Solar Backup Camera

Dave Kerr

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone tried the solar backup camera that mounts on the license plate? It works on WIFI to their phone app or they sell phone size monitors.
I'm looking at a company named Type S.

Type S Camera.jpg

It would be simple to wire to the license plate or bumper. Whose camera, mirror, & monitor would you recommend?
I'm not going with a video screen audio system. BT to my head unit is plenty. I'm thinking a small cellular tablet will do backup camera, navigation, stream audio and go with me when I leave the Jeep. I can connect my phone and a tablet to my Alpine head unit.

Double din touch screen stereo to a 30$ backup camera frame. Every time i put my truck in reverse the camera turns on. Anything else is more expensive or rediculous screens and tablets to juggle.

If i thought my jeep needed one that how I'd do it.

Reactions: MikeE024
Has anyone tried the solar backup camera that mounts on the license plate? It works on WIFI to their phone app or they sell phone size monitors.
I'm looking at a company named Type S.

View attachment 522058

1714194546600.jpeg

I got that exact same back up camera system as a Christmas gift a couple years back with their included monitor (see above).

I like it. Powering it and connecting the camera to monitor was a breeze. You can change the zoom, the camera’s vertical position, and the back up lines.

I also like the fact that you can turn it on at any time with just a wave of the hand. It has helped me in the past, to see what’s behind me offroad

I will say that every 4 to 6 months it does run out of charge and I just plug it in overnight. I do however, live in gloomy Seattle, so that may be part of it.

I’ve since swapped it between four cars, and it’s been an easy transition every time.

View attachment 522155

I got that exact same back up camera system as a Christmas gift a couple years back with their included monitor (see above).

I like it. Powering it and connecting the camera to monitor was a breeze. You can change the zoom, the camera’s vertical position, and the back up lines.

I also like the fact that you can turn it on at any time with just a wave of the hand. It has helped me in the past, to see what’s behind me offroad

I will say that every 4 to 6 months it does run out of charge and I just plug it in overnight. I do however, live in gloomy Seattle, so that may be part of it.

I’ve since swapped it between four cars, and it’s been an easy transition every time.

Thanks for the reply. I have my spare on the tailgate and wasn't thrilled about wiring to it. If you could, please post an image from it? My license plate is at the left corner still.

Cell phones? Sure. Smartphones? Hardly.

Because its all about the PHOOOOOONNE!!

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. There have been many times my "smartphone ", as well as my wife's and kids' have come in extremely handy in emergencies.