Someone hit my LJ today

First I'm surprised that a fancy new Cadillac with backup sensors (and cameras) wasn't giving him voice commands telling him within millimeters of how close he was to hitting your Jeep. Regardless, silver paint is hard to panel match, and silver metallic even more so. I'm of two opinions, have the corner repaired and the entire side of the Jeep painted, or have the corner repaired spot painted, and then buy corner protection plates and have them color matched silver metallic. But then I'm anal when it comes painting and always seem to be able to tell when a panel has been painted.

I've had several of our vehicles involved in minor accidents, and it's been my experience that body shops always put volume ahead of quality. Even when you tell them that you're in no rush and to take their time in order for it to be painted correctly. I've even had body shop managers look at me right in my eye and lie right to my face and tell me that the color matches when even a casual observation says it doesn't.

Last edited:
Well…OP could always use these and say he tried to fix it right…

I’d find junk yard OEM corners or if the Cadillac driver has insurance and does a claim, I’ve “theorized” that some insurance companies have aceess to parts places or certain junk yards that not everyone has access to.
I agree, as per my post #39

First I'm surprised that a fancy new Cadillac with backup sensors (and cameras) wasn't giving him voice commands telling him within millimeters of how close he was to hitting your Jeep. Regardless, silver paint is hard to panel match, and silver metallic even more so. I'm of two opinions, have the corner repaired and the entire side of the Jeep painted, or have the corner repaired spot painted, and then buy corner protection plates and have them color matched silver metallic. But then I'm anal when it comes painting and always seem to be able to tell when a panel has been painted.

I've had several of our vehicles involved in minor accidents, and it's been my experience that body shops always put volume ahead of quality. Even when you tell them that you're in no rush and to take their time in order for it to be painted correctly. I've even had body shop managers look at me right in my eye and lie right to my face and tell me that the color matches when even a casual observation says it doesn't.
On the 2017 GMC Canyon I had, it was a grey metallic... had to go back in for repaint 3 times because the GMC dealer couldn't match the paint... they apparently had like 5 variants of the color that year alone... finally they had to have a factory paint rep mix it to match it!

To some extent I agree with you. He was dazed for sure.
Yeah it's a tough thing. I worked in auto insurance (AARP) before getting into the IT field. What a disaster. I'd say elderly drivers are just as dangerous as teens texting. Many will hit things and not even notice/remember. I had a claim one time from a lady who backed into 8 cars in a Home Depot parking lot, then drove away. She had no idea she did it, even with video camera proof. There could've been kids in that parking lot.

My grandma drove until she was 84. She was an extremely independent WWII vet, but one day she hit a mailbox and didn't realize it. My mom took her keys. She was reluctant to give them up at first, but eventually agreed. The issue I saw on the insurance side was many of these elderly drivers were definitely unfit to drive, but family members couldn't/wouldn't get them to give up the keys, and in some states only a doctor can make that decision.

Luckily I don't see any major body creases, and it was definitely low impact at low speed. Time for some corner armor. :cool:

Well…OP could always use these and say he tried to fix it right…

I’d find junk yard OEM corners or if the Cadillac driver has insurance and does a claim, I’ve “theorized” that some insurance companies have aceess to parts places or certain junk yards that not everyone has access to.
Not really, but the pricing is definitely different. Many shops have deals with insurance companies where they get all of their work, so it's hard to get them to even look at a car for someone who is paying out of pocket, but there are plenty who do, you just need to find someone competent that doesn't just want the gravy work from the insurance company. Parts are all over the map. We have access to the same parts insurance companies do, and most insurance companies do lots of shady shit to use cheaper parts (used, aftermarket, etc).

and most insurance companies do lots of shady shit to use cheaper parts (used, aftermarket, etc).
I dont mind used parts, if they can be repainted and are OEM. Give me used auto body parts all day long vs any of the aftermarket auto body parts.

I cant stand how insurance compaines will use aftermarket parts to fix cars. I did a ton of research on insurance claims recently and it just makes me mad learning more and more. They make money hand over fist, and then cry when you want something fixed right that might cost them a little more.

Reactions: jeepguy03
I dont mind used parts, if they can be repainted and are OEM. Give me used auto body parts all day long vs any of the aftermarket auto body parts.

I cant stand how insurance compaines will use aftermarket parts to fix cars. I did a ton of research on insurance claims recently and it just makes me mad learning more and more. They make money hand over fist, and then cry when you want something fixed right that might cost them a little more.

They are in the business to make a profit. Helping you is co-incidental.

My brother got into a fender bender few years ago (not his fault, another car came and clipped him as it was turning left when he was stopped at a light) and still it absolutely felt like we were getting the short end of the stick when it came to repairs. Another friend had a very minor accident and his rates got jacked up so much for 3-4 years it was stupid.

Yup, it was a terrible business to work in. Lots of "well the customer isn't smart enough to read the policy and know anything about cars" going on with claims.

Yup, it was a terrible business to work in. Lots of "well the customer isn't smart enough to read the policy and know anything about cars" going on with claims.
I do agree here, most dont read their policy word for word and dont have any idea how they are covered.

To be fair, it can be tough waters to navigate unless you have time on your hands and are willing to be firm. I would argue, most people give up and just go-along for the insurance ride.