Soft shackles—proper use and fitting up

I was under the impression the top scenario was not a good practice and could lead to the loop slipping over the knot.

How would such a thing happen while the loop is under tension?

How would such a thing happen while the loop is under tension?

If it has a higher chance of failure than option 2, why do it? When used with a snatch strap, I'm not confident the average user is ensuring the loop is snug before load is applied.

If it has a higher chance of failure than option 2, why do it? When used with a snatch strap, I'm not confident the average user is ensuring the loop is snug before load is applied.

Have you used them much? You are basically saying that folks will try to use a bow shackle, anchor shackle, or D ring without making sure the pin is in place correctly. That just isn't how they or it works at all.

They are very intuitive to use and if you struggle with using them in the least, the very last thing you want to be doing is any rigging or winch use whatsoever for a vehicle recovery.

Reactions: Blackjack

If it makes one feel better, then do it.

The reality is that the loop snugs itself the moment a load is applied to it. And the further reality is that the loop doesn't open up and spread apart over the the knot while there is a load applied to the soft shackle.

Here are a couple things.

View attachment 507891

Ronny Dahl has an ok vid comparing steel to synthetic although I am not currently a fan of winch donuts which he mentions.
Do they have any reasonable numbers showing what the reduction in strength is for the various methods of use? I suspect that while it may be there, it will still break at much higher loads than a winch can create.

I wouldn't consider it much. I would say less than 25 times a year in average. I will admit I have rigged them all 3 ways at some point and not had a failure.

If you have used one 3 times, then none of your questions make any sense. You know how intuitive they are and how you would have to intentionally work at contriving a scenario where the loop won't stay under the knot.

Do they have any reasonable numbers showing what the reduction in strength is for the various methods of use? I suspect that while it may be there, it will still break at much higher loads than a winch can create.

A while back there was an argument about what type a knot should be used where one type was stronger than another. The rebuttal was exactly this, that the failure load of the weaker knot in this argument was still much higher than the load created by the winch and the winch rope being used.

Reactions: Blackjack
If you have used one 3 times, then none of your questions make any sense. You know how intuitive they are and how you would have to intentionally work at contriving a scenario where the loop won't stay under the knot.

There are numerous things I have done over the years without issues only to find out later that some are better than others.

A while back there was an argument about what type a knot should be used where one type was stronger than another. The rebuttal was exactly this, that the failure load of the weaker knot in this argument was still much higher than the load created by the winch and the winch rope being used.

Let's not overlook the obvious. If you are in a scenario where you are suspect that the tug on the rope you are about to deliver is going to be close to a problem, not a big deal to double up the soft shackles, which is a good reason to also have more than a couple of the same size.

If you wanted to carry a bow shackle or two in case another vehicle didn't have a recovery point suitable for a soft shackle what size(s) would you carry? A 1/2" and a 3/4"

If you wanted to carry a bow shackle or two in case another vehicle didn't have a recovery point suitable for a soft shackle what size(s) would you carry? A 1/2" and a 3/4"

I'd carry a single Crosby Alloy screw pin in 3/4". Has about 14,000 lbs. WLL with double that for a proof load and a design factor of around 60,000 lbs. breaking if I'm reading the specs correctly.

If possible, try and select the Alloy grade given a choice.