Sometimes working on your own vehicle isn't worth it

I set an alignment appointment yesterday. Asked if the shop could throw in my new brake pads and put the rear rotors on real quick since I'm lazy. They quoted me $400 just for the labor on that part alone. I guess they charge for liability. Also tried to tell me the brake pads were going to be a 3-4 hour job. Riiiiight....
That's ridiculous...

Reactions: ejay
Indeed. In addition to not being out the $400, you'd probably do a better job since its your own rig. Motivate yourself, young man.
It's not so much motivation. My wife is pissed at how much time I've spent away from her and the kids rebuilding the front end of that Excursion. So I thought I'd just have someone else do it since it's a simple job and shouldn't cost very much. Boy was I wrong.

Reactions: Woodrow
That's shit. Even at the MB dealer we only charged 1.0 for pads.
The only way that went up was for brake by wire (SBC) and that added .5 to deactivate the system.
Pads and rotors were 2.5. We didn't EVER turn rotors, but that doesn't add much on cars where you do

I just looked it up, front AND rear pads are 1.5 per Alldata
Tell them to quote it out of the book or get fucked

Reactions: WestCoastDan
That's shit. Even at the MB dealer we only charged 1.0 for pads.
The only way that went up was for brake by wire (SBC) and that added .5 to deactivate the system.
Pads and rotors were 2.5. We didn't EVER turn rotors, but that doesn't add much on cars where you do

I just looked it up, front AND rear pads are 1.5 per Alldata
Tell them to quote it out of the book or get fucked
I already told them I'll do it myself. Now I've got to stop by to see what they will charge me for alignment. I didn't even ask assuming it was going to be $150 max. Now I'm worried.

I set an alignment appointment yesterday. Asked if the shop could throw in my new brake pads and put the rear rotors on real quick since I'm lazy. They quoted me $400 just for the labor on that part alone. I guess they charge for liability. Also tried to tell me the brake pads were going to be a 3-4 hour job. Riiiiight....

Wow. If it was me, I'd walk. They obviously look for ways to screw you and hope you don't notice. Those kinds of shops are very good at parting you from your money, likely not so good at actually fixing cars.

I would have said "if it takes your guys 3-4 hours to change pads I don't want them anywhere near my car".

Reminds me of the shop my mom still uses despite my objections. If I lived closer I'd just do the work for her. They repaired brakes on her Tundra, twice. First they said a brake line failed due to rusty fittings or something, right as they were driving it OUT of their shop after service that included brake pads. Hmm, you didn't notice the issues with the lines? Then she was towing a camper, down a freaking mountain, and lost brakes. Thankfully has a brake controller for the camper and was able to get it stopped that way, eventually. Took it back, they said a brake line "let loose" at the caliper. Um, the ones you JUST FUCKING WORKED ON!?!?!

She still goes to them, because "they stand behind their work". I said yeah, much safer than standing in front of it.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Zorba and ejay
3-4 hours to change pads has got to be the time you should expect to leave your car and/or wait; and it would also include the time it actually takes to get the parts.
It simply cannot be the amount of chargeable labor; that would be ridiculous.

Reactions: ejay