Squeaky steering wheel

Creakydoor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
For a long time now (1+ years), my steering wheel makes a squeaking noise when it's cold. The sound is from inside the car, not outside. It happens less when it's warmer. I haven't really tried to debug where it is yet, but I thought I'd ping here in case someone knows the answer already.

I've attached a video where you can hear it.

Attachments

• Squeaky-Steering2.MOV
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,571
Haha I know exactly what you are talking about. I am in AZ and believe it or not it gets cold enough for mine to squeak too. Right underneath your brake booster is a rubber grommet where your steering wheel column goes through the firewall. It is supposed to be pliable but when it gets cold it gets solid. I have sprayed mine with wd-40 or silicone spray and it works, but not for long. It eventually just evaporates. You could probably put some white grease in there, and that would probably last longer, but here it gets hot, and exposed grease turns into liquid when it gets hot. I probably should just replace it, but seems like a lot of work, and it usually goes away after a couple of blocks and is only there on cold days, so like you I haven't spent too much time on it, but if you have a pretty consistent pattern, you could spray it with something before you take off, just to see if that is really your issue too.

Wd-40 should quiet it down enough for you to diagnose the problem, but it will come back in a few days if I am right.

I had some success getting silicone grease, not the spray, in the rubber bushing with a toothpick. So far hasn't squeaked in over a year. Every spray I've tried seems to dry out eventually and the squeaking will come back.

Chalk me up to having the same problem. I try and spray it down with a grease or something else in the colder months.

I sprayed PB Blaster and it stopped it for 1 day.
Sprayed it with this on Sunday and this morning it was only 6* out and still quiet as a church mouse! FBAA52CF-8347-4960-998E-8AA77B566ED2.jpeg

I have a newly purchased ‘99 Sport and I’m no mechanic (well unless it’s you’re home HVAC system). Could someone supply a picture of where to lubricate? Thanks.