Snatch straps / kinetic ropes: have you all got one?

Any recommendations on length? 20’ or 30’?
I carry both lengths. Can't always reach the stuck rig and stay on solid ground and 50' of kinetic helps. Soft shackles work great for connecting the kinetic straps to one another.
On the other hand I think if there is a 20 or 30' length of kinetic between two 'tow straps' you still gain the kinetic stretch advantage.

How much space does a kinetic rope (20ft or 30ft) take up behind the seat of a tj?
I think I could carry one back there, but I don’t know about two.
Or are they more compact and easy to stow than I’m imagining?

I've made a few 35' 3/4" kinetics. They are about 2' x 5" x 5" very roughly. You can wrap them however you want, very easy to store. I use second hand store duffel/travel bags to store them.

Ok well that’s not so bad. I’m just picturing them as unwieldy when rolled wrapped or coiled. Good to know that they’re easy to store.
How did you make a 35’er?

Kinetics are just double braid nylon mooring line. There is plenty of information floating around about how to make the end loops. It's not easy but at the same time not impossible. Like anything, it depends on how crafty you are. I buy shorts from rope.com or pieces from eBay normally around $1/foot. Count on six feet extra for the loops, more if you screw up. If you're serious I have some links I can dig up.

Kinetics are just double braid nylon mooring line. There is plenty of information floating around about how to make the end loops. It's not easy but at the same time not impossible. Like anything, it depends on how crafty you are. I buy shorts from rope.com or pieces from eBay normally around $1/foot. Count on six feet extra for the loops, more if you screw up. If you're serious I have some links I can dig up.

Tow strap and more ugga ugga and whoh pows

7/8" is pretty thick stuff for a TJ, I've done hard pulls on 3/4" and I think that's what you want. Kinetics are one thing where bigger isn't better at all, you want the stretch.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
7/8" is pretty thick stuff for a TJ, I've done hard pulls on 3/4" and I think that's what you want. Kinetics are one thing where bigger isn't better at all, you want the stretch.
Good point. Unless a big pickup is the victim, in which case another heavy rig would probably be the recovery vehicle.

Reactions: pagrey
I finally came to the same conclusion and realized that the Brand X vs Brand Y and what is "best" debates are silly. Is the bulk double braid nylon you have been buying coated to help prevent water absorption? Inner 16 or 24 strand?