Speaker question

What amazes me, is how good class D amps have gotten. They are nearing a class A/B in quality of sound. I doubt that they will ever get the Class A sound though... I'd hate for a lower class amp to sound better than my Dynaco ST80 class A amp...
Yes, I heard this amp before I picked it up and was very impressed with it's sound, very clean for a Class D amp. I had originally been running Orion amps, the older G amps before they sold out to Directed. Awesome amps. but drain batteries fast.

Those 3D printed pods are pretty interesting. I actually do have access to a 3D printer at my college so maybe I'll be able to print them. Also for the polyfil, does any polyester filling work? I was looking at this one on amazon and it was half the price of the one Chris reccomended here which only has one left in stock

Those 3D printed pods are pretty interesting. I actually do have access to a 3D printer at my college so maybe I'll be able to print them. Also for the polyfil, does any polyester filling work? I was looking at this one on amazon and it was half the price of the one Chris reccomended here which only has one left in stock
Pillow stuffing costs 1/20th as much and is the exact same thing.

@skrelnik @Chris

First post. Currently working on sound setup and wanted to thank both of you for the knowledge you've shared here and on other threads regarding audio setups - I pulled heavily from both of you. Enough so that when I went to live chat at crutchfield and said "I'm and idiot but I think I got this right" he only had minor adjustments on wires and plugs. So thank you for helping me learn.

-

Would love to hear how I did. Went with the KS series from Kicker. Tweeters, dash panel corners, and sound bar. Sound Ordinance M-75 to power it all and small enough to mount behind the dash. HU with room for a independantly powered underseat sub down the road ('98 so no center sub from factory). With buying some open boxes and scratch and dent I made it out for 625 before tax.

Parts:

Pioneer MVH-S522BS
Kicker 47KSS504
Kicker 44KSC6504
Sound Ordnance M75-4

Plans for a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD down the road (dropped the hint to the GF already haha)

@skrelnik @Chris

First post. Currently working on sound setup and wanted to thank both of you for the knowledge you've shared here and on other threads regarding audio setups - I pulled heavily from both of you. Enough so that when I went to live chat at crutchfield and said "I'm and idiot but I think I got this right" he only had minor adjustments on wires and plugs. So thank you for helping me learn.

-

Would love to hear how I did. Went with the KS series from Kicker. Tweeters, dash panel corners, and sound bar. Sound Ordinance M-75 to power it all and small enough to mount behind the dash. HU with room for a independantly powered underseat sub down the road ('98 so no center sub from factory).

Sounds like you did a good job. I mean I can certainly help you spend even more on your sound system, but being that it's a TJ you have to accept "good enough" at some point.

I think the second time around my entire sound system ended up being a little under $3000. @Kevin E has my rig now, so hopefully he's enjoying that very expensive sound system ;)

Sounds like you did a good job. I mean I can certainly help you spend even more on your sound system, but being that it's a TJ you have to accept "good enough" at some point.

I think the second time around my entire sound system ended up being a little under $3000. @Kevin E has my rig now, so hopefully he's enjoying that very expensive sound system ;)
You know it🤣

Reactions: Chris
@skrelnik @Chris

-

Would love to hear how I did. Went with the KS series from Kicker. Tweeters, dash panel corners, and sound bar. Sound Ordinance M-75 to power it all and small enough to mount behind the dash. HU with room for a independantly powered underseat sub down the road ('98 so no center sub from factory). With buying some open boxes and scratch and dent I made it out for 625 before tax.

Parts:

Pioneer MVH-S522BS
Kicker 47KSS504
Kicker 44KSC6504
Sound Ordnance M75-4

Plans for a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD down the road (dropped the hint to the GF already haha)

I always wanted to use this one:

This thread is worthless without pics

You did great with those purchases.

1) Pioneer makes some great head units, out of the name brands they are right up there with Kenwood and Alpine as the top 3, IMHO. I assume you have no CDs to play and are a streamer, and this unit has BT 4.0, which should be good for you. We are up to 5.0 now, but you will be a-okay with 4.0. This head unit has some neat features to integrate with your phone. Hopefully you are playing around with those functions to see how they work.

2) Those Kicker 47KSS504 are the (i) best economical, (ii) readily available and (iii) easy to install upgrade to maximize sound improvement in our TJ/LJ. Great choice and let us know how they sound?

3) Again, pairing these C Series Kickers are great, 6.5" to get a little more bass out of them over the 5.25", plus they have a nice sild 3/4" tweeter to "fill" the rear sound.

4) Solid choice of amplifier - Small and compact, and a great pairing for the Kicker speakers.

