Sound Deadening 101

I've read about sound deadening/heat insulation in TJ's a few times, but I've never seen anyone mention anything about weatherproofing it. If water gets into the tub, will it find its way to the drain holes? Will it be held between the tub and deadening material and cause rust spots?

I've read about sound deadening/heat insulation in TJ's a few times, but I've never seen anyone mention anything about weatherproofing it. If water gets into the tub, will it find its way to the drain holes? Will it be held between the tub and deadening material and cause rust spots?
When we replaced the carpet I had full intentions of doing that. Then I found carpeting that had it as the backing. Came from ACC and works great.

My assumption is most folks are still cutting out the material and still utilizing the drain plugs, but I would be curious to see what folks are doing. Mine is in the garage nightly but i do occasionally get caught out in the rain.

My assumption is most folks are still cutting out the material and still utilizing the drain plugs, but I would be curious to see what folks are doing. Mine is in the garage nightly but i do occasionally get caught out in the rain.

I'm still utilizing the drain plugs.

Buuuuuut I still have nightmares about water getting in unseen and soaking into the material and destroying my floor.

I've been wondering this as well. It seems like it would be easy for water to get trapped. I think I'd prefer carpet because I can pull it out to dry it and the floor, clean it, vac water out, etc. BUT I'm not sure that carpet will block the heat and noise as well as the dynamat type materials.

Reactions: Tob
I've been wondering this as well. It seems like it would be easy for water to get trapped. I think I'd prefer carpet because I can pull it out to dry it and the floor, clean it, vac water out, etc. BUT I'm not sure that carpet will block the heat and noise as well as the dynamat type materials.
Right. Which leads me to believe some kind of spray-on like Lizard Skin + carpet over that may be the best bet.

Mind you i haven't had the sound deadening for long, maybe a month. But IMO it was a waste of money.

I know some people on here praised their results and the difference but I really don't notice a difference... Like at all lol To the point I felt kinda silly even doing the mod afterwards. I really think a lot of people's success with this product for a TJ is in their heads.

If I could go back I'd keep the $150 or whatever it was and put it towards a better mod.

I've had great success with sound deadener and heat shield. Check my build thread for details. Just search "ethel". If it was all in my head an entire multi million dollar car industry would be faking it for a couple decades now.

If your gonna get it wet inside or go mud bogging. This isnt for you. Water will most likely get trapped between the seams. Also if your not running a good sealed soft top or hard top. The road noise will probably drowned out any sound deadening you've done.

I have not read any real world tests. But i doubt a spray on is going to get you anywhere closer to the sound deadening level of actual sound deadener. You can also ask the site owner @Chris. He did sound deadener and mat to great results.

But again, if your mud bogging or getting your carpet seriously wet. I would not do this. The best would be to get ACC carpet with mass backing from rockauto. You could take that in and out as much as you like and dry it out. And still get some good sound deadening. Buy the normal thickness. The thicker essex will not dry out as fast.

Reactions: Chris
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PX2C8DC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

is this the same EZ-Cool Product? I’m thinking of doing a layer of Noico 80 and then A layer of EZ cool, I mostly want the thermal insulation, but a little less noise might be nice, especially as this is a DD

Really sorry i missed your post. The car insulation i used. Used to be called ez cool. Looks like the same stuff. Not sure which is a better deal. It works really well. If you have room you could double up on the drive train area.

I've had great success with sound deadener and heat shield. Check my build thread for details. Just search "ethel". If it was all in my head an entire multi million dollar car industry would be faking it for a couple decades now.

Bit dramatic lol The entire multi million dollar car industry has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. You're comparing billions of vehicles mass produced with sound deadening, to an after market product installed on a Jeep TJ. There's a big difference lol

For me it's one of those mods that some people seem to have really great luck with, and some don't. I just fall under the category of people who see it as a useless mod when it comes to our vehicles specifically, not the entire automotive industry.

If you install a quality rubber product the physics involved will provide an audible improvement. It's a pretty simple principle at work. The quality of the original condition is the variable.... not what a quality product can do.

Really sorry i missed your post. The car insulation i used. Used to be called ez cool. Looks like the same stuff. Not sure which is a better deal. It works really well. If you have room you could double up on the drive train area.
NP, wound up replacing the body shift boot and that solved my problems.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Bit dramatic lol The entire multi million dollar car industry has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. You're comparing billions of vehicles mass produced with sound deadening, to an after market product installed on a Jeep TJ. There's a big difference lol

For me it's one of those mods that some people seem to have really great luck with, and some don't. I just fall under the category of people who see it as a useless mod when it comes to our vehicles specifically, not the entire automotive industry.

I wasn't referring to the multi million dollar automotive industry overall. I was referring to the multi million dollar "sound deadening" automotive industry. But if you want to bring in the entire vehicle manufacturing industry too. By all means. If it didn't work automotive makers wouldn't put it in almost every single vehicle manufactured. Including our Jeeps. Every Jeep carpet has a padding that includes extra sound deadening layers around the tunnel. And aluminum heat shield. Just not enough of it. Especially the sound deadening part. Modern vehicles interior panels are covered with sound deadener. Cars from 50 years ago had tar paper applied to the floor as sound and heat shielding. It's been around that long.

I don't think you know what your talking about. I think you need to do some research before you start making expert claims. About products you obviously know nothing about. Nor want to know about. So I'm going to bow out of this conversation. Sound deadening is a science that has worked in all manners of enclosed spaces. Everything from houses to vehicles and beyond. For many decades.

I just finished applying Noico 80, EZ Cool insulation, and then covered with bedrug over the entire rhino lined tub of my 2005 Jeep LJ with a hardtop and it has made a world of difference. I also put a diff insulation from a diff post on the underside of the hood. I have left over material and will do the inside of the doors next then tackle the hardtop with headliner. This is my daily driver and the noise has improved so much I'm putting in a bluetooth stereo so now I can talk handsfree. Thanks for all of the info.