Speakers

The 1 and 2 star Amazon.com reviews of that radio are pretty damning so far as I am concerned. Have you had the issues they're complaining about MexiJeeper?

The speakers I bought have 89db (rollbar) and 92db (dash) sensitivity or whatever you call it. I'm assuming my pioneer DEH something or another can power those well enough. They shipped out this morning so I'll see what they sound like when they get here.

The 1 and 2 star Amazon.com reviews of that radio are pretty damning so far as I am concerned. Have you had the issues they're complaining about MexiJeeper?

No issues at all but I haven't tried to use all the features yet. Little buttons might be an issue to those that change channels often but since there is no listenable music on Mexican radio I listen exclusively to my Sirius tuner. I change stations with the big knob on the tuner.
DSC07771.JPG

What is also important about car audio is RMS (head unit and speakers). "RMS power rating is the measure of continuous power that an amplifier can output, or a speaker can handle." Matching the head unit, and or amp with the speakers is important. Advertised wattage for speakers or amps is generally their max handling. You may have a head unit that is rated at 50W/channel. This is the max output. Look at what your RMs is for the unit. Match the speakers to that and you will have a better sounding system. Lets say your speakers are 160W max but are 40W RMs, and your head unit is 50W/channel max but only 25W RMS, you will be under powering your speakers and not getting the peroformance they are capable of. In this scenario, you should get a amp to drive the system to match the RMS of the speakers.

It is also important, when matching an amp to your head unit, that the amp can accept and process the output voltage of the head unit through it's RCA jacks (within it's input range). When tuning the AMP for the speakers, turn the gain down on the amp to 25-30%. Then, turn the volume of the head unit to about half or a little more (general point at where THD starts). Then turn the amp up to just before the speakers start to distort. This will give you the cleanest sound and not overdrive the system into to much THD (total harmonic distortion).

Keep in mind that just because a speaker is rated to 40 watts RMS doesn't mean it requires 40 watts RMS to drive it to a normal listening level. If you drove that speaker with 40 watts RMS, your hearing would be hurting in a matter of minutes. How many watts it takes to make the speaker 'sound good' is dependent on its Sensitivity rating, not its max RMS wattage rating which only how much power it can handle before it starts distorting or overheating.

Like putting a tire rated to 160 mph onto a car that has the power to make it to 160 mph doesn't mean it has to be driven at 160 mph to work well. Which also means you can install tires rated to only 120 mph on a car that could make it to 160 mph without ill effects so long as you never drove over that 120 mph speed. Same with speakers. :)

How much of a difference in sound quality is there between the 5.25" and 6.50" soundbar speakers?