5) Great idea for that self powered sub - although I am a fan of tradition subs, this is a great way to add some bass into our TJ/LJs while keeping our limited space available, and not making our TJ/LJ prone to theft.

I would also look at the Kenwood KSC-PSW8 or if you want to spend a couple more bucks, and if you can fit a 10", I would look into this BLAM version. Ground Zero and Phoeniz Gold also make some nice 10" slim lines, but they are way more expensive than this BLAM.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-KSC-PSW8-Ksc-Psw8-250W-Compact-Powered-Subwoofer/984093311
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Blam...bwoofer-with-built-in-250w-amplifier-BL-MSA25

That amp was so sick that you had, I really wanted to make you an offer to buy some of the system from you. Your system was as good as it gets for a TJ without making a target for theft.

I always wanted to use this one:

This thread is worthless without pics

You did great with those purchases.

1) Pioneer makes some great head units, out of the name brands they are right up there with Kenwood and Alpine as the top 3, IMHO. I assume you have no CDs to play and are a streamer, and this unit has BT 4.0, which should be good for you. We are up to 5.0 now, but you will be a-okay with 4.0. This head unit has some neat features to integrate with your phone. Hopefully you are playing around with those functions to see how they work.

2) Those Kicker 47KSS504 are the (i) best economical, (ii) readily available and (iii) easy to install upgrade to maximize sound improvement in our TJ/LJ. Great choice and let us know how they sound?

3) Again, pairing these C Series Kickers are great, 6.5" to get a little more bass out of them over the 5.25", plus they have a nice sild 3/4" tweeter to "fill" the rear sound.

4) Solid choice of amplifier - Small and compact, and a great pairing for the Kicker speakers.

5) Great idea for that self powered sub - although I am a fan of tradition subs, this is a great way to add some bass into our TJ/LJs while keeping our limited space available, and not making our TJ/LJ prone to theft.

I would also look at the Kenwood KSC-PSW8 or if you want to spend a couple more bucks, and if you can fit a 10", I would look into this BLAM version. Ground Zero and Phoeniz Gold also make some nice 10" slim lines, but they are way more expensive than this BLAM.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-KSC-PSW8-Ksc-Psw8-250W-Compact-Powered-Subwoofer/984093311
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Blam...bwoofer-with-built-in-250w-amplifier-BL-MSA25

That amp was so sick that you had, I really wanted to make you an offer to buy some of the system from you. Your system was as good as it gets for a TJ without making a target for theft.

I’m hoping a similar system goes into this Camaro 😉

CD's..LOL
Mine are safely stored at home in their vault. Now days I load them on my computer and place a copy of the music library on a USB drive..

Good times!

I have a buddy, not kidding, we love our music but he is over the top. He will not buy a car without a CD player in there...he also has a huge record collection to play at his house...very old school.

I am in between - I use CD's but also stream via spotify and I have been putting my music onto a USB stick but I cannot get great sound quality from that USB and my CDs to play much better than the USB stick. Spotify is even better than the USB stick, but I am trying!

I’m hoping a similar system goes into this Camaro 😉

Do you have thread on this forum about this Camaro or are you in another Camaro forum?

As someone who used to be into car audio (can't afford it now that I have a Jeep lol), just keep in mind if you're going for quality sound: Kicker is not known for quality. More known for sub par components that will be loud enough, etc. This will probably be 'good enough' for a Jeep with a soft top.

However, if you are really interested in quality sound (probably hard top with sound insulation) then I would avoid anything made by Kicker. You can spend a little more for even JL and get better sound. Similar to Jeeps, you get what you pay for. If you just want it louder and better than OEM, Kicker, Sony, Pioneer (or most of the stuff on Crutchfield) is just fine.

If you are focusing on sound quality, the amp and speakers are your most important components. Back when I was into car audio, it was recommended that you spend 70% of you budget on speakers. Head units might make a little difference, but honestly not that much. A $200 Alpine single din HU is going to sound very similar to a $1000+ unit (if not exactly the same).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: skrelnik
I didn't even know my Jeep had other speakers in it. I can't hear them (or my wife talking). :unsure:
SPEAKER BOX (4).jpg

I have a buddy, not kidding, we love our music but he is over the top. He will not buy a car without a CD player in there...he also has a huge record collection to play at his house...very old school.

I am in between - I use CD's but also stream via spotify and I have been putting my music onto a USB stick but I cannot get great sound quality from that USB and my CDs to play much better than the USB stick. Spotify is even better than the USB stick, but I am trying!

Do you have thread on this forum about this Camaro or are you in another Camaro forum?
I record the most mp3's at a 320 BR, which is still better than the streaming services out there. Fortunately I could plug in a portable CD player or Blu-ray if need be.