Skid Question

FTI76

Brian Flad
Supporting Member
I currently don't have any Skid protection.

I am planning on doing a tummy tuck at some point but the earliest would be next May\June.

I am considering going with the Metal Cloak Oil Pan and Gas Tank Skids for starters.

1. If I go this route can I retain both of those when I go for the Tummy Tuck or will they potentially interfere?
2. I know the skid you don't have is the one you need\should buy but are the above the best starting point?

Those skids will work fine with any belly up skid plate. However, the Metalcloak fuel tank skid does not provide any additional clearance (at least it doesn’t say it does), whereas my Rokmen fuel tank skid for instance gains any additional 1.5” of clerance, it’s also a bit cheaper than the Metalcloak one as well.

Those skids will work fine with any belly up skid plate. However, the Metalcloak fuel tank skid does not provide any additional clearance (at least it doesn’t say it does), whereas my Rokmen fuel tank skid for instance gains any additional 1.5” of clerance, it’s also a bit cheaper than the Metalcloak one as well.

Nice @Chris I will look into that one!

Reactions: Chris
Dont forget Savvy Under Armor and/or GTS. Theirs also raises up an inch or so when used with a body lift.

Those skids will work fine with any belly up skid plate. However, the Metalcloak fuel tank skid does not provide any additional clearance (at least it doesn’t say it whereas my Rokmen fuel tank skid for instance gains any additional 1.5” of clerance, it’s also a bit cheaper than the Metalcloak one as well.

The Rokman only provides that additional clearance if you run a body lift. That’s kind of an important part to consider. :)

For the oil pan skid, have you considered Skid Row? It’s the one that I use, and the benefit is that is also protects the transmission pan.

http://www.skidrowoffroad.com/produ...03-2006-or-lj-unlimited-6-cylinder-2004-2006/

Last edited:
The Rokman only provides that additional clearance if you run a body lift. That’s kind of an important part to consider. :)

Very true! But when he had mentioned doing a tummy tuck in the original post, I just sort of assumed he had planned on doing a body lift. I suppose you can do a tummy tuck without a body lift, but it's much more difficult from what I understand.

I'd get an engine/tranny skid on there asap, pretty important; not sure on the MC but the UCF version will work with your stock tc and its tummy tuck tc skid so you don't have to get them both at the same time. I've got their aluminum one on there bolted to the stock tc skid & not only is that thing bomb proof it also provides a really nice segue onto the tc skid whereas without it the stock skid can act as a scoop and/or catch & stop you on a rock or stump. It's light as a feather too, well a 16lb feather anyway

Oi-tranny Skid.jpg

Reactions: JMT and FTI76
A kid in my club has the skidrowoffroad engine\transmission skid that he had to remove when he went to long arms.

He's gonna sell it to me for $150, that will be a good\cheap solution until I am ready to commit to a full TT.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Me too, this was a cheap budget move. I’m not ready to dump any real big money into the TJ right now but having that oil pan exposed on the rocks is no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tell me about it. My oil pan looks like it was hit with a sledgehammer about 3 times. A little sad, but no leak, so I’m glad. UCF deep skid system will solve that, but not without the big $$$$, probably $1500-1600 to do it right.

Always loved your Jeep. Nice work and great goals

Reactions: FTI76
Tell me about it. My oil pan looks like it was hit with a sledgehammer about 3 times. A little sad, but no leak, so I’m glad. UCF deep skid system will solve that, but not without the big $$$$, probably $1500-1600 to do it right.

Always loved your Jeep. Nice work and great goals

Haha for sure. UCF is definitely the way I would go when the time comes. The next move is a gas tank skid and then I am just gonna wheel it as is for a while and enjoy it instead of obsessing about more upgrades. I feel like a lot of people upgrade way past their skill level as a driver on the trails. I want to max out what I have. When the rig is the bottle neck and not the driver is when I’ll consider bigger upgrades. Have a great weekend!

Haha for sure. UCF is definitely the way I would go when the time comes. The next move is a gas tank skid and then I am just gonna wheel it as is for a while and enjoy it instead of obsessing about more upgrades. I feel like a lot of people upgrade way past their skill level as a driver on the trails. I want to max out what I have. When the rig is the bottle neck and not the driver is when I’ll consider bigger upgrades. Have a great weekend!

Good thinking! Wheelin’ is an art in several respects, my weak spot is paying attention at all times. Get a little lax, get a little bruise. It can happen fast. Great weekend to you too, celebrating the 4th soon!

Reactions: FTI76
I'm torn between the Rokmen skid and the UCF no BL skid. Rokmen's skid will give me another inch of clearance, but at the same time, will also stuff the TC higher up. You know how touchy my TJ is with vibes.

Reactions: JMT and FTI76
Got the savvy Gas tank skid, big fan of it. It gets you about an inch more ground clearance without a body lift. But if you have one(or install one later) you can take advantage of it for another extra inch of clearance on top. Also the main body is aluminum so it's light.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I’m eyeing the Metal Cloak GTS. It’s a bit heavier than the Savvy but only around 46 lbs. It uses aluminum sides and steel plate for the bottom. That one also gains about an inch clearance over stock.