Smudge pot

lBasket

Branch Manager
Supporting Member
Does anyone use one of these? I just discovered their existence. Being able to heat outdoors using used motor oil seems like a pretty sweet deal.

I've had a few. Be VERY VERY careful not to let water get inside it or it can froth the oil right out of it in a firey lava river when it boils. Nice and hot but smokey and dangerous!

I've had a few. Be VERY VERY careful not to let water get inside it or it can froth the oil right out of it in a firey lava river when it boils. Nice and hot but smokey and dangerous!

That sounds scary lol. Are they really smoke free? Like even burning dirty oil?

That sounds scary lol. Are they really smoke free? Like even burning dirty oil?

Like pouring buckets of used engine oil in that have rainwater too.when the water boils it will send the oil frothing out the stack. If you aren't drunk and stupid it isn't a big deal. Just be aware!

Reactions: lBasket and P man
Does anyone use one of these? I just discovered their existence. Being able to heat outdoors using used motor oil seems like a pretty sweet deal.

One of my first jobs as a kid was lighting smudge pots in the SoCal citrus groves on cold nights. We got paid and could miss school the next morning. Of course, our noses were crusted with black crud from the clouds of oily smoke but we didn't care, we had money in our pockets.

The first restrictions on the use of smudge pots were enacted in California in 1950. They were banned in Southern California in the late 1950's, at about the same time that household incinerators were banned, and totally banned in California by the early 1970's.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: lBasket
One of my first jobs as a kid was lighting smudge pots in the SoCal citrus groves on cold nights. We got paid and could miss school the next morning. Of course, our noses were crusted with black crud from the clouds of oily smoke but we didn't care, we had money in our pockets.

Wikipedia says they burn smokeless once they get going, is it just the startup that has the bad smoke or are these gross the entire time they're burning?

Wikipedia says they burn smokeless once they get going, is it just the startup that has the bad smoke or are these gross the entire time they're burning?

There are "smokeless" smudge pots that burn natural gas. Those are nothing like the old style that burned a mixture of used motor oil, Ag diesel, etc.

1707497933138.png

Reactions: Rickyd and lBasket
There are "smokeless" smudge pots that burn natural gas. Those are nothing like the old style that burned a mixture of used motor oil, Ag diesel, etc.

View attachment 499231

Okay... I probably can't burn something that lets out acrid smoke in my neighborhood lol. That is probably out.

My friend had a lil wood stove outside by his carport and it was nice so I'm thinking along those lines and thought it would be nice to use oil as fuel. But probably too gross.

Okay... I probably can't burn something that lets out acrid smoke in my neighborhood lol. That is probably out.

My friend had a lil wood stove outside by his carport and it was nice so I'm thinking along those lines and thought it would be nice to use oil as fuel. But probably too gross.

If you watch the video I posted they discuss this.

I watched like 30seconds of it before I got bored. Dude talks at like 1/16 the speed I read it is painstaking trying to extract information out of videos

You can go discuss smudge pots with him when you are in Moab since he lives there. There's a lot of info in that vid.

• Haha
Mine is going right now. Make sure you get one with a recirculation pipe as they burn cleaner. Burning oil will give off smoke if air inlet is not adjusted right. If you burn diesel there is very little smoke. Outside use only. Lower photo shows smoke because there is a small amount of water in the bottom and its boiling off. Large amounts of water will be dangerous.

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

Last edited:
I have one and only burn off road diesel in it (the smoke is minimal), mine has a diffuser about 18 inches over the exhaust port that you can swing out of the way when you crank it wide open. It really puts out a lot heat even on the low setting, when you open it wide open it will shoot a flame out the top about 5 or 6 ft and is quite the conversation piece.

Reactions: Rickyd and lBasket
I have one and only burn off road diesel in it (the smoke is minimal), mine has a diffuser about 18 inches over the exhaust port that you can swing out of the way when you crank it wide open. It really puts out a lot heat even on the low setting, when you open it wide open it will shoot a flame out the top about 5 or 6 ft and is quite the conversation piece.

You just make it yourself or is it a thing you buy?

There are several nurseries and orchards about 60 miles or so from where I live, I purchased it from one of them. It looks alot like the one pictured above but has the diffuser above the exhaust and is taller. It was practically in new condition, we use it when we have groups of people over for outside gatherings and don't want to fire up the wood burning pit also on off-road trips. The exhaust will get cherry red when you crank it up.