Soldering battery cable and why it is very bad

@mrblaine Do you have a tool that you like for battery cables? I have a few ranging from 4ga to 1/0ga.

I found this: https://ezred.com/product/3-point-crimper/

Also any recommendations on brands of lugs?
I have this one and like it. It’s not perfect but you can crimp on the cable lug in pretty tight spaces.

The two “teeth” on the tool are sharp and rip into the copper lugs. I ground mine down so they aren’t so sharp and pointy.

Reactions: toximus and Byhumba
It hasn't let me down yet. I've done a few battery terminals with it. They seem solid, but longevity isn't known (I've only had it for a year or so). I do know a good crimp will be just as good as a solder connection any day. And, as many bad solder connections as I've seen, a decent crimp is MUCH better than a bad solder. You gotta get the right tools though. I used to despise crimp connections...until I got the Klein crimp tool. After that, getting enough force on the crimp was easy. My old crimp pliers used to pull out with just a slight tug. The Klein's fixed that. Battery terminals (and other large gage connections) were never easy. Since I have a motorhome that needs some attention, I just decided to buy the tool. Last time I tried to upgrade battery terminals was on my wife's Mitsubishi Eclipse. I had a pretty powerful audio system in it and I needed to upgrade the "big three." I used a cold chisel to try and crimp the connections long enough to solder them...and I needed a propane torch to get enough heat in there. I didn't want to repeat that mess with the Jeep or my Motorhome, so I bought the hydraulic crimp tool.
Thank you. I also have the Klein crimper and really like it. I've been considering getting one for bigger cables, but don't need anything too expensive since I don't make them frequently enough.

i bought 1 like that amazon model in post 76, it works fine, does what it's supposed to. is this a tool you want to own? or i could send ya mine to use if it helps.
I truly appreciate the offer. I will probably just buy one. I have a portable 12V battery I'd like to take with me when camping and need to make a few cables (for a fridge and an inverter). I may need the crimper in the future for a solar panel or two as well. Thanks again.

Reactions: Blondie70
I once new a guy the swapped a cam in a chev 305 to fix an issue that could have easily been resolved by putting gas in the tank.
My father-in-law rebuilt the entire engine in his '72 Impala because when he washed the old engine, the double wall exhaust crossover pipe had the inner wall collapse. He didn't notice it when he had the engine out, so the new engine wouldn't start either. He finally gave up and called me. It took like 10 minutes to figure out his problem. Unbolted the pipes from the manifolds and it started right up.

Reactions: Vinman
@toximus - Greenlee has a bunch of styles for crimping tools, made in the USA as well.

https://www.greenlee.com/
Lugs have had a ton of debate in the car audio world, and a quality made copper lug is all you need. No need to pay up for silver or gold unless it's a personal preference.

I've always used a cheap set of crimpers for battery terminals and never had an issue. Crimp, braided sleeve and heat shrink.

I'm in the middle of a project that requires lots of crimping!

IMG_20220225_213247.jpg

Reactions: Byhumba and toximus
I've gone around the block on crimped vs soldered connections. I now crimp almost all of my wire connections. The key is to get the right crimps. I have a set of klein crimpers. They will crimp even cheap, crappy crimp terminals tight enough. The multi crimps (strippers, bare crimps, insulated crimps) don't work worth a damn. The other thing I've noticed with my cheap terminals is that the insulation just gets in the way. More times than not, I pull that plastic shit off the terminal before I crimp it. Even if I don't, I still use the non-insulated crimp side of the pliers...the insulated side just doesn't get them tight enough.

For 90% of my work, I grab the Kleins.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Crimping-and-Cutting-Tool-for-Connectors-1005SEN/100352095
I have a set of hydraulic crimpers for battery cables and other "big" stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811VYCQ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Then I have some specialty stuff, like panduit crimps and weatherpack crimps.
I have a version of that Amazon crimper. They work but they suck since the dies are all the wrong size.

In the electrical world we crimp a LOT of wires. Everything is designed around a foot pound setting that stops the user from over crimping the wires. Over crimping can actually be detrimental to a good connection that will last under a heavy load. All the crimp tools I’ve ever used were setup using dies to crimp a certain size wire at a certain setting.

When I got into Amateur Radio and started to build my own feedline cables they had specifications for a mechanical and soldered connection. The design intent was to cut down on db loss and help mitigate heat when transmitting.

I said all that to say that a properly crimped connection is electrically as strong as a soldered connection when the only concern is transmitting power to a load. If you size your wire properly or even oversize it a crimped connection is fine.

A soldered connection helps with micro voltages, sound quality, and preventing db loss. We haven’t used soldered connections in the electrical trade in decades. As best I recall it faded away in the late 60s, early 70s.

There is a time and a place for either method. Use them accordingly.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Small wires (like audio) are totally okay to solder. At NASA, they use a physical electronic bond (crimping) for everything they can. Solder tends to weaken over time and bend after metal fatigue - crimping is a longer lasting and safe alternative that is much less time consuming.
And the mail-spec requires the gold to be removed from the inside of the terminal before soldering… on those style connectors.

Lots of ham radio guys are engineers. One guy in the club worked for Beckman here in Southern CA and did a club presentation on this very subject. Beckman developed the first air bags for Ford back in the late 80's (I think) or early 90's. They were having a problem with actuation failures. The automotive world is already aware of the advantages of a crimped connectors over soldered due to the reasons Blaine already stated. What they found after crimping and cutting apart connections using diamond blades and a microscope is that the crimps were failing due to wrong tooling. The soldered connections were even worse. Once they determined the right crimp die for the right connector and all failures went away.

I solder circuit boards and crimp wire connections, including up to 14.4KV wire at work. But we also use the correct dies.

Tinned wire is still loose strands. If you end up with a wire encased in a blob of solder, you did it wrong.

View attachment 312562

https://www.assemblymag.com/articles/95618-options-for-tinning-wire
excerpt from above article:

Both the IPC-J-STD-001 Rev E section 5.1.3 and IPC/WHMA-A-620 Section 4.4. standards recommend that tinned wire not be used in crimp terminations, under screws (such as in terminal blocks) or when forming mesh splices. The reasoning behind these standards is that downward pressure from the crimp, screw or splice will break the solder joint. This, in turn, can leave an opening within the strands, which then become susceptible to vibration, loosening and corrosion. Untinned wire also provides a better gas tight joint.

I think you guys are talking about two similar, but different things. Many manufacturers of cable tin the individual strands. This can be referred to as tinned cable.
Some people have been taught to apply a thin coating of solder to the end of the cable, encasing all of the strands into one chunk of solder prior to crimping. This can also be referred to as tinned cable.
The first case is fine and will work well with proper crimping equipment and parts.
The second case is rarely, if ever, recommended and certainly not for crimped connections.

When I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (69-75) we had a bunch of equipment that used large Amphenol connectors, sometimes with 100 conductors. The back of the connector was covered with little solder cups. We had a special soldering machine, made by Pace (I even went to their soldering school) and used electrical tweezers to heat each cup in order to solder the wires in place. Try that on a ship, sometime! However, every one of those connectors had a large, clamp-style strain relief just behind the connector body. A large piece of hard rubber and armor braid went into that strain relief clamp along with the cable bundle. Never had a problem with soldered cables.
We also had some small boats on board that had problems. One of the enginemen came into the ET shop asking me how to solder battery cables. I got out some crimp-ons and the large crimping tool and fixed his cables. No more problems.