Squeaking noise after off-roading

dom.robles

I got some snow in the local mountains a few days back and I took my 99 2.5 up to play around in. It's a pretty mellow dirt road but there were a few puddles and some dust at the bottom where it was dry. When i hit the pavement i started hearing a squeaking noise which i had a good bit of trouble pinpointing. thought it could be a pebble stuck between the rotor and pad but that doesn't seem to be the case now i'm thinking it may be the front drive shaft. im not all that familiar with the drive shaft assembly but im eager to learn especially if thats what the issue is. I will attach a clip of the noise and i appreciate any feedback you guys can give me!

ps. i already hosed down the drivetrain and undercarriage rather thoroughly if that makes a difference.

Sounds (and looks) like it coincides with the rotations of the driveshaft.
Usually the transfer case end joint of the front shaft.

You could disconnect the axle end and tie it up. See if the noise goes away.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like angry sparrows to me. Pull the driveshaft at the axle and see if it goes away. If so, then you need to rebuild.

Sounds like d.shaft to me also. Just by the white tag on your front shaft as it rotates.
But what happens when you drag the brakes (keep rolling)? If that changes the sound then I would pull the tires and do a thorough inspection. A caliper hanging up or a stone/stick jammed in there...

dug around the drive train today and tracked the noise to the front drive shaft. ended up pulling the shaft and it seems like the the issue came from the common failing double cardan joint. i will attach a clip of the culprit. with the shaft out the noise is gone so thats a step in the right direction. im now trying to decide whether i should just order a new ds bc im pretty sure this one is a little over 20 yrs old, or should i just buy a rebuild kit for the noisy joint. im leaning much further toward a rebuild due to price concerns. any recommendations for certain kits or advice for undergoing a rebuild would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_9992.MOV
    3.3 MB
I would replace the 3 Ujoints too. My NY front driveshaft is severely corroded and the slip joint doesn't like to move much for some reason. When it's time for a rebuild I will probably get a new entire driveshaft.
The rear shaft looks brand new. Paint still shiny and tags still stuck on tight. Very little more than some surface rust elsewhere underneath. Odd. 🤷‍♂️