Spacer lift pros and cons

RyanMkTJ

Hey all, I’m thinking about doing a 1.5inch suspension spacer lift on my 98 TJ. I’m currently running 31’s on stock suspension. What have been your experiences with spacer lifts? Pros and cons? I’m wanting to go that route and not a full suspension lift for cost reason

38085AAA-6400-4128-8BE0-6A42B162FFAE.jpeg

Reactions: matkal
No matter which you do, you will need longer shocks for the increased ride height. So the cost savings aren't as much as one might think.

Due to coil bind, too much spacer lift will decrease up travel more than a spring lift will. I don't know at what point, but an 1.5" is not a small spacer.

Spacers have their place, but not when they create a compromise to the shock travel.

With new shocks, which can be added to the RC spacer lift, will that help decrease coil bind?
Shocks don't create coil bind. Thick spacers do. Coil bind reduces the otherwise normally available up travel because the spring and spacer become a solid mass before a longer lift spring would.

Shocks don't create coil bind. Thick spacers do. Coil bind reduces the otherwise normally available up travel because the spring and spacer become a solid mass before a longer lift spring would.
Would you say that a spacer lift actually reduces on trail capability because of the reduction of travel? Obviously spacers would lift the frame for more clearance but at what cost to articulation? I don’t want to put a lift on just for the look, I want to increase off-road ability without spending thousands on a lift and steering components.

Would you say that a spacer lift actually reduces on trail capability because of the reduction of travel? Obviously spacers would lift the frame for more clearance but at what cost to articulation? I don’t want to put a lift on just for the look, I want to increase off-road ability without spending thousands on a lift and steering components.
All things being equal, a thick spacer reduces suspension travel compared to a spring lift IF the spacer causes coil bind where a lift spring wouldn't. I consider an unnecessary loss of up travel to be a loss of performance both on and off road.

All other requirements for steering, control arms, track bar, etc apply to the resulting increase in ride height. Spacer or no spacer won't change that.

Reactions: psrivats and pc1p
All things being equal, a thick spacer reduces suspension travel compared to a spring lift IF the spacer causes coil bind where a lift spring wouldn't. I consider an unnecessary loss of up travel to be a loss of performance both on and off road.

All other requirements for steering, control arms, track bar, etc apply to the resulting increase in ride height. Spacer or no spacer won't change that.
Good to know you consider it a decrease in performance. My thinking on a 1.5inch lift is the stock steering components would still be able to handle that increase in lift. Everything I’ve read says that a 2” lift and higher steering components are necessary. Therefore a 1.5” lift wouldn’t require steering components.

With a 1.75” spacer and stock coil I had no bind with a hair under 6” up. With correct size shocks in stock location you shouldn’t have that much up, wouldn’t worry about bind.

I ran that because any higher would be a forward rake and I was happy where the front sat with a 2” coil.

It’s the same work to just put new springs in though so I’d just do that unless you don’t want more lift than the spacer provides.

Reactions: srimes and RyanMkTJ
Look its like this "so up to you" many many people put a 2" spacer lift on a TJ without changing stock length shocks and they are running around all over the place! you do not need to change shocks for a 1.5" spacer lift plain and simple unless you want to go down the wheeling mod rabbit hole! Is it ideal? No! is it acceptable? Yes! can you do it? yes! Your Choice :)

Reactions: SPECWAR
I fitted a 2 inch Rough Country spacer lift with shocks and looks and drives great ,

No steering problems, Levelled it our as well and was cheap

But I am no expert and a new comer to a TJ

Reactions: RyanMkTJ
I fitted a 2 inch Rough Country spacer lift with shocks and looks and drives great ,

No steering problems, Levelled it our as well and was cheap

But I am no expert and a new comer to a TJ
You’ve don’t it so that makes you more an expert than me. Thanks.

Look its like this "so up to you" many many people put a 2" spacer lift on a TJ without changing stock length shocks and they are running around all over the place! you do not need to change shocks for a 1.5" spacer lift plain and simple unless you want to go down the wheeling mod rabbit hole! Is it ideal? No! is it acceptable? Yes! can you do it? yes! Your Choice :)
Thanks, that’s good to know. I don’t want to go fully down the wheeling rabbit hole with this build. Just a weekend warrior. I’m thinking spacer with new struts will be a good plan based on what I’m reading here.

I just use my TJ for dogs , beach and just running around local etc, The RC lift kit was cheap and fitted very easy, I also fitted 1 inch spacers to wheels just to bring them out a bit, I am happy with the look and drive and that is all that matters, I live in Southern Spain so all the bits I buy have to come from the States and costs me double with taxes and post,

I did a .75" spacer lift on mine with 31" tires and stock length springs with NO problems whatsoever. *I* think it looks "exactly right" with same:
View attachment 296723
You’re just the type of person I wanted to hear from. Glad it’s working out for you. I’ve been toying with doing the 3/4 or the 1.5”. Your Jeep is great reference for what the 3/4 look like.

Reactions: TheGanzman
I just use my TJ for dogs , beach and just running around local etc, The RC lift kit was cheap and fitted very easy, I also fitted 1 inch spacers to wheels just to bring them out a bit, I am happy with the look and drive and that is all that matters, I live in Southern Spain so all the bits I buy have to come from the States and costs me double with taxes and post,
That’s good to hear. Thanks for the input.

Are your stock springs sagging any? If so a spacer may just bring you closer or a little more than stock. 12” front/ 8” rear

have you ever driven a TJ with only 2" of downtravel?

There are also plenty of people running around all over the place saying their TJ's drive like shit because of their lift. I bet that group has a lot of overlap with the one you described.

1639756761080.png

Good to know you consider it a decrease in performance. My thinking on a 1.5inch lift is the stock steering components would still be able to handle that increase in lift. Everything I’ve read says that a 2” lift and higher steering components are necessary. Therefore a 1.5” lift wouldn’t require steering components.

to be clear, it won't be any less uptravel than you have now, but it won't be as much as you could have with a new spring. So you still gain the advantages of ride height and tire clearance, you just may not get as much of the benefit in uptravel that you could get otherwise. I would still consider it a net positive, as long as you also get the appropriate length shocks.