You must have one strong finger. I know I just pulled off my Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper w/ tire carrier and it weighted a fricking ton. Now my new Savvy rear bumper is much lighter and I CAN pick it with one hand but sure if can with one finger :) Right now it's sitting in the garage waiting for everything to come back so I can get it powder coated.
The rear weighs more. Most can easily pick up the front with one finger.

which way did you end up going for a tire carrier?

speaking of tire carriers.
whats that carrier in your avatar? i run a similar low profile bumper and am not putting anything larger back on to support a wheel, so i may go that route. any complaints about it?

speaking of tire carriers.
whats that carrier in your avatar? i run a similar low profile bumper and am not putting anything larger back on to support a wheel, so i may go that route. any complaints about it?
It's a GenRight swingout, I'm happy with it, I should have run aluminum corners with it to protect the tub more.

I ended up going with the MORryde. I still really like the Genright vest but for $1,200.00 + new tail lights it was going to be more like $1,500.00. If I can ever find a GR on Craigslist or someplace I may change but for now it's working.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I ended up going with the MORryde. I still really like the Genright vest but for $1,200.00 + new tail lights it was going to be more like $1,500.00. If I can ever find a GR on Craigslist or someplace I may change but for now it's working.
Yes, it’s a bit pricey. The problem I have with the tailgate ones is the off center mount. I cut my factory mount down so it didn’t stick out so far and then shifted it over to where you could just work the latch but it was still off center and that bugged the crap out of me.

for as large as that GR appears, it says it's like 25# IIFC. i kinda almost like the drop down version too. the older i get the heavier those big tires get. the tag is not cheap for either. but the way the rear ends up after mods will dictate what's able to be used.

found a PS version (750$ ish) of a drop down but, couldn't find a weight. but it's construction eludes it's likely close to +20# vs the GR aluminum.

Reactions: JDM and DrDmoney
for as large as that GR appears, it says it's like 25# IIFC. i kinda almost like the drop down version too. the older i get the heavier those big tires get. the tag is not cheap for either. but the way the rear ends up after mods will dictate what's able to be used.

found a PS version (750$ ish) of a drop down but, couldn't find a weight. but it's construction eludes it's likely close to +20# vs the GR aluminum.
I was thinking the same thing when i first looked at changing my tire mount, if you look at where my rear lights are mounted that bumper plate is for the drop down version, i just know i would be having to step over or on it every time i needed something out of the back. kinda like the drop down tailgate problems, cool just not practical.