Steering box upgrade: Is this a gimmick?

wmblore

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
My steering box is rusty and leaking. Wondering if I should clean up and rebuild, by a remanufactured or something like this amazon add since I will be going to 35’s. Is this amazon unit just hype?
Thanks

AA53EA7B-A6C2-41EB-AFD3-EC786871503A.png

Not really. It is from an IFS vehicle and has a bushing instead of a bearing at the upper end of the sector shaft. All the aftermarket offroad steering builders machine that out to accept a bearing that is standard in gears on all SFA rigs.
That makes sense.

What do you usually recommend then? PSC steering gear?

If you want to upgrade it, go with a PSC unit. That unit in the link doesn’t appear to be any sort of “upgrade”, just a factory replacement.

Basically, stock unit is fine with 35’s?
Is rebuilding an OEM unit fairly straightforward?

I saw Lares has a "rockcrawler" box on RockAuto which is supposed to be a durango box with the bushings replaced with bearings. $300 bucks though. I also couldnt find any one that had installed to so had no real world experience. There was also information out there that a steering box from an 03+ Chevy S10 could work, but again there wasnt enough info out there that I could find that suggested it had bearings or bushings. I ended up going with a reman'd unit from NAPA at $175.

This is a pretty detailed article on how to rebuild a saginaw box
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/129-0801-saginaw-steering-box-rebuild/

Reactions: wmblore
I don't recommend any. I use PSC and a lot of it but it is expensive. When you have a problem, you'll know it and solutions will present themselves.
What do you use for the 03-06 when the gear goes bad? Remanufactured OE steering boxes? Looking at those they’re not cheap

Basically, stock unit is fine with 35’s?

Yes, the stock unit is just fine with 35s.

What he's saying is that there's no need to "upgrade" the steering box unless you can actually find a reason to upgrade it (i.e. you need hydro assist). If you really want to upgrade it just for shits and giggles (for instance, you're a "mod collector" like I am), then add a PSC unit.

But you certainly won't need it with 35s unless you're out in the rocks doing some really hard wheeling, at which point the problem will present itself.

Reactions: wmblore
Yes, the stock unit is just fine with 35s.

What he's saying is that there's no need to "upgrade" the steering box unless you can actually find a reason to upgrade it (i.e. you need hydro assist). If you really want to upgrade it just for shits and giggles (for instance, you're a "mod collector" like I am), then add a PSC unit.

But you certainly won't need it with 35s unless you're out in the rocks doing some really hard wheeling, at which point the problem will present itself.
Thanks Chris, definitely nothing that hard for me. I know I have a leak and clean up so wasn’t sure which way to go.

Thanks Chris, definitely nothing that hard for me. I know I have a leak and clean up so wasn’t sure which way to go.

I'd just replace it with a stock one, or have your existing one rebuilt. I'm not sure who rebuilds them, but I'm pretty sure they can be rebuilt fairly easily (could be wrong).

Reactions: Steel City 06
I'd just replace it with a stock one, or have your existing one rebuilt. I'm not sure who rebuilds them, but I'm pretty sure they can be rebuilt fairly easily (could be wrong).

West Texas Offroad will rebuild it. Though I recall someone saying they didnt get their same box back...A buddy of mine has used them for a few boxes and he really likes working with them.

West Texas Offroad will rebuild it. Though I recall someone saying they didnt get their same box back...A buddy of mine has used them for a few boxes and he really likes working with them.

As long as you get a box back that is an OEM unit, I'd be fine with that.

Good to know someone who rebuilds them, I didn't know anyone off the top of my head who did it. I'll have to stat referring them to people.

Stock low mile take outs when we can find them. Typically by that point the owner is ready for something bigger and better.
I should buy one of those from you, if you have any, as a spare as there's no way I can afford a PSC nowadays.

Wmblore, until you can replace your steering box try this... suck out as much of the power steering fluid as you can with a turkey baster than top it off with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. That fixed my previous TJ's leak until I was able to replace it.

Reactions: Chris