Soft shackles—proper use and fitting up

The new Badland recovery stuff isn't bad. I have a Rhino strap and it's really nice. I have an old yellow HF Haul-Mater strap which is garbage but the new Badland stuff is not like that at all, very similar to Rhino. If anything HF stuff is a bit overpriced now but I don't think the quality lacks on the stuff.

Reactions: matkal
I've noticed that Harbor Freight has really been trying to up their game on most things quality-wise in the past couple years. At the same time, prices have gone up dramatically, they rarely do the 20% off everything coupons, and their warranty term (usually 90 days) has not improved. That last one is surprising, as a 90 day warranty on things like toolboxes seems woefully short. If you're trying to change your image, you need to stand behind the changes...

I’ve read this whole thread twice. Nowhere do I see where it talks about the OP, soft shackle proper use and fit.

How about a “how to” properly use a soft shackle. I have to admit these things make me nervous. I’ve always used quality US made “D” rings, oversized and no chance of failure.

Please. Best instructional video? How to ?

Thanks

I’ve read this whole thread twice. Nowhere do I see where it talks about the OP, soft shackle proper use and fit.

How about a “how to” properly use a soft shackle. I have to admit these things make me nervous. I’ve always used quality US made “D” rings, oversized and no chance of failure.

Thanks

Pretty basic. If it goes in, on, or around anything with a sharp edge, don't do that. Other than that, they are stronger than the winch line by typically more than enough that under normal conditions, the line will break first.

Reactions: Blackjack
All this yapping about soft shackles and synthetic rope... and no one mentions our own Black Magic Brakes and Wizard Recovery Gear? https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/categories/wizard-recovery-gear
Seriously great products and @mrblaine is definitely one of the most helpful and trustworthy contributors to this site!
I love my neon colored rope and shackles! I never lose track of them ;)

All this yapping about soft shackles and synthetic rope... and no one mentions our own Black Magic Brakes and Wizard Recovery Gear? https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/categories/wizard-recovery-gear
Seriously great products and @mrblaine is definitely one of the most helpful and trustworthy contributors to this site!

My interest started after receiving my latest order of WRG. High quality stuff that I’ve no experience with.

Reactions: John Cooper

This isn't about a brand, this is and should be about learning to try and understand what one doesn't know and should strive towards learning. Opening it up to brand discussion is a door that shouldn't be opened in this type of discussion which is and should be primarily about safety. I do appreciate the thought though.

This isn't about a brand, this is and should be about learning to try and understand what one doesn't know and should strive towards learning. Opening it up to brand discussion is a door that shouldn't be opened in this type of discussion which is and should be primarily about safety. I do appreciate the thought though.

Understand, and don't underestimate your contributions to this site!
It's hard to sort out fact from fiction on these sites, it's important that those with experience and expertise be acknowledged. I know I'd be in a world of hurt if I wasn't able to discern who to learn from here

I have soft shackles in my recovery gear bag. But I have never had a situation where I thought it was the best tool for the job.

I know they have their place somewhere, but why would you pick a soft shackle over a D ring?

I have soft shackles in my recovery gear bag. But I have never had a situation where I thought it was the best tool for the job.

I know they have their place somewhere, but why would you pick a soft shackle over a D ring?
For one they reduce mass flying through the air if there is a failure.

Reactions: CMBD

Thanks

Here are a couple things.

1709971164452.png

Ronny Dahl has an ok vid comparing steel to synthetic although I am not currently a fan of winch donuts which he mentions.

Exactly

Rig is flopped. There is 30 ways to attach to the roll bar at the top to flip it back onto the tires. There are none faster and easier than a soft shackle.
Sketchy bumper tabs. Very fast and easy to toss a soft shackle around an axle tube.
Bumpers with soft shackle specific recovery points on top.
My Safety Thimble on the winch line. Always better to use a soft shackle.
Receiver hitch and no connection point but the pin, slide the shackle in, run the pin through it, pull away.
You can thread them through holes and windows in wheels.
You can wrap them around stuff like little slings.
Only limited by your imagination.