Spare tire carrier

BonesXX

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I currently don’t keep my spare mounted on the Jeep. I am about to take a trip and would like to see what everyone is using to mount the spare to the tailgate.

I want the mount to open with the tailgate. I got rid of the old bumper with the swing out because it was a pain if you use the tailgate a lot.

I have 33x12.5. I also have the Metalcloak slim rear bumper.

IMG_2020.jpeg

I currently don’t keep my spare mounted on the Jeep. I am about to take a trip and would like to see what everyone is using to mount the spare to the tailgate.

I want the mount to open with the tailgate. I got rid of the old bumper with the swing out because it was a pain if you use the tailgate a lot.

I have 33x12.5. I also have the Metalcloak slim rear bumper.

View attachment 444937

Most use the MoRyde or Exogate.

I’ve used it, but eventually went with a spare delete. It’s solid up to a 35” tire.

Last edited:
Morryde hinge reinforcement. Very solid and minimal way to fit a 35" spare without heavy, expensive, and bulky swing away tire carriers.

I have 33s on it and it's more than capable of handling it.

Thanks for the replies. I have 33x12.5x15 with 3.75 backspacing. I am just 1 lb over the stock spec weight. I don’t want the spare lifted.

If you are running stock carrier what did you do with regard to snubbers and extensions etc.?

Been looking into going from my crappy swing-out to the OEM carrier as well (with a bumper support, and upper tailgate hinge roll-bar tie-in).
Anyone know the weight of the factory tire/wheel on a Rubi? Curious how much heavier my 33x10.5’s with 15x8 steelies are.

I have a question.
2003 Wrangler X, 4.0L 5sp

I just upgraded to ~31" tires, and I can't get the damn spare on my OEM spare tire carrier mount because of it hitting the bumper.
Is there a real simple solution to this ??? The OEM rims & tires I believe are 29" and clear just fine.

I'm even using a 5x4.5 to 5x5 lug adaptor pushing it out more but still hits the double tube bumper and can't mount it
Am I going to need to buy a spare tire carrier or something to get it to clear ??? Any recommendations to resolve ??

I have a question.
2003 Wrangler X, 4.0L 5sp

I just upgraded to ~31" tires, and I can't get the damn spare on my OEM spare tire carrier mount because of it hitting the bumper.
Is there a real simple solution to this ??? The OEM rims & tires I believe are 29" and clear just fine.

I'm even using a 5x4.5 to 5x5 lug adaptor pushing it out more but still hits the double tube bumper and can't mount it
Am I going to need to buy a spare tire carrier or something to get it to clear ??? Any recommendations to resolve ??

Get a wheel spacer and step it out or a relocation adapter plate- they are out there .

Thanks for the replies. I have 33x12.5x15 with 3.75 backspacing. I am just 1 lb over the stock spec weight. I don’t want the spare lifted.

If you are running stock carrier what did you do with regard to snubbers and extensions etc.?

My local hardware store has packs of rubber spacers. I used a longer bolt, the stock snubber, and multiple packs of spacers to get the exact fit.

My local hardware store has packs of rubber spacers. I used a longer bolt, the stock snubber, and multiple packs of spacers to get the exact fit.

Love to see a pic if you have a chance to take a couple. This sounds like what I want to do.

Last edited:
I picked up a stock carrier for $20 yesterday. Needs painting. Is there a good rattle can powdercoat?

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

Sanded it with some 100 and then 400. Primed and got the first coat on.

IMG_0241.jpeg

Used this. Love the adjustable spray. When I painted cars I always set my pressure a tad low so that I could use a bit more paint without sags or dry spots. Putting this on the low setting was close to that. Of course I was painting lacquer, acrylic enamel,poly chrome and later imron when it was the shit.

IMG_0242.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper