Sometimes you don't get what you think you're getting

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
[Rant/On]I ordered a pair of replacement "Heavy-Duty" switches from Amazon for my lockers 9/18 to replace the lighted switches I installed nearly ten years ago. This is the replacement switch I bought... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BNGTS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I replaced both lockers switches 9/18 with that one out of an abundance of caution. That backfired on me. My constant worry was the original locker switches I installed had a lot of plastic content. Even the toggles were plastic and that nagged me ever since I installed them. So I replaced them with the above "Heavy-Duty" switches, I was much relieved after doing so and figured they were two less things to worry about.

Yesterday I'm heading out for a pretty tough rock crawling trail that requires both F&R lockers. I tested both before leaving my house and they worked fine. Then early on the trail the front locker stops working. The effing new switch had come apart internally. Instead of it only moving up/down, the toggle could be moved 360 degrees. No effing front locker!!

The trail was tough enough that not having both lockers really caused me problems. One spot in particular is a very steep climb up & over a rocky ledge, it's about a 10' climb. I normally lead groups up that trail and climb and never had a problem until yesterday. The rear locker by itself wasn't enough to make it. I finally had to give up and use the winch, it was embarrassing.

I'll buy a three replacement switches locally today at Fry's Electronics (EDIT: Fry's was a waste of time, they hardly have any switches there and none were suitable) so I can see and test them before deciding. Two to replace both switches and the third one to carry in my electrical repair bag I carry in the Jeep.

The moral of the story is that even small seemingly insignificant parts can nearly ruin a day on the trail when they break. :mad:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this. I hate when stuff breaks.

I gotta ask though, what would have kept me from wiring around the switch instead of using the winch? I'd think it would be a similar amount of time but physically less work. Of course I could be wrong.

Reactions: Imapepper
Stuff doesn't happen until you need things the most. I realize you've probably heard of these electrical suppliers, but Del City and Waytek wiring have great selections of switches if Fry's doesn't work out.

Alas, radio shack used to have good switches.

Sorry about your ruined outing.

Sorry to hear about this. I hate when stuff breaks.

I gotta ask though, what would have kept me from wiring around the switch instead of using the winch? I'd think it would be a similar amount of time but physically less work. Of course I could be wrong.
The Jeep was in a precarious position by the time it was discovered the front locker was inop, it had slid to the side so it was no longer in a position where it would have been easy to back up to start over again or wire around the switch.

It would have been a 15 minute job to get the switch out and twisted the wires together to get the locker working again but only on flat ground. Not to mention there were others behind me so it was time to use the winch.

The day definitely wasn't ruined, it just made me appreciate my lockers more lol.

Order a switch from a actual electronics supplier, they're usually cheaper and you know exactly what you're getting.

https://www.digikey.com/https://www.mouser.com/
I've ordered parts from both of those over the years, they are good suppliers. I got lazy when I ordered the switches from Amazon, they were an add-on to a larger order. Having spent 30+ years in the electronics industry I had never had a problem with that type of switch so I figured the "Heavy-Duty" switches I bought on Amazon would be fine. Nope.

This isn't me but it shows the last part of the climb where I slid over more toward the right-side. The final section is slick smooth rock which is where the second locker comes in handy.

Last edited:
Hi all. This is my first post so I’m brand new to this forum and also to starting on my 2001 TJ. I would love to get some expert advice on doing some things to my Jeep and I’ve been impressed with reading posts from this group (Jerry the Guru seems to really know stuff!!). I want to get a new set of tires and will also get wheels to go with them. I am reading about this stuff and can’t seem to get a straight answer on max potential sizes of tires to go along with the 15” wheels to get them mounted on the Jeep. None of the vendors will answer any question other than “here’s what the manufacturer recommends but I see other people saying that it fits etc. if I get either the 31X10.5 do I need a lift kit? what about putting on 33” inchers? I’m also thinking about 12.5” width tires. I’d like to avoid the lift kit but it looks like any increase in tire size might hit the front sway bar on full turn. If I have to lift it then what is the max i can go to avoid messing up the drive train? Lastly, on the wheels there is the wheel width and back set. Does it make a difference on what backset we get. I’m looking at the Method 15X8 or better yet the 15X10” wheels that have a -24mm spec. I’m going to replace the fenders btw with something like the tubular Barracade fenders any how so I don’t expect the fenders hitting the outbound tires will be an issue. OK, thanks for the help.

Hi all. This is my first post so I’m brand new to this forum and also to starting on my 2001 TJ. I would love to get some expert advice on doing some things to my Jeep and I’ve been impressed with reading posts from this group (Jerry the Guru seems to really know stuff!!). I want to get a new set of tires and will also get wheels to go with them. I am reading about this stuff and can’t seem to get a straight answer on max potential sizes of tires to go along with the 15” wheels to get them mounted on the Jeep. None of the vendors will answer any question other than “here’s what the manufacturer recommends but I see other people saying that it fits etc. if I get either the 31X10.5 do I need a lift kit? what about putting on 33” inchers? I’m also thinking about 12.5” width tires. I’d like to avoid the lift kit but it looks like any increase in tire size might hit the front sway bar on full turn. If I have to lift it then what is the max i can go to avoid messing up the drive train? Lastly, on the wheels there is the wheel width and back set. Does it make a difference on what backset we get. I’m looking at the Method 15X8 or better yet the 15X10” wheels that have a -24mm spec. I’m going to replace the fenders btw with something like the tubular Barracade fenders any how so I don’t expect the fenders hitting the outbound tires will be an issue. OK, thanks for the help.
Great first post but I would copy everything you wrote above and create a new thread with it as you wrote it. You'll get more helpful information and responses. :)

Last edited:
The Jeep was in a precarious position by the time it was discovered the front locker was inop, it had slid to the side so it was no longer in a position where it would have been easy to back up to start over again or wire around the switch.

It would have been a 15 minute job to get the switch out and twisted the wires together to get the locker working again but only on flat ground. Not to mention there were others behind me so it was time to use the winch.

The day definitely wasn't ruined, it just made me appreciate my lockers more lol.

Well that explains it. Still sorry to hear about the switch.

Jerry, side question. How many times have you rolled a TJ or beached it on its side?
Never rolled a Jeep, just gently flopped my previous TJ on its side once. This was on the Gatekeeper in Doran Canyon at Calico in SoCal maybe 15 years ago. It barely put a small mark on the side of my rocker guard. :)

Sucks to hear. Might be worth checking out Micro Center if you have one near you. They don't have a huge supply of switches, but they do stock some and it may be an option for finding some that you can see and check out before buying.

Jerry, if you will start using the K4 stuff, you won't have another switch issue. Cheap for what you get, you don't park next to any clouds, and phenomenally reliable.

https://www.mckenzies.com/products/k4-sealed-switches-single-pole
I wish I had known about them when I needed to order last week, I would have gone for their switches, they do look good... though for my setup I would have needed DPST. The second set of contacts controls the instrument cluster locker lights.

I'm very happy with the quality of the switches received yesterday and installed this morning. I replaced both of the locker switches with the new ones, I didn't want to leave the old rear locker switch that was still working but have it break too.

This is the post-mortem... the black plastic part circled in red broke in half. The toggle fits into the middle of that piece & flips the two rocker contacts sitting on the left. Cheaply made for sure